Object Fell On Cat

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

The other night I was sleeping and heard a noise. It woke me up so I went to check but didn't see anything so I went back to sleep. My kitten was walking around and was acting normal. In the morning I saw that there were clumps of cat fur on the blanket (Ive never seen her scratch out clumps of hair).

Two or so days later I saw that there was a small bald patch on my kitten's head so had a bit of a closer look and saw a small red scratch. I also saw a small metal figurine on the ground and realised that it had fallen on my kitten's head when she was pulling the table cloth (which was out of the kitten's reach) and that she must have felt the scratch and pulled out the hairs around it. She has been acting fine since - very playful, eating and drinking fine, and there is no bump or swelling. The stratch itself is slightly bumpy but even human scratches protrude a little. The scratch is quite small and the object that fell weighed around 100 grams (she weighs between 1.9-2kg). I guess it would be heavy on such a small head, but I suspect it only scraped past her rather than completely fall on her. The bald patch isnt noticeable too unless you look quite close. Do you think she will be okay? I really do not want to take her to the vet because shes been 3 times in a short period of time which has been really distressing for her. Last time she almost suffocated on an Elizabethan collar on the way home so i want to avoid it. I may need to take her back in a week or two to get her flu checked after she's finished her antibiotics (deoxycyclin) but for now want to avoid it!

Thank you.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to say take her to the vet :sweat:

Are you sure she was hit in the head? Did you see it happen?

Anything involving head trauma frightens me. But I'm glad she's clinically not showing any particular symptoms at the moment. Read up on the symptoms of head trauma. Here's a good complied list:
Brain Injury in Cats | petMD

If taking her to the vet in your opinion has more negatives than positives then I would keep a close eye on her. If you notice any changes then take her to the vet.

A phone call to the vet might prove to be helpful. Some vets will give advice over the phone. It wouldn't hurt to try to call.

Additionally, take a close look around your house and examine it for safety hazards.
This article had some helpful information:
Kitten Proofing Your Home with 10 Easy-to-Follow Tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to say take her to the vet :sweat:

Are you sure she was hit in the head? Did you see it happen?

Anything involving head trauma frightens me. But I'm glad she's clinically not showing any particular symptoms at the moment. Read up on the symptoms of head trauma. Here's a good complied list:
Brain Injury in Cats | petMD

If taking her to the vet in your opinion has more negatives than positives then I would keep a close eye on her. If you notice any changes then take her to the vet.

A phone call to the vet might prove to be helpful. Some vets will give advice over the phone. It wouldn't hurt to try to call.

Additionally, take a close look around your house and examine it for safety hazards.
This article had some helpful information:
Kitten Proofing Your Home with 10 Easy-to-Follow Tips

She doesnt have any of those symptoms listed on the site and no I didnt actually see it happen, but thats what I can assume judging by the evidence I guess. The vet is distressing so I really want to avoid it. I think it looks fine, but I cant help but worry. She is a lot more playful recently, but the whole reason she was walking around the house that night was because she was attacking my feet under my blanket constantly, so she was still playful before this all happened!

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hm...then if you didn't see it happen then the hair loss could be from something else. Do you have any other cats that she plays with? Look at her closely for fleas/bugs. Sometimes hair loss in cats is related to sickness, psychological stress, and many other reasons that are unknown. The medication can also be causing her a side effect. I see patients at times break out in hives or become itchy from antibiotics.

It could also be from getting hit in the head, I suppose. Keep a close eye on her, and phone the vet. Explain to him/her about the major stress your cat goes through. They may be understanding and give some important info over the phone. It would be ideal to have then do a physical assessment, but I can understand how stressful the process is on the both of you.

Keep us updated, and I hope to hear other's opinions....

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm...then if you didn't see it happen then the hair loss could be from something else. Do you have any other cats that she plays with? Look at her closely for fleas/bugs. Sometimes hair loss in cats is related to sickness, psychological stress, and many other reasons that are unknown. The medication can also be causing her a side effect. I see patients at times break out in hives or become itchy from antibiotics.

It could also be from getting hit in the head, I suppose. Keep a close eye on her, and phone the vet. Explain to him/her about the major stress your cat goes through. They may be understanding and give some important info over the phone. It would be ideal to have then do a physical assessment, but I can understand how stressful the process is on the both of you.

Keep us updated, and I hope to hear other's opinions....
The hairloss is only in one spot and thats where the scratch is. She scratched the hair away due to the stinging probably or because she felt like something was stuck there. 100% sure thats why, because she scratches the rest of the body but no hair clumps ever come off. I have no other cats and she has been treated for fleas/worms. She is an indoor kitten and our house is very clean and safe. She was stressed when she first came to my house but she never scratched until this. I will give the vet a call. Thanks

Jmed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The hairloss is only in one spot and thats where the scratch is. She scratched the hair away due to the stinging probably or because she felt like something was stuck there. 100% sure thats why, because she scratches the rest of the body but no hair clumps ever come off. I have no other cats and she has been treated for fleas/worms. She is an indoor kitten and our house is very clean and safe. She was stressed when she first came to my house but she never scratched until this. I will give the vet a call. Thanks
It also does not hurt her when i touch her head, she just dislikes it when i try to pull the hair away around the scratch, but then again she is a wiggler!