Obi Issues...again.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have posted before about Obi and my current concerns. This is an update and I am asking for feedback.

In the past month Obi has had everything done that is reasonable to do. Blood work, xrays, cystocentis (three times); more bloodwork. He is also receiving laser treatment and adequan injections, both of which are for what we think may be some arthritis. He is on pred (5 mg, for GI issues); gabapentin (for Pain); and ondansetron for tummy. He has had several shots of Covenia for the bladder, which only once showed some white cells, no bacteria. Today he had an abdominal ultrasound and it showed nothing, which was a huge relief.

So what is the issue? he eats and goes under the bed. And some days he hangs out there a lot, so most of us here take this as a sign that our kitties are not feeling well.And he has sprayed a couple of times which is the reason for the cystocentesis. His appetite is good, his drinking is good. The vet agreed with me today that something is not right with him; he hissed at her and normally he really likes her, and he was crabby when he was there today. Now on the one hand, who could blame him, I have had him there probably a dozen times in the last month or month and a half.

Dont get me wrong, i am glad that his tests are all good. But something is not right. The vet thinks that perhaps his stools are hard (and they are) and that causes discomfort and possibly the sterile cystitis. So we have him on Miralax and also we just added in Lactulose.

I know this is a LOT of information, but I will appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway diffusers to help stop the spraying? That might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do have a Fellow plug in. I have not discussed anti anxiety medication..he is on gabapentin and in humans, that has mood stabilizing properties. I'll check into whether it does this for cats. Thank you both!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just as a general FYI, it's hard to tell just how effective Feliway actually is. I've seen studies that don't show any effect and also studies that do. My guess is that it may not affect all cats and it's possible that Obi is one of those cats who aren't affected.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wonder about that too, Anne. Maybe Rescue Remedy in his water would be about as helpful or more so.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't believe in homeopathy myself as all peer-reviewed scientific studies show it's nothing more than placebo. However, to each his own and as long as you stick to pet formulas with no alcohol it can't hurt.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, Anne. An update today: it appears that the problem may be: constipation. Which would explain the seeming discomfort after eating, and possibly the stool in the colon pressing on the bladder. I have been increasing the miralax to 1/8 tsp twice a day, and we added in lactulose. Today has been a good day.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
We do have a Fellow plug in. I have not discussed anti anxiety medication..he is on gabapentin and in humans, that has mood stabilizing properties. I'll check into whether it does this for cats. Thank you both!
It does have mood stabilizing properties in humans, but it does bupkis for anxiety in humans. Definitely look for ways, medical and non-medical, for relief of stress.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only found feliway diffusers helped. They're pricey. Spray did nothing. Poor kitty is constipated and stressed. Maybe once the extra miralax works kitty will settle down. Make sure you keep the vet updated on the amount of miralax you're giving (I'm sure you know but wanted to mention anyways).

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
An update today: it appears that the problem may be: constipation. Which would explain the seeming discomfort after eating, and possibly the stool in the colon pressing on the bladder. I have been increasing the miralax to 1/8 tsp twice a day, and we added in lactulose. Today has been a good day.
Yay for a good day! :clap:
Constipation can certainly make a cat cranky. :crossfingers: that the he gets some relief soon!

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arouetta, I know what bupkes is! :crackup:I am happy to report that I think - fingers crossed - Obi is back to his old self. No hiding, mood is cheerful.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well - unfortunately that was short lived. Obi is still eating and retreating. Not sure what to do - everything diagnostic has been done. He comes out pretty willingly for food and treats. But eating and retreating under the bed looks like discomfort to me...?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I missed your initial thread, only saw this one. What about environmental concerns? Has anything at all, even the view outside the window, changed in any way? Have any of your family started going somewhere new that would leave a strange scent? Could it be fear rather than physical pain/discomfort?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, nothing different. The best I can tell you is that he appears to want to be under the bed. when he is out and around, he seems fine. I just dont get it. For example, this AM: he came out from under the bed for his breakfast;he ate and went back under the bed. My gut feeling is that it is something with HIS gut, but he was ultra sounded - nada. However, he could still have some discomfort in relation to not pooping daily. He is on lactulose (recent) and also miralax. I dont know what more I can do... : (

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Gas? Montressor one time showed pain when his sides were touched, I took him to the vet the next day and it turned out that his intestines were full of air - basically he needed to fart. I'm not sure gas would even show up on an ultrasound.

Also how old is he? If a senior kitty he might be feeling his age and wants someplace tiny and secure.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Arouetta, he is indeed senior - he is 17 although he does not look his years and is in good health in general. Gas - possibility. I will ask the vet. I am trying to accept that for whatever reason, he feels safe under the bed and am trying not to stress out about it. He does come out - eventually.