Oberon's first vet visit - scared

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oberon hasn't needed to see a vet since 6 years ago, when I thought he was a feral and had him fixed. He is not feral anymore but scared of people he doesn't know, the vacuum, loud noises, fast movements, Sassy, the vacuum.
Since he has a lot of build up on his teeth he best gets them cleaned professionally, so we have an appointment next Tuesday at the vet... :disturbed:
He's on the left in the picture.

Any tips of how to make this less scary for him? sm-IMG_0260.JPG

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What I do anytime before a Vet visit is put the carrier out with the door open several days before the Vet visit. That way the boys can go in and out of it at their leisure and I often find them sleeping in it. (I put a nice cushion in it to make it comfy). They still don't like it when I close the door on them, and they scream blood murder until I get them in the car, then they go silent. I turn off the music in the car and just talk gently to them all the way to the Vet and tell them what's going to happen and that I'll pick them up later that afternoon, blah, blah, blah (mainly to make ME feel better :wink: ). You can try covering the carrier with a towel while in the car so they can't see all the scary things out there. I've heard that's comforting to them but never tried it myself. Since he'll be going under anesthesia, I probably wouldn't try giving him any calming things like Rescue Remedy for Pets, etc, but you could always call your Vet and ask about that.

Good luck. I'm sure he'll be fine, but be prepared that your other cat may not recognize him when he gets back. He'll smell too much like the vet's office. We always have little tiffs when one comes home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition, your vet may give you an oral sedative to give him before you have to crate him for the trip. The advantage here is that his adrenaline levels won't be through the roof, so he will relax more easily. I'd give it (with the vet's approval) about an hour before crating him. Let him relax from the actual pilling before handling him again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you all for replying. The vet won't give anything before having seen him (vet policy)
I'll let you know how it goes! Oberon is still snuggling his buddy in bliss, I haven't told him yet...

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put some feliway on a towel and put the towel in his carrier before putting him in it, and when we’re in the car I cover the carrier with a blanket since it seems to make him less freaked out about the car ride. Our vet does the fear free thing so they’ll examine cats down on the ground or on the vet’s lap if the cat doesn’t want to sit on the table.

If your cat has a very bad reaction to the vet or car rides, I’d highly recommend asking about pre-visit anti anxiety meds. Lots of cat vets now recommend drugs like gabapentin or trazodone that calm cats but don’t completely sedate them, because for some cats going to the vet is just traumatizing even with all the treats and feliway in the world and medication can make it a lot less stressful for them.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really have an answer but I can relate. Rabies shots are required where I live so I have to take my cats to the vet periodically. It's really traumatic for them - more so for Navi who is already very anxious. The 5 yr old siblings were born feral and/or unsocialized until I took them in at 6 months old. Link is a little more laid back and although he's scared he gets over it quicker. Anyway, the only thing that helps some is I take them together and put them in the same carrier. Having each other seems to reassure them. This was especially helpful the last time since I had to wait inside due to covid protocols. So if you have reason to take in another cat I'd time it so they can go at the same time.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we went to the vet, carrier with towel sprayed with Feliway, and he cried all the way in the car. Vet couldn't to a normal mouth exam since he freaked :cringe:. His blood values look ok except for blood glucose, which is through the roof, and could also be because he freaked. Vet is taking urine sample when he is under anesthesia for his dental procedure.
:sniffle:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now that he's been seen, will they give you something to calm him down for future visits?

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope! They extracted a tooth. Not sure we will go for the follow-up visit... I have Clavamox and Prednisolone to give him orally. No real vet explanation for anything (could blame it on Covid)

slowboost99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cats look a lot like mine, who is a feral cat. If they allow you to go inside (where I am, this is not possible) ask if you can go in and try to calm him down.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they don't allow me to go inside. Quite furious about that - I can go to any hair or nail salon or to the physical therapist wearing a mask, but not in the vet's office where it counts...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frustrating, I know, but I'd rather have them being overly cautious than not. Although there is no scientific proof that pets can catch COVID-19 from humans (some empirical evidence exists...pets that showed symptoms after owners were infected), your vet has a hospital full of animals with compromised immune systems, so going the extra step protects all of the animals.