Nystagmus?w

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted a 4 yr old girl from the shelter. The people who left her there got her from a breeder. They said she is half Amerocan Curl, half Bengal...

We noticed that when she looks directly at us her eyes shake, or twitch back and forth, only slightly, but very rapidly.

I did some research and found out it could be called nystagmus. I also read that it can be caused from illness our injury, but also can be genetic to oriental cats. She has never shown any other signs of symptoms, no head tilt, no dizzoness. The occasional clumsyness, but I'm not sure it correlates.

does this sound like what she has? Is it truely genetic? And should I be concerned?

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy,

Well, I am not a veterinarian, so I can't comment to the health aspects.  But, any kitty, new or old should have a yearly veterinary examination to see how things are going.  Remember, cats hide their health concerns very well and they don't tell us often when something is wrong.

Nystagmus is usually associated with cats having the siamese coloration from the genetic point of view.  Otherwise, if it is genetic, we do not know what it is.  Put yourself at ease, get a health exam to be cautious.

meezertorbie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does this too, especially when he is trying to focus on something, but he is most likely part Siamese, according to the foster home where I got him. He has blue eyes and the seal point (I think it is called) markings, but really sloppy, like someone tossed the black over his face, lol.

Are you sure that your cat does not have any oriental genes in her? Are her eyes blue? My sister used to have a blue eyed cat that did the same thing.