NV Raw Signature frozen raw line discontinued

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking at the NV web site and saw that the Raw Signature frozen line is being discontinued :eek2:

NV recommends their new Raw Longevity frozen line as a replacement. That doesn't work for me because thew new line only has those little raw bites. With two cats, a 2.5 lb bag of frozen raw bites won't last long and it will be a pain to count enough raw bites for each cats' meal. :livid::livid::censored::censored:

Leroy fortunately will eat anything so I can easily switch him to Primal. Emma will not touch Primal or any other brand of raw :frustrated: I'm going to have to raid the pet store and buy every bag of NV raw medallions to keep Emma happy until I convince her to try another brand.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, that's really disappointing. Guess they didn't have enough sales in the signature line :dunno:. Good luck finding a replacement foor for Emma :crossfingers:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really disappointed with NV. They had the raw medallions in a bunch of different proteins when the cats were kittens. Then a couple years ago they discontinued most of the proteins and only kept chicken and rabbit. Chicken is a no-no with Leroy's IBD tummy. Now the raw is just raw bites in both frozen and freeze dried :livid: I wonder if I can feed the NV's Raw Signature patties for dogs to Emma if I can't get her to eat another brand?? The rabbit one has the exact same ingredients as the cat version minus the taurine. I know I can add a taurine supplement.

Primal might be a pain to get. The pet store I frequent only stocks two varieties that Leroy can eat, beef/salmon and turkey. I can ask if they can get some of the other proteins like venison and pork. There's another pet store that also sells Primal but they oddly only stock the brand every other month or something :dunno: I could try Tiki Cat but I'm not sure how to portion out a large frozen tub (the only size the pet store has) or how to figure out how much food equals X amount of calories?

Edit: The new Raw Longevity frozen raw bites come in a 2.5 lb bag. It still probably won't last a week between two cats. One cup is 219 calories. I'd need to measure out about 1/3 of a cup for each meal per cat to keep calorie intake about the same.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guess they didn't have enough sales in the signature line :dunno:.

You're right about that. Response from NV:

Thank you for writing us! Yes, Longevity is replacing our Raw Signature line. Science has evolved, and Instinct is evolving with it to bring new Raw recipes that supports each life stage for optimal health and longer life spans. With this change, we are also discontinuing our medallion form because they just weren’t as popular so, the cat Raw Longevity will only be available in Bites.

We do have more protein options now for cats, including beef! All of the new Raw Longevity recipes can be viewed on our website: Raw Longevity | Instinct Pet Food

Raw Longevity has begun shipping to distributors and should be available for retailers to order.

Why do companies mess with a good product?? :frustrated::gaah:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do companies mess with a good product?? :frustrated:
I know, this is such a frustration. I've had to make lots of changes to the cats' diet because of discontinued product lines and alleged improvements. I know your cats have some very specific dietary needs and know it's never easy to replace -- I'm so sorry this is happening!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be aware that NV's formula for cats contains 15-18% bone (per info I was sent from the company). I think it's the same for dogs. Kudos to them for sending me complete info on request, but his is very problematic for many cats. I got that info after one of my cats developed bladders struvite stones requiring surgery. I had a pile of NV medallions left, so I ended up feeding him a combination of boneless meat/liver (supplemented with Alnutrin) and the medallions in approximately equal amounts.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be aware that NV's formula for cats contains 15-18% bone (per info I was sent from the company). I think it's the same for dogs. Kudos to them for sending me complete info on request, but his is very problematic for many cats. I got that info after one of my cats developed bladders struvite stones requiring surgery. I had a pile of NV medallions left, so I ended up feeding him a combination of boneless meat/liver (supplemented with Alnutrin) and the medallions in approximately equal amounts.
That's really a lot of bone! On the positive side, your solution to the problem sounds good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have never had a problem with the bone content. I'm still looking for a replacement to NV that picky Emma will eat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never had a problem with the bone content. I'm still looking for a replacement to NV that picky Emma will eat.
You're very fortunate about not having to worry so much about bone, LTS3! Even small changes seem to bother Ireland. I hope you can find a new replacement soon for Emma.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at the NV web site and saw that the Raw Signature frozen line is being discontinued :eek2:

NV recommends their new Raw Longevity frozen line as a replacement. That doesn't work for me because thew new line only has those little raw bites. With two cats, a 2.5 lb bag of frozen raw bites won't last long and it will be a pain to count enough raw bites for each cats' meal. :livid::livid::censored::censored:

Leroy fortunately will eat anything so I can easily switch him to Primal. Emma will not touch Primal or any other brand of raw :frustrated: I'm going to have to raid the pet store and buy every bag of NV raw medallions to keep Emma happy until I convince her to try another brand.
Have you ever tried Darwin's? My incredibly picky cat Thirteen went on a hunger strike several years ago where Hare Today ran out of ground rabbit. She wouldn't even eat ground rabbit from other suppliers . . . BUT when I gave her Darwin's she gobbled it up like nobody's business. I swear, she the pickiest cat on the planet.