Nutro Perfect Portions

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey cat friends...Im wanting to know if anyone has given their cat this food..n if there is any recommendations...on another chicken..or turkey..flavor..with SMALL cuts of meat like these in gravy similar to Nutro Perfect Portions...Chicken..Turkey..flavors Cuts in Gravy???My cat is eating these ok..n I think these are more healthy ingredients than the fancy feast etc...But they are very small..So really im havn to give my cat 2 at time..instead of breaking them apart..cause its too small of a portion..Thanks for any tips...Hes gotten pickier in his older age..but I found something he likes but...I have to give both portions..instead of breaking apart...which is the general idea..But I may have to just feed him the 2 at a time..Especially since its healthy n he likes it..which is a PLUS...ANY IDEAS ABOUT SIMILAR WET FOOD???

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also feed these, and I am spitting mad that Nutro went to what they call "Perfect Portions" because they most definitely are NOT. And I let them know it too :p. They never responded to me when I contacted them and mentioned that perhaps whoever thought these were the correct portion sizes must have a teeny tiny cat and that many people actually have more than one cat and that if they really thought it out instead of making the portions smaller they would put their food in a 5 oz can or larger! Oh well, you can't please everyone.

But to answer your question, I have been looking for a substitute ever since they quit making my guy's favorite food, the Chunky Chicken, and am still looking. Right now I am buying the Chicken Pate in those ridiculously small sizes, and hating every time I give Nutro any money, but what are you gonna do when you have picky eaters :dunno:. I tell you what I did do though...I saved some old cans and when I do open two, if he doesn't quite finish, I put the leftovers in an clean can and pop one of the old plastic lids on it and put in in the fridge, like I used to do when they came in cans. Then at the next meal I just make sure I take the can out about an hour before meal time so it gets to room temp and give that to him along with another of the "perfect portions".

BTW, Sheba also makes them, and my other cat likes them better than Nutro. The ingredients aren't too bad. Still better than Fancy Feast, and much less expensive.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Nutro Perfect Portions because for Ailish they are a perfect portion and they work great when I'm having someone else feed her. Most of the portion foods are too many calories for one of her meals, so these are the only ones I can use. She likes them well enough to eat the various flavors for two weeks while I am traveling. I don't feed them to her myself, because she is not generally a picky cat, but she does get tired of foods if she gets them too often and I like to save these for when I'm not able to feed her myself. To me they seem like good food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Nutro Perfect Portions because for Ailish they are a perfect portion and they work great when I'm having someone else feed her.
I also feed these, and I am spitting mad that Nutro went to what they call "Perfect Portions" because they most definitely are NOT. And I let them know it too :p.
It's so funny how this goes: either they're perfect or they're not! I buy Sheba Perfect Portions and each portion is just right for one cat's bedtime snack. The thing that's most imperfect is the packaging itself, though I've finally figured out a way to open it so I don't get the food all over myself. Oh, happy day!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's so funny how this goes: either they're perfect or they're not! I buy Sheba Perfect Portions and each portion is just right for one cat's bedtime snack. The thing that's most imperfect is the packaging itself, though I've finally figured out a way to open it so I don't get the food all over myself. Oh, happy day!
Yes, you definitely cannot please EVERYONE! So...please share how you open those packets without getting the food all over yourself. I can do it with the Nutro, but haven't mastered the Sheba packets yet. I use needle nose plyers to grab hold of the little tab to start pulling pack the aluminum top, but on the Sheba, it usually tears right away, plus the gravy usually spits out and gets me. What's the secret? I'm thinking also someone needs to invent a tool to scrape out all the juices from those weird shaped packets. I use an ice tea spoon, but it's still slightly too large to get in the corners. Any suggestions? :hijack:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats (Freya, certainly) won't eat a whole can at a time and the smaller "perfect portion" is a good option, since it has less waste.

i feed them to my cat at times, and it is generally a good size for her. of course now I just give half the can to the other cat, but if you have a single cat who is a light eater, they are a good size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats (Freya, certainly) won't eat a whole can at a time and the smaller "perfect portion" is a good option, since it has less waste.

i feed them to my cat at times, and it is generally a good size for her. of course now I just give half the can to the other cat, but if you have a single cat who is a light eater, they are a good size.
Yea they are great for a light eater..My cat usually HAD been eating 1 in morning around 5am...Then he would be hungry again at 6am...He would get another..Then Around 2pm he was ready for another..then again around 5pm...Thats 4 aday...which is fine considering...good ingredients n calories aint bad..But NOW hes NOT wanting the Nutro hes wants his FF ....Hes 11 yrs...And picky...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you definitely cannot please EVERYONE! So...please share how you open those packets without getting the food all over yourself. I can do it with the Nutro, but haven't mastered the Sheba packets yet. I use needle nose plyers to grab hold of the little tab to start pulling pack the aluminum top, but on the Sheba, it usually tears right away, plus the gravy usually spits out and gets me. What's the secret? I'm thinking also someone needs to invent a tool to scrape out all the juices from those weird shaped packets. I use an ice tea spoon, but it's still slightly too large to get in the corners. Any suggestions? :hijack:
I think this is still on topic, mrsgreenjeens!

I agree about a tool to scrape those containers! That's the worst part. This is very dorky but I took three photos to show various, er, angles on how I grip the package. I grip them -- very hard -- in my left hand and then peel the foil back with my right. It may be that my hand is just the right size to do it this way, I don't know!

(Not sure why these came out different sizes but oh well!)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the demo! I do this too, but whenever I first pull back on the tab, it "spits" at me :eek2:. Guess they know how I feel about them and are just letting me know they feel the same way about me :tongue: (actually, only the Sheba spit at me, the Nutro have more respect (but I still don't like them))

Hey, I just noticed you have a beef eating cat too!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the demo! I do this too, but whenever I first pull back on the tab, it "spits" at me :eek2:. Guess they know how I feel about them and are just letting me know they feel the same way about me :tongue: (actually, only the Sheba spit at me, the Nutro have more respect (but I still don't like them))

Hey, I just noticed you have a beef eating cat too!
I pull the tab very, very slowly!

And it's funny: I very, very rarely feed them beef! The only reason I used that particular tray is that it was already separated from its mirror twin. Now that I've figured out the death grip, I think separating the two sides is the hardest part of the process. :lol:

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if one of those capsule filling spoons would work to get the juices and bits out.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd try to use one on a 5.5 Oz can and it worked great.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonder if you could roll the tab on the spoon/spatula and then pull off the top.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Damn, now I have to go buy one to try to figure this out.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder if you could roll the tab on the spoon/spatula and then pull off the top.
I think the foil is stuck too hard. But I bet the old-fashioned "key" for opening a sardine can would work since the tab could easily go into the opening. They're now sold as "vintage" items, as here on Etsy. (!!! I hadn't thought about these in years!)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B bitkit , wow, that really did work well! I guess I was underestimating the, er, foldability of the foil on the tray. Was that a file that you used for the first operation?

Most important: did your cat like the food? (And now I'm curious about your cat, who might look to be a Siamese? No matter what, your at was clearly part of this process!)

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you meant by first operation. I did try to place the foil between two micro spoon/spatulas and roll which worked but it wasn't as quick and easy.

Yes they're siamese and loved it:)