Nutritionally complete premix?

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very important criteria: Animal product-free, e.g., no liver powder, with the exception of eggshell powder. I'm looking for a pre-mix that basically functions as a complete multi-vitamin and mineral supplement I can add to ground raw food for cats that are allergic to just about everything. Which is why it's important that the premix not have any organ meat in it. If this product doesn't exist, I'm game for suggestions for a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement I can add to raw ground that would make it a balanced meal. A million thanks in advance for any suggestions!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin with eggshell calcium will be closest to what you require. It still contains egg yolk powder. This is likely the best you can do. I don't know that there is a supplement premix that doesn't have egg yolk powder. Your next best bet would be to buy the supplements and mix it yourself. You will need to consult with a nutritionist to figure out how to replace the egg yolk (e.g. what vitamins and minerals does it provide and how to supplement those another way.) Do not simply omit it. Nutrient deficiencies can take awhile to show up and be very tricky to diagnose and challenging/expensive to treat depending on what nutrient(s) and how long they have been missing from the diet.

Alnutrin has a samples program. For the cost of a self-addressed stamped envelope, they'll send you back samples to try before buying a whole bag to find out it won't agree with your cats.

Alnutrin with eggshell calcium
A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

Samples program:
Know What You Feed Your Cat - Alnutrin Supplements - Free Samples

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin with eggshell calcium will be closest to what you require. It still contains egg yolk powder. This is likely the best you can do. I don't know that there is a supplement premix that doesn't have egg yolk powder. Your next best bet would be to buy the supplements and mix it yourself. You will need to consult with a nutritionist to figure out how to replace the egg yolk (e.g. what vitamins and minerals does it provide and how to supplement those another way.) Do not simply omit it. Nutrient deficiencies can take awhile to show up and be very tricky to diagnose and challenging/expensive to treat depending on what nutrient(s) and how long they have been missing from the diet.

Alnutrin has a samples program. For the cost of a self-addressed stamped envelope, they'll send you back samples to try before buying a whole bag to find out it won't agree with your cats.

Alnutrin with eggshell calcium
A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

Samples program:
Know What You Feed Your Cat - Alnutrin Supplements - Free Samples
Thanks for the links! I think you have to add organ meat to that if I recall correctly. I wanted something I didn't have to add anything to because I can't source liver, etc., from an animal they aren't allergic to. Maybe I should be looking at multivitamin supplements instead? I'd be grateful for any suggestions for a good multi to add to raw. Sorry for any confusion.

ETA: Do you know if I could add beef liver powder to the Alnutrin? I think beef might be ok.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use Alnutrin with any liver source. However if you use powder instead of fresh, you need to use less. There’s a formula for it:

(% fresh solid weight)/(% freeze dried solid weight) * (desired fresh weight)

% fresh solid = 100 - % moisture fresh liver. This is looked up from USDA database.
FoodData Central
70% moisture. So % fresh solid weight is 100-70=30

For % solid freeze dried, that’s 100 minus the moisture value on the label of your freeze dried liver. If that’s 6% moisture (using a value from another freeze dried liver powder I have used eg freeze dried turkey liver powder), then the % solid weight is 100-6=94

If Alnutrin asks for 45 grams of fresh liver, then using our calculations,

30% fresh solid wt / 94% freeze dried solid weight * 45 grams desired fresh weight = 14 grams of freeze dried powder needed.

Cat nutrition is a balance, not a finish line. You can’t just throw multivitamins into the mix and think you’ll have your bases covered. Some nutrients can be topped up like B vitamins. But others need to used in the correct balance (eg calcium is a balance against meat/bone ratio.) You’re much safer trying to source liver even with freeze dried liver powder than you would be trying to replace its nutrition with extra supplements.