Nutritional Values Of Chicken Whole Legs Vs Thighs

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked USDA Food Composition Database for nutritional values of chicken whole legs and thighs and discovered that the thigh meat alone contains more protein and less fat compared to the whole leg consisting of the thigh and drumstick. Granted I don't really know how to use these databases, figures presented here seem strange to me. I recently had to buy whole legs (butcher couldn't source 6lbs of organic thighs) and was curious to compare nutritional values. Based on these figures alone, it appears that thigh meat is a better choice for our kitties but wanted to see if anyone on here has a more accurate picture of nutritional values. Up until now I've been using thighs because that's what many 'online experts' recommend to use but I may mix or even switch to other cuts of the chicken (e.g., breast) if they prove to be more nutritious.

Raw whole legs (skin on): Food Composition Databases Show Foods -- Chicken, skin (drumsticks and thighs), raw

Raw thighs (skin on): Food Composition Databases Show Foods -- Chicken, broilers or fryers, thigh, meat and skin, raw

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I've read that dark meat has more protein, --what if you rotate depending on what's on sale, what's available, that sort of approach?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I've read that dark meat has more protein, --what if you rotate depending on what's on sale, what's available, that sort of approach?
I didn’t know that dark meat had more protein! Yes, I should start rotating at some point, though our kitties seem to be content with only thigh meat for now. I’ll try rabbit and quail as well.