Nutritional Supplements.

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if other people are nutritionally supplementing their fur babies diets? I give my cats (adults and kitten) Viralys (l-lysince hcl) every other day and Ascenta Feline Omega 3 (epa and dha fatty acids) everyday. Just curious. Thank you for reading.

jlc20m

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I provide an Omega 3 supplement to my cats. I can't afford krill oil for all 8 of them. But for the four that need the benefit of the krill vs. just EPA/DHA, I use NOW Neptune Krill oil (500mg).

For the others, I use Pure Alaska Omega Salmon Oil. I like the EPA/DHA ratio, as all the work I've done on omegas indicates that DHA is more important than EPA. This is the information on Pure Alaska Omega: http://www.alaskaproteinrecovery.com/salmonoil

I also prefer to use omega 3s that are in capsules. "Fish oil" is sensitive to oxidation, and I prefer they not need Vit E or Rosemary extract to preserve them. But that's just me. :)

I give a human acidophilus supplement every day. I use Natural Factors double-strength acidophilus+bifidus, because my vet recommended I find a human acidophilus supplement that has 10 billion CFU (active colony forming units). Sadly, most of the pet probiotics use fermentation products, which means the cultures are not live. :dk:

Billy gets L-Lysine. I just use the NOW powder, and I give him 1/8 teaspoon sprinkled on his food 2x a day.

I make homemade raw food, so the rest of the supplements are related to that, not something I'd give them if they were still eating canned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. Speaking for myself only, I don't believe in raw foods for pets. I will look into an omega 3 supplement without rosemary extract as a preservative. Thank you, again...

jlc20m

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, perhaps I should have just said I make homemade food, so any other supplements are related to that. ;) There are plenty of recipes out there for cooked homemade. :)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just scratching my head over supplements today so this thread is timely.  From what I've read, omega 3's could be really important in fighting inflammation (we have a stomatitis kitty and two others with bad gums), but good ones can be so expensive.  I'm going to look into the ones you mentioned, LDG.  After reading a book about human nutrition we just added omega 3 supplements.  I was put off by the price (and I worry cheaper ones could have toxins from the fish)...then a few days later read my cats really need them too!

We also use lysine (2 kitties I suspect have herpes and one who just got over a nasty URI.)  We have probiotics in the house for the humans, so if I suspect they need them I could use them for the cats too (just noticed we use the exact same probiotic, LDG.)

ETA: 
But for the four that need the benefit of the krill vs. just EPA/DHA,
Could you elaborate a little on that?  What is the benefit of the krill over the salmon omega 3 supplement?

Last edited:

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have Cookie and Cuddles on the same Omega 3 supplement that LDG is using, I am thinking of switching them over to krill oil though. I also have them on a probiotic (can't remember the name of it for the life of me though) and I have Lucky on 500mg L-Lysine twice daily. :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jen, I'm using the NOW Neptune Krill Oil for Flowerbelle, Lazlo, Chumley and Billy. The ball joints of Flowerbelle's hips have significant deterioration - and I saw no change in her behavior on the salmon oil, but there IS a difference in her jumping/activity on the krill! So it's a lot more expensive to use, but it seems to really makes a difference for the kitties that need joint health support. :nod:

As to its role in weight loss.... we'll find probably early next week. We'll be taking Billy in for a weigh-in, and the only thing we changed up this month was the addition of the krill oil instead of the salmon oil.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the others, I use Pure Alaska Omega Salmon Oil.
I found this in capsule form and have been using it for Lucy, but I wanted to make sure I'm not overdosing her.

LDG, do you squirt a whole capsule over a meal?  That's what I'm doing for Lucy once a day, which means she is getting 1000 mg.  I'm splitting a capsule for the other 3 kitties since it is so expensive.  I'm also splitting one of the Natural Factors probiotics (the 10 billion one) between 3 of them, mostly Lucy and split between the other two who have had anitbiotics lately.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I switched to a raw diet, I was giving my three older kitties the NOW L-lysine powder supplement to manage their herpes virus weepy eyes. Once on raw, they all cleared up, so I stopped. While I was fostering, Allen's eyes flared up again something terrible, so I put him back on it. Took over a year for his eyes to clear after the last fosters left, but he's finally off the lysine again. *whew*

I also offer my kitties one fresh, canned (no salt added) sardine a week for extra Omega 3's; if they didn't eat the sardines, I'd probably go the krill oil route.

That's it for me.

AC

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I provide an Omega 3 supplement to my cats. I can't afford krill oil for all 8 of them. But for the four that need the benefit of the krill vs. just EPA/DHA, I use NOW Neptune Krill oil (500mg).
For the others, I use Pure Alaska Omega Salmon Oil. I like the EPA/DHA ratio, as all the work I've done on omegas indicates that DHA is more important than EPA. This is the information on Pure Alaska Omega: http://www.alaskaproteinrecovery.com/salmonoil
I also prefer to use omega 3s that are in capsules. "Fish oil" is sensitive to oxidation, and I prefer they not need Vit E or Rosemary extract to preserve them. But that's just me.

I give a human acidophilus supplement every day. I use Natural Factors double-strength acidophilus+bifidus, because my vet recommended I find a human acidophilus supplement that has 10 billion CFU (active colony forming units). Sadly, most of the pet probiotics use fermentation products, which means the cultures are not live.

Billy gets L-Lysine. I just use the NOW powder, and I give him 1/8 teaspoon sprinkled on his food 2x a day.
I make homemade raw food, so the rest of the supplements are related to that, not something I'd give them if they were still eating canned.
Hi LDG,

May I ask you a question? How much of Pure Alaska Omega Salmon Oil can I safely give to a 12-week old kitten??? Thank you in advance for your  help.

jlc20m

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked, and haven't found any recommended dosage for a kitten! So if it were my kitty, I would use half an adult dose. I've seen adult dose recommendations range from 500mg to 1,000mg, but most are clustered at 500mg, and that's what I use. So for a kitten, I'd use 250mg, until they hit 7 or 8 pounds. My Flowerbelle is 7 pounds fully grown, and she gets 500mg. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also prefer to use omega 3s that are in capsules. "Fish oil" is sensitive to oxidation, and I prefer they not need Vit E or Rosemary extract to preserve them. But that's just me. :)
I give a human acidophilus supplement every day. I use Natural Factors double-strength acidophilus+bifidus, because my vet recommended I find a human acidophilus supplement that has 10 billion CFU (active colony forming units). Sadly, most of the pet probiotics use fermentation products, which means the cultures are not live. :dk:
Pretty much what she does here...... but all Krill for my crew.
Trying to get them on Egg Lecithin for hairballs, 2x a week, but it gives Bugsy soft stools :(
Works amazingly well though - one dose and the hacking is gone :bigthumb:.... So I will see if with time his system gets used to it - it happens quite a bit with him. Currently him and Lucky as Hope has been shaved.
No Lysine - haven't needed it here for a while now - kids have been purry healthy :clap::clap::clap:

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked, and haven't found any recommended dosage for a kitten! So if it were my kitty, I would use half an adult dose. I've seen adult dose recommendations range from 500mg to 1,000mg, but most are clustered at 500mg, and that's what I use. So for a kitten, I'd use 250mg, until they hit 7 or 8 pounds. My Flowerbelle is 7 pounds fully grown, and she gets 500mg.
Hi LDG:

Thank you so much for your help! Bella's a little over three pounds now. So I'll take your recommendation and give her 250mg until she's grown. I'm just finishing off Ascenta's Feline Omega-3 and switching to Pure Alaska Omega Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. Thank you for introducing me to this product. I'm planning to take it myself for the health effects.

jlc20m

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:D Yep, hubby and I were taking it - until we saw the dramatic difference in Flowerbelle (hip arthritis) on the krill oil vs. the salmon oil. :nod: So now we're taking the krill oil (our old creaky joints need it LOL). But the Pure Alaska Omega is an excellent product. Very much worth the expense, IMO. :)

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give a human acidophilus supplement every day. I use Natural Factors double-strength acidophilus+bifidus, because my vet recommended I find a human acidophilus supplement that has 10 billion CFU (active colony forming units). Sadly, most of the pet probiotics use fermentation products, which means the cultures are not live.

Hi LDG,

May I ask how much of this product to safely use in a six-month-old kitten? Also, I understand that this product () contains goat milk. Will this not be a problem for my Bella??? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

jlc20m

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, the one with goat milk is better than most supplements, which usually use cow milk as the growth base. :nod: It's tolerated really well by most cats, including IBD kitties. In fact, I'm not aware of a cat yet that's had an issue with it, and a lot of cats are using it now. :nod:

If you order the double-strength (10 billion CFU), I'd give 1/2 a capsule to a 6-month old kitty. An adult cat should have 10 billion CFU. You can just order the version that isn't double-strength - it has 5 billion CFU. When your kitty is a year or so old, you can bump up to the 10 billion (the double-strength). :)

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, the one with goat milk is better than most supplements, which usually use cow milk as the growth base.
It's tolerated really well by most cats, including IBD kitties. In fact, I'm not aware of a cat yet that's had an issue with it, and a lot of cats are using it now.

If you order the double-strength (10 billion CFU), I'd give 1/2 a capsule to a 6-month old kitty. An adult cat should have 10 billion CFU. You can just order the version that isn't double-strength - it has 5 billion CFU. When your kitty is a year or so old, you can bump up to the 10 billion (the double-strength).
Thank you, LDG! This information is much appreciated! (I will give Bella 1/2 a capsule of the double-strength daily until her first birthday.) I hold dear your experience with kitties of all ages...

jlc20m

Last edited:

erika bakonyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why don't you believe in raw feeding? Cats are carnivorous, if you wants to treat with a specific animal the BEST if you copy their natural environment! I have Savannah cats they have very sensitive digestion system when I got him I started to feed him with can food, but even the high quality products like blue buffalo, weruva, nature instinct, wellnes, royal canine etc made him vomiting and diarrhea continuously finally I decide take a try and go back to the nature and feed him what a cat should always fed: RAW MEAT. Voila, no more vomit, diarrhea, bad smell breath, and no bad smell litter! He become extremely playful, and happy. If someone try to tell me oh I don't support raw feeding my cat I always wondering why these type of people have then a carnivorous animal?? I understand that some people extreme busy and don't have time chopping cutting packing raw meat (I feed my Savannah chicken breast, wings, thigh, heart, ground venison, ostrich, beef) but there is rad cat raw meat product it's done. But me personally LOVE preparing food to my cats. Also I give my cats the wildtrax, and probiotic, plus krill oil. Good luck