nutrition for old cats

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originganlly from Massachussetts now living in Nor
I have a cat who is 16 years old. I brought her to the vet because I noticed she was having a hard time chewing.  The vet ran a kidney and adrenal test and they were fine.  He suggested I switch her over to wet food so I did but it's still difficult for her to chew. I give her whiska's milk as a supplement which she likes. Does anyone else share the same problem with their senior cat? BTW the vet's diagnoses was arthritis in her jaw.  Thank you.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I imagine that the arthritis is quite painful. Did the vet prescribe pain meds? That could help if she's not eating because it hurts.
Does she want to eat the wet food or is she turning up her nose because she's used to dry? Some cats are very fussy about switching to wet food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old eats fine so far, but I wanted to suggest for you to maybe thin the wet food down with water or the milk and see if that makes it easier for your gal to eat. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't prescribe pain medication. I have limited funds unfortunately. She will eat wet food but it's still difficult for her to chew and it takes about 15 minutes for her to get 1\2 can of the wet food down.  I know she is still hungry and I feel badly.  I will have more money the end of the month and ask the vet about pain medication.  Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add water to the canned food to make it soupy and easier to eat (well, lap up without any chewing). Puree the mixture in a blender or really mash it up with a spoon if needed to make it a smooth consistency.

Ask the vet about a high calorie canned food or supplement. It's important that your cat gets enough calories per day to avoid fatty liver disease. There are some high calorie pastes you can buy at the pet store. A prescription food like MaxCal or Hills A/D (I think) may also help.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I mush it up as well as I can and when it's been in the fridge a day I always warm it up for her.  My family is making a trip to the vet today and they are going to pick up some of prescription science diet which has no chunks.  I do know about fatty liver disease (I've owned cats since I was 6 years old) and as an adult I had one cat with a heart murmur and kidney disease.  I had to give him Lasix AND do at home dialysis to him at home.  He only made It  to 9 years old and died of congestive heart failure...can't talk about it, still painful after 15 years gone.  I have taken care and nursed my cats though colds, gastroenteritis, etc. 

I called the vet but he won't be in until Monday and left a message about pain meds.  This forum is great, lots of helpful information.  I'm sorry I'm not familiar with all your names yet, but Peaches and I thank you.