nursing question: do kittens typically nurse off only one nipple?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
My situation is unusual, but probably just La Leche League 101. I wanted to ask if kittens typically will nurse off of the same nipple, even if they do not have siblings to compete with.

I'm pretty sure everything is okay. Willow is now five months old. She was taken away from her mother at less than eight weeks and my 7 lb dog, who has never had puppies, has allowed or encouraged her to dry nurse. I don't think it's "dry" any more and I think my dog is fine if she is only lactating from one nipple.

I'm not in any huge hurry for this to end and just want some reassurance. I've never seen Willow switch nipples. Laurel, the dog, has appropriate boundaries and knows how to tell her foster child when it isn't a good time or when she's had enough and needs her personal space.

tia

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How very sweet. Some nipples on a cat may not produce milk and some kittens have a preference for a certain nipple so in your case she is sticking with a producer. Definitely she doesn’t need it but if the dog doesn’t mind, why not.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's been threads about that happening before. So cute though. About the specific nipple, I have read that once a kitten chooses the nipple on their mom, they will fight for it every time. So it does make sense that your kitten chose only one nipple on your dog. Good that she pushes her "foster child" away when she's had enough, as you don't want her to get mastitis in that nipple.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. Laurel looks a little funny right now, but I don't think there is a problem. I can't express any milk from the nipple, but this just looks like normal breast tissue to me. Willow is too big to be negatively affected by the amount of milk such a small dog could possibly produce without domperidone or any sort of chemical assistance, especially since Laurel has never had puppies.

And, sadly, she never will. As amazing a mother as she would be, the shelters are full of little dogs like this. DSCF2561.JPG DSCF2560.JPG DSCF2543.JPG

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurel had to go to the vet yesterday. She has severe atopic dermatitis and it was an emergency. The vet was concerned about the potential for mastitis, but did not feel any inflammation or prescribe antibiotics.

Having breastfed my own children, I know just how quickly the medical profession is to dismiss the nursing relationship as "unnecessary" and that the best thing to do for mastitis in myself was to go to bed with the baby, rest, and drink lots of water.

I still don't think there is a problem but I'm not a dog breeder so I'll keep an eye on the nipple and educate myself. Thank you so much for the link, rubysmama. Willow would not take a bottle, does not nurse on sweaters or other inanimate objects, and only nursed off of me (finger) once when Laurel was unavailable for a very short time.

I have experience with prematurely weaned kittens and took her on willingly knowing that this can be a lifelong issue. I hope my pets can work this out between themselves and will not ever need to have weaning forced on them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, no. Poor Laurel. Glad I included the link, so you'd know to watch for trouble.
Sending vibes that Laurel heals quickly. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, rubysmama. Laurel is being tested for food allergies and still nursing Willow on the one nipple. I'm seeing no symptoms of potential mastitis other than the enlarged tissue, which is neither hot nor lumpy, so I am not interfering.

Willow had a rough start in life, but she has been lucky.