Nursing Mom Seems Skinny

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning. Gracie is around 62 days pregnant and hasn't been able to clean her butt in a few days because of her belly. I started cleaning it for her and even though she meows loudly when I do it, she comes right back over to me when I'm done. I'm concerned when she goes into labor she won't be able to clean her butt as the first few babies come out. She had an ultrasound twelve days ago and we counted at least five, but I think there is more than that.
Gracie 1.jpg
gracie 2.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be able to clean the newborns and chew the cord. By the time she is finished delivering, she will be able to lick her private parts again. If not, you can continue to help her out for a bit. Most cats do just fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thank you very much. Now we just wait. :):hyper::blush:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, they are darling, keep us updated on how they are doing.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will. Mama is doing an amazing job of keeping them fed and warm. My heart is full.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How wonderful!

Watch for a runt with 7.

Pick up a can of PetAg powdered kitten formula and a 1 or 2mL syringe in case you need to supplement.

Give mom a dish of formula a day to drink as she needs the extra calcium.

Keep us posted!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep mom inside and away from intact males 100% of the time now? Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once she weans the babies, we are going to have her neutered. She was in heat in the house, and bolted one day when we were bringing in groceries and never looked back. We do have good homes for all the kittens and a waiting list.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How wonderful!

Watch for a runt with 7.

Pick up a can of PetAg powdered kitten formula and a 1 or 2mL syringe in case you need to supplement.

Give mom a dish of formula a day to drink as she needs the extra calcium.

Keep us posted!
The last one, the grey one was smaller than the rest and had trouble finding her teet, but on day three she has a full belly and is standing up to her siblings. I have a bottle and formula on hand because these are alot of mouths to feed for Gracie.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please weigh the kittens daily so you can make sure they’re all gaining.

You can go ahead and make the spay appointment for when the babies are 8-weeks-old. Babies need to stay with mom until they are at least 10-12 weeks, and it’s best if you can have them fixed before they go to their new homes. It’s just so easy for accidents to happen.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will check with our local vet and get pricing.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our humane society will neuter boys for $30 and girls for $50. This seems really reasonable to me. Does it seem reasonable to you?

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I weighed them last night at 3 days old. One was 132 grams, one was 142 grams and the rest were 165-167 grams. There are two that feed after the stronger five feed. Mom is currently eating about 5-6 cans of kitten food a day (the smaller cans) but she isn't drinking alot of water or the pedialyte I have out for her so I mixed a little water in her lunch time food for more moisture. Should I start supplementing the two smaller ones to help mama out? I don't want her to get worn out from the every half hour to hour feedings.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I probably should have waited until I weighted them tonight to see if they gained any weight from last night before asking this question. Last night was the first night I weighed them. Sorry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will only help if you top them off with formula 2-3 times per day. But if they are gaining well no need. Let us know their gains this evening!

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will only help if you top them off with formula 2-3 times per day. But if they are gaining well no need. Let us know their gains this evening!
They were weighed last night and they all gained 10-13 grams each in one day. I couldn't believe it. The biggest one weighing in at 180 gm and the smallest at 147, and one of the kitten's eyes opened last night at 4 days and the rest were opened this morning. I couldn't believe it.