Nursing Mom Has Fever No Milk!?!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Googled it's early morn... Something about not having enough calcium? She has not left her babies for more them 5 mins to go to washroom in 4 days no long breaks she acts crazy without them. She was panting heavy after 3 hours only a little but kinda panics separated her from kittens other female told her to chill out.
I only have a quarter of a screen to type this on phone.. I gave mom cat 2 bowls of moist food with water it's called milk fever online I can get KMR what can I do for the Cat? Doesn't want to settle...? Anyone experienced pleasewith this,,?
respond kittens are fine just unsure about mom cat. Rubbed some syrup on gums she ate some organic pure pumpkin read it's combined with hypoglycemia.. Her weight is awesome she's big healthy

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to this article: Post-birth Complications In Cats, two post birth complications that can result in fever are eclampsia and metritis. Either of those conditions are emergencies, and you should bring mom to the vet ASAP.
Called emergency vets, she's not lethargic at all, she does have milk in some breasts had kibbles mostly today didn't drink hervgallons of liquids, kittens are huge double since yesterday she needs a break. She eats and drinks fine, her nipples etc are fine BUT I was giving her regular moist not not the kitten moist food had yet to pick up. Her head was warm but after drinking eating now she's relaxed. Watching her closely TY for reply it scared me, but OK

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have goats milk its excellent, othrwise kmr or plain yoghurt are good. A little cheese if she eats. All are good supplements, calcium insifficience or not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get some KMR (powdered) and give mom a dish or two a day. That will take care of her calcium needs. Goat milk will do also, as Stefan mentioned.

It’s not unusual for new mothers to stay almost exclusively with their kittens in the first 3 weeks. Some panting is also normal as she experiences after pains and her uterus shrinks.

Do give mom 2-3 cans of wet food daily along with her dry food, water, and milk.

If the kittens are growing then mom has plenty of milk. Hang in there! :)

SeventhHeaven SeventhHeaven

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update, was so looking forward to kissing whatever she has good bye yrsterday... Instead came home to 5 kittens and mom cat covered in poop,!! her nose was runny now Possible upper respiratory problems she's breathing through mouth while sleeping everyone had baths, exhausted.kittens are fine Starting KMR. Cannot use steam to clear cats nose as I have heard,? .... Any tips on how to deal with kitties nose? It was pea green soup color plus orange last night this morning a little lighter NEVER dealt with this she's not drinking eating yet was very with drawn since soiled scene but is coming around she caught up on sleep and rest I'm constantly wiping her nose removed her from kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, I’m sorry mom is sick. Poor mama and kittens. It sounds like mom needs clavamox to clear up her respiratory infection. Can you get her to the vet, or will the vet let you pick up a prescription for her?

She is still nursing the kittens, right? And the kittens are staying warm?

SeventhHeaven SeventhHeaven

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked on her kettle/steam/crate, once she could breathe, ate, she's less stressed knowing she can recover watching her closely. Removed kittens as mentioned. Is there anything else that can hit me,?? thank you for links and replies the best place to contact when it's urgent especially early morn this site is great,!posted This a day or so ago but it didn't post after all sorry for delay. She's improving slowly not getting worse. Contacted vets and yes appointment in order to buy meds
But thanks for suggestion 5arthur2 she can breath normal but still has buildup in nose then problems will take time.
If no improvement gets worse running h
er in. Kits are amazing huge.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mom cat'
S purring Loud today she's doing Fab,,!. Me walking Zombie no sleep... mom cats going to be on vacation for awhile.
Experienced with. Hand raising, Need bottle instead of syringes life will be So Much Better using water bottles while searching for heating
Pad. It can get overwhelming they Scream at the same time,!!!!! Not Yet into routine...