nursing mom cat - blood in stool

halosix90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello y'all....

Question for those of you more experienced with nursing mother cats:

Mom cat gave birth to 4 kittens almost 2 weeks ago. All 4 kittens appear healthy and have been gaining weight rapidly (biggest one is already almost 12 ounces!). They now have their eyes open a little bit. Mom seems to be doing fine - appetite is good, she purrs and cuddles and nurses her babies with no trouble. However, the past few days she has been having diarrhea on & off with a very small amount of blood in it. Is this normal? Should I be worried? She was seen by the vet a few weeks before delivery and tested negative for FIV and feline leukemia, but she wasn't able to get her vaccinations yet due to the pregnancy. I'm hoping I won't need to uproot mom and babies for another trip to the vet till they are a little bit bigger/older...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! I guess she is a rescued stray of some sort?

Has she been dewormed properly? Many deworming needs to be done twice.
These symptoms may surely come from some different reasons, but one of them may be worms. Other parasites are probably also possible.

As she is already a patient with this vet, you can always phone and ask. If you really drive in with her you can decide later.
So unless somebody comes with a really good answer, my advice for now is to phone this vet. (or some another friendly vet you think will give of hers time per telephone).

Welcome to the Forums!
Tx for caring -

good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halosix90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she was abandoned by my neighbors
They have a habit of just abandoning cats...and then the cats show up at our door crying for food, and end up part of our family.

Not sure if the neighbors knew she was pregnant or not, but I do know that they had never taken her to a vet at all and she has never had shots. I started to suspect that she was pregnant shortly after we adopted her, and the vet confirmed it when we took her in for shots....which we obviously ended up having to wait on since she was pregnant. I'm guessing she has never been dewormed either.

Is it safe to use a dewormer while she is still nursing? If so, is there a particular type or brand I should be looking for?

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by halosix90

I'm guessing she has never been dewormed either.

Is it safe to use a dewormer while she is still nursing? If so, is there a particular type or brand I should be looking for?

Thanks!
If she was out more than very occasionally we can take for granted she does have worms. Im a little suprised the vet didnt sayed anything. He perhaps did gave her something without telling you properly?

For example. I read the other day someone tell, the vet gave an injection for earmites. Im almost sure this injection helped also against worms. At least some of the most common worms.

As you say, most preparates are not so good for pregnant. And there is of course a big red warning for over the count preparates. Some may be OK, but there are also a lot of dangerous ones.
The standard answer is phone your vet and ask. Or visit the vet.
Most dewormers dont need a actual visit, the presription or recommendation may be made by phone. Unless it is a shot. Vets do have such in their sleeve.

As a rule of thumb, preparates for cats made by the established medicine companies making also human medicines (for example Bayer), are the safest. They dont afford to get a bad publicity. And they have excellent product desriptions, including big clinical testing. So a way is to google around.

But once again. She was by this vet. Thus she IS his patient. And thus you are having the moral right to phone and ask.

So phone and ask IF he did something with deworming. If not - what she/he does recommend.
And of course, mention this bloody diarrhea. Not much but occuring.
She does has worms if not dewormed, but this may be something else too...
So contacting your vet IS the best and recommended.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halosix90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

She hasn't had any more diarrhea as of this morning, and no more blood either fortunately....but I think I'll still give the vet a call and check on the dewormer. Maybe they will have me bring in a stool sample for testing.

Appreciate the advice - this is my first time caring for a nursing mom and such tiny babies!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by halosix90

T Maybe they will have me bring in a stool sample for testing.

!
Yes, this is possible they do so. Is probably best, no need to guess then.

There is a postal service for such. Quite common here in Scandinavia among breeders... You have some stool in prepared special letters (you buy them beforehand) and send in to a laboratory. After a couple of days you got the answer, and can tell your usual vet. Or buy prescription free preparates at the apothece / chemist...

Not very cheap but not a fortune either.

Good luck!