Nursing cat very thin and vomiting

jjshong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a new cat owner so please bear with me! We have a cat that is one year old and just had her first litter about 5 weeks ago. She has been nursing and eating a lot but has been begging for food in the kitchen which she never used to do. Today she vomited twice - it was mostly clear liquid with bits and pieces of food in it. I have noticed her thinness also increasing especially around the neck and hips. I became worried so wasn’t sure if anyone has advice for me.
so far I’m assuming she should stop nursing since the babies are drinking water and eating food now but will that be sufficient?
Thank you in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjshong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We had been opening as many cans of wet food as she wanted and she has a large bowl of dry consistently filled. The new thing she started doing was begging in the kitchen. I’m thinking maybe she started to taste more people food so now her food is less appetizing? We’ve stopped feeding her table food now and I also contacted a holistic veterinarian close by but if anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it! Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens is she nursing? Has she been wormed and treated for parasites?

I would continue feeding her as much as she wants for now, and if she wants people food from the kitchen I would give her that too.

What table food had you been giving her? Cats cannot have onion or garlic. It is toxic to them.

My cats like eggs, yogurt, beef, salmon, tuna, bacon, cheese, even peanut butter (all in small amounts except chicken, which I boil for them and shred it and they can have as much of that as they want.)

You should really get your cat checked by a vet. She may be anemic and need a B vitamin shot.

Have you been giving her any kitten formula to drink? Nursing cats need extra calcium too.

It sounds like she is deficient in something. A vet check is recommended.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely see a DVM (and would strongly discourage any that describe themselves as "holistic" as that is essentially a declaration they reject evidence-based medicine and will try to sell you ineffective, unproven remedies like homeopathy).

jjshong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - she has 4 kittens. We found another vet that answered even though the clinic was closed. She recommended we treat her tonight with pyrantel dewormer and give her a small amount of calcium to ease her stomach. We will bring her in this Friday if we don’t see improvement. I will find the kitten formula and try to feed her some of the items mentioned above. You’re very kind for the advice thank you all

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep us posted on her condition, and get her vet checked on Friday regardless.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you - she has 4 kittens. We found another vet that answered even though the clinic was closed. She recommended we treat her tonight with pyrantel dewormer and give her a small amount of calcium to ease her stomach. We will bring her in this Friday if we don’t see improvement. I will find the kitten formula and try to feed her some of the items mentioned above. You’re very kind for the advice thank you all
Much to my surprise, I saw kitten milk replacement (KMR) in the grocery store last week. You may find it there or at a pet store.

jjshong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news! We treated for worms and found kitten milk. We started feeding her plain cooked chicken with broth and she ate quite a bit for several days. The vet saw her and is pleased with her size and her behavior changes. She has gained weight, calmed down, doesn’t seem as starving and isn’t meowing as much. Thank you all for your advice and concern. It was such a relief to find this website with information and good support. The kittens are all doing well and have now found good homes to go to next week or so.