Nursing Cat swollen abdomen

Sheena87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens almost 3 weeks ago. Her labor and deliver seemed to go fine but call a sudden today she is very weak , her hips look like shes been starved but she has not , and her lower abdomen seems to be swollen and if touch her legs she makes a noise so shes def in pain. Her nipples arent really noticibky red they seem to be normal color tho sje been nursing. She is breathing heavy as well. I got her to drink a little bit of wster and she couldnt drink enough she was so thirsty but she not eating nor have i seen her use bathroom. I know I need to get to vet but they wont let me pay later so im wondering if theres any ideas what i can do it home to help her because I need help. Please.Thank you in the pic u can see her swollen

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry, but you really need to get her to a vet. It could be quite serious. Eclampsia is one thing that can occur two to four weeks after a cat has given birth and it needs urgent attention. I'm not saying that is what it is, but you do need to rule it out. :vibes:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact rescues to see if they offer rescue rates or know of any lower cost vet clinics that offer paybright or petcard. She needs to see the vet asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She likely has retained material from birthing and now has a serious uterine infection. She probably needs antibiotics like clavamox right away, and may even need an emergency spay to deal with it. She likely also needs pain meds to help her through this. It’s imperative that she see a vet right away for evaluation and meds.

Can you borrow money? This is an emergency!

In the meantime, she is suffering and also may need additional calcium to help with her heavy breathing. Give her kitten formula to drink, or plain, full fat yogurt, or even a dish of evaporated milk to help.

She needs emergency attention or she may die.

Please keep us posted! Sheena87 Sheena87