Nursing cat has clogged milk duct. What to do?

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma cat has a very swollen teat and it doesnt seem to be releasing any milk for the babies. This is her first litter and the babies are a little over a week old but she doesnt seem to be producing much milk now and i jusy worry what will happen if it stays clogged. She doesnt seem to be in pain even when they nurse on the teat either

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens gaining weight and not fussy or crying excessively? If they are not, then they can get enough milk, if they are fussy and crying excessively or the mother gets up as they try to nurse, then you'll need to bottle fed them. As for the mother, you'll need to use a warm, wet cloth and well, how might I put this, carefully try to expel the milk from the affected area. Pretty much, like milking the cat. I had to do this for a cat that had lost all her kittens. If you start seeing any puss or infection she must see a vet right away because if the infected milk were to get into her bloodstream, it would be very bad for her. Please feel free to pm me if needed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to see a vet for antibiotics to clear her infection. This is very important. It's called mastitis. Please take mom to the vet. Her babies will be okay at home for a couple of hours. Then all will be well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had just noticed the swelling today and it seems kinda large in my mind. The kittens try to suckle there but im not really sure if they are getting anything from it our not. I will try the warm presses and see how that goes and if it doesn't resolve soon I will take her in. Thanks so much for the advice its her first litter and Ive never had to deal with nursing problems like this but if it comes down to it I know Im capable of bottle feeding them :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldn't wait to take her in. This is easily resolved with antibiotics. You don't need to bottle feed. Mom is best. She has other nipples, but it can spread. Just take care of mom, and she will take care of her babies. Let us know how it goes.

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well after doing the hot presses puss started to come out the side of the swollen area and was yellow I got as much out as possible but theres still alot. Im so upset that this has happened so badly in just a day! Can I get her antibiotics at a pet store or only a vet? I wonder if its possible to just get the antibiotics without taking her in? Just happened in between pay so i cant afford to take her in right away. But getting a bottle and food for babies tomorrow!

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im hoping to go back and forth between bottle and letting them suckle off the 2 they can. Shes so small and skinny to begin with that only 2 other nipples are supplying and there are 3 babies so its a fight lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Antibiotics are only available through a vet. I am sure that the warm compresses have already helped a lot. Continue with this remedy in the meantime. Call a vet and ask if they will work with you financially.

How many kittens are there? Are her other nipples okay?

Kittens with a mother will NOT take a bottle! If her other nipples are good you do NOT need to supplement. You will have to syringe and this is not ideal with mom right there. Put the money you will spend on formula towards the office exam to get the antibiotics. I am not understanding your rush to try to bottle feed these kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rotate the babies. She should have more than 2 functioning nipples. The more they nurse the more the milk will come in the other nipples. Give mom and babies a chance, and please call a vet. Again, this is easily resolved and keep up the warm compresses.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also give mama kitty as much wet food and kitten chow as she can eat so she is healthy for feeding her babies . :)

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are 3 kittens and she has only 2 teats with milk now that the one is clogged. She cries when they try to suckle from it. Im just worried they arent getting enough from her bc shes not producing very much. I will call around and see what options i have and hopefully get her in soon. But i will continue with the warm presses til then. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay! Sounds good. I do understand your concern. Antibiotics will have that nipple back in action in 24 hours. Meanwhile, push the compresses for relief for mom and keep an eye on the babies. One can nurse while the others sleep. Keep us posted! Bless you!

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your help so far. None of the vet offices around me are open on Sundays so I will have to wait until Monday to call around. >.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You had got excellent advices.

With a little luck, it may be the vet is willing to prescribe some antibiotic paste on telephone.  They do so sometimes.

IF you will guard up and have something to supplement the kitten, goat milk is excellent, as good as most kmrs...   And if you dont need it for the kittens, just use it in your own coffe instead of cream...   :)

But you will need to use a needleless syringe, as SArthur told, of 1-1,5 ml.   And train some on how to do it.  It may be dangerous if done wrongly.

Tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, cautiously.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I would like to post that I think you should remove the kittens from her right now as it is not healthy for them to drink infected milk, the kittens will get sick. All the mammary glands on a cat are connected and as such, I think that the entire milk supply is contaminated. Please try to bottle-fed them. I agree with StefanZ. Continue with the warm compresses and keep expressing the milk. It will help her very much until Monday. She does need the antibiotics, you can only get those from a Vet with an RX. You can bottle feed them with either a syringe without  a needle or a special kitten bottle. I use the kitten bottles for stronger, older kittens who know how to nurse. I prefer the syringes for younger ones and for ones getting started on kmr.

ironqueen63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it safe to let the babies suckle the infected teat? I have been watching closely and they have started to suckle there again and must be getting something out bc they stay there and I just hate to think they could be getting some of the infection from it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I ironqueen63

How much has the inflammation gone down? How much pus has come out? If she is allowing the kittens to nurse from that nipple then your warm compresses must have helped.

Aren't you taking mama to the vet in the morning? Ask the vet if the babies have been exposed to infection through her milk.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@IronQueen63  I would not allow them to nurse from her at all. All the mammary glands are connected on that entire side and the entire milk supply has been tainted. I think you should try to bottle-feed them until you hear what the Vet says about it.