Nurse Kitties

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know y'all know what I'm talking about. The cats who know before you do that you're sick, who will do everything in their little power (even if that's just snuggling where it hurts) to be your nurse when something hurts or you're ill.

This morning, Mojo and Ginger were super-duper snuggly, and as the day has progressed, I'm feeling worse and worse. Super achy, nauseous, etc.
But they knew when I was still asleep. Ophelia is a little nurse too - she takes very good care of us! - but right now they are still working out each other's right to live in the house with Meowmy and Purrpa.
The only time Trent has been the slightest empathic is when Earl had pneumonia, and I think that's because Ophelia told Trent in no uncertain kitty terms that he would take care of Daddy (they seemed to take shifts to be with him).

So it got me wondering...are girl kitties really more empathic or is Trent just clueless?

Poll coming!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Kojak (my only male cat) and Velvet, Isabella, and Jasmine are all really snuiggly/more affectionate when they know something's wrong with me. It always makes me feel better when they will sleep beside me while i'm sick or try and "bathe" me
Out of all of my animals though- my dogs (both male) are the most affectionate and they DEFINITELY know when soemthing is wrong and i'm upset....Especially Fosters- he's probably the most in tune to my emotions out of all the animals

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats know when I'm not feeling well. (emotionally and physically) I actually have a tape somewhere of me laying on the couch with all 5 of the cats I had at the time laying with me. I had the flu and felt horrible. But there was... Pheelicks, Jennifer, Spaz, Mew, and a foster named Gracie surrounding me.

NOw I do have to say that my cat Jennifer is more in tune with my emotions. (She has always been a one person cat and I have had her for 14 years, so thats why I think she knows how I feel more then the others do.) If I am sad, she will come right over and curl up on my lap. normally she likes to lay next to me and not on me. but if I'm feeling down, she is right there.

I think its more of a cat thing, and not a male or female thing...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my cats know when I'm not feeling well but, it's definitely my older girls, Katie and Gracie, who've been with me the longest, that are most in tune with how meowmy's doing. When I'm sick, or am just a little down in the dumps, they're right there with me, being sweet and snuggly. Gracie turns into a total lap cat, which she's usually not. Peter and Claire are sweet too, of course, but they mostly just seemed confused when I'm sick.

I'll never forget a few years ago, before the younger two came along, I had a terrible stomach virus and spent all night in the bathroom. I was so worn out at one point, I just laid down on the bathmat and dozed off. When I woke up on the bathroom floor, my girls were right there, snuggled up against me. They made so happy on an otherwise miserable night.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy always knows. Last night I was upset about finding out my nan is very sick, and Stumpy was right there and slept with me all night, whereas Lily was nowhere to be seen, and Smudge just chewed my fingers...

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

So it got me wondering...are girl kitties really more empathic or is Trent just clueless?
Great Idea Heidi!

Milky is my nurse!
last week I had flu, and he was next to me purring me!
of course I put him in his hammock in order to not transmit to him any virus!
but he knows when Gema or I are sicks!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My rainbow bridge kitty Muggins was female and she was very attentive when I was sick. Reilly of course is male and when I had the flu last year, he stayed in bed with me for 24 hours straight, only leaving to use the litterbox and drink.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dorky Fish, my only little boy, is the first to know! PJ & Punky aren't technically mine & they're too self-absorbed in being 12 weeks old to notice anything unless it has feathers, moves, or both!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have a migraine, Maggie and Lola tend to hover around me or lay with me. Whenever I'm passing a kidney stone, Cleo won't leave my side. She'll be right there beside me as I'm writhing around in pain on the cool bathroom tile floor. Nobody seems to give a rip if I have a cold though....just as long as it doesn't interfere with the food dish being filled on time!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both Dexter & Sadie are my nurse kitties when I am ill.
Here is an adorable sig that Karen (AbbysMom) created for me when my babies were nursing me back to health when I was injured.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
DH is never sick and mine totally ignore me when I'm ill so can't say if girls are better or not.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Copper is the nurse cat in our house and is very sensitive to both people an animals. He is not a super affectionate or lovy cat, which is why his behavior stands out to me. He knew something bad was going to happen when Mia was sick (and about to get much sicker) and wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leave her side despite the fact she didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like the other cats and they had no attachment prior. When he wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leave her room at night to come to bed it hit me that maybe he knew something we didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t. A few hours later I found her cornea had ruptured and had to take her to the emergency vet for surgery. When I brought her home from surgery he was right back banging on the door to get back in by her. He would lead her to the food bowl to eat (but never eat a piece) and into the sun for naps…no words to describe how incredible witnessing the exchanges between them was. He stayed with her like that for about a month. Once she felt better he went back to spending his days napping on my bed.

Here is a picture of them I took during Mia's recovery:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow...Copper is one amazing little guy!

Interesting to hear how everyone's cat react to illness/injury, whether in their humans or other felines.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m sure Kitty couldn`t give a toss as long as he gets his food at regular intervals although I`ve been feeling really dizzy for the past hour and Kitty has been pestering me the whole time. He even layed half across my leg when I was about to get up for a drink but I`m sure he just wanted a super cuddle.

Anyhoo, he`s at the other end of the sofa now so either it`s safe to get up or he couldn`t care less

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voted "girls" because I've only ever had girl cats...so I don't have anything to compare them too.

Knowing when my husband and I are sick is how Spotty earned her nickname "Dr. Spotty".

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my male cats know if I'm not feeling good. Chablis (who is a very large kitty at 26Lbs) lays on my stomach if I'm feeling crampy. Its great! hes a big heating pad! Joey, he just starts pawing at you and wanting to lay on you constantly. Kahlua, doesnt care....
At work (I work at a doggy daycare) some of the dogs know if I'm not feeling good because they will just lay there and look at me and constantly be by my side.

kitties4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww. I love this thread!!!!

Bubbles is my little nurse. When I am really stuffed up with a cold, she even licks my nose! Lol!!! I give her lots of extra cuddles when it's obvious she's trying to take care of me. I love knitting and I always say I'm going to knit her a little nurses hat. That silly little doodle.

And yes, my friends DO think I'm slightly nuts when I tell them these sorts of things! I have a feeling that folks here will know these feelings alllllllllllll too well though!

Someone please tell me I'm not TOTALLY nuts!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kitties4ever

And yes, my friends DO think I'm slightly nuts when I tell them these sorts of things! I have a feeling that folks here will know these feelings alllllllllllll too well though!

Someone please tell me I'm not TOTALLY nuts!
You are not totally nuts....
we all feel the same way here.