Number of breeds?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That depends on the association, there are also Championship breeds and others under experimental status.

typically most associations recognise around 50 breeds

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The number of recognized breeds varies quite a lot from one association to another.
According to the most recent information I can find:
CFA recognizes 45
TICA recognizes 73
FiFE recognizes 48
GCCF recognizes 40

There are other associations I haven't researched.

The vast majority of cats (approx. 95%) are no specific breed. The are generally know as Domestic Shorthair or Longhair, moggies, random bred, etc.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many types of breeds are there?
Counting them all would take hours because every cat registry has a different list for both championship and experimental breeds. Also I have my personal preferences for what should be considered a separate breeds and divisions that are totally against what anyone in the cat fancy does, such as showing exotic shorthairs and shorthaired Persians and cymrics as longhaired Manxes, but that is another topic.

One reason for the difference is how cat associations define a breed. For decades, the Cat Fanciers Association refused to accept any feline hybrids even after the fourth generation; Bengals were not allowed to be registered with the CFA until 2016 because they started with an Asian leopard mating a domestic shorthair. Another is what Europeans think of straight-eared Scottish folds and Manxes with a stump or tail.