numb

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sort of numb today you see in the past 3 days 3 of my ferals have passed the first i have no clue what happened with baby lucky she was about 6-7 weeks survived being run ovre by my cousins lawn mower two weeks ago but she was just lying their with a weird expression as if shed been nursing when it happened and her momma was trying to love her all better, then yesterday when i woke up one of the yellow twin kittens was laying on the sidewalk he was only their from the waist up and their was a lot of blood smeer i found his tail a lil ways off then this morning my nebighor found his Mama different mama than lucky & the matriarch of our feral colony lying next to her minivan it seemed shed been hit but managed to make it to the sidewalk before she died.Rosie was born feral but you would never have guessed seeing her interact with my family or my dog se was so sweet and loving but was never verry smart i cant count the number of times over the last 4 1/2 years i've had to chase her out of the road or use the squirt bottle to get her moving away from the middle of the road where she decided to stop for a washits weird that shes not their and the other 4 female adults seem a bit lost though Sassy Luckys Mama has taken on Butterball. so RIP Lucky, Dandy , and Rosie Posie you will be missed

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
When you have a multiple cats dying at the same time that seemed perfectly healthy prior to their death(I am assuming the lawn mower accident was a while ago), then I am sorry to say poisoning is a real possibility. Whether accidental or deliberate. Lawn chemicals, Rat Poison or Antifreeze are the most common products that causes poisoning among outdoor cats. The common signs of poisoning are: Vomiting, Diarrhea, drooling, blood found in vomit or stools, difficulty breathing, lethargy or weakness, pale gums, also disorientation or unconsciousness.

I am familiar with your other thread. You were under threat of getting fined for feeding them. Someone may be taking matters into their own hands. Please contact the SPCA and tell them three cats died under suspicious circumstances. Tell them everything and let them investigate. It could be the cats got accidentally poisoned, but let them come to that conclusion. In the meanwhile, please try to keep your other cats safe. Feed them well and out of site. Keep your eyes open and be vigilant. This may get worse if not dealth with properly. Sorry for your loss.😕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
their was only one where we didn't know the circumstances with was Lucky and yes she survived over 2 weeks after the lawn mower incident and was as far as i could tell pretty healthy although she had a bad eye from the mower incident the vet said would either heal on its own or need removed (just before he retired), Dandy was half eaten by something and Rosie was hit by a car since the bridge reopened larger than before our quiet road is much busier it was closed for 13 months and as i said Rose wasn't exactly the brightest cat I've walked between her and cars in the past i think its just fate she made it to 4 1/2. tried bringing her in 2 years ago but she didn't care for life indoors refused the litterbox and constantly yowled at the door so she was outdoors where she wanted to be.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have predators like Coyotes? That is another possibility. To lose three at one time is a lot. I hope you find out what was the cause of these deaths.

I hope some other members can see this post and offer there advice on this matter. I am logging off for the night. Once again so sorry this happened to you. Hang in there!

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice the police suggested rabbit cages but i cant do that and afford to send them to kansas next month i dont keep rabbits so i would have to buy the cages, we have large dogs that roam town a stray pack they haven't been in my nebighorhood before but our nebighors pit-bull likes to chase cats and "play" with them, they don't survive the "play" and i know of a nearby Fox family I've seen the Vixen and Kits from a distance 3-4 times we're a rural town and i'm about a block from the tracks and so coyotes are a possiblity but if so why just the one kitten that night and why only the back half? the first kitten that died could have been posion she might have eaten or drank somthing she shouldn't have as they have been in the trash lately its possible somthing she pulled out of our grabage or the nebighors killed her, but the eaten one bothers me a lot why just the back half and why was the tail about a foot away from the torso?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes usually don't bother cats, I have seen them eating close to cats many times. I would bet it was a coyote or a dog, they often kill and leave remains behind. Poor little Lucky may have had internal injuries that just finally proved to be too much.
I am so very sorry these sweet little ones had to go, my heart aches for your pain. There is never an explanation that will ease the pain of a broken heart, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
You gave these sweet babies a better life, they had food and shelter and you to love them. They are at peace because they have your love to carry with them. The life of a feral is full of danger. Bad things happen to those that don't deserve it. All you did was try to help those in need, you went above and beyond what anyone else was doing, I salute you.
You will always have a bond of love tying their love to your soul. No one or anything can take that from you. It is spiritual, so eternal. Please know that all you wanted was to make their lives a little easier and that you did accomplish that. Heartache happens, but it does make us feel happiness all the more. don't give up, I know this is a huge blow to your heart, but you are strong, look what you have accomplished. Your heart is good and you will be blessed for helping God's creatures. You are stronger than you think, and we are here to help you back up when you fall. Take care of yourself, there are still those left who love and depend on you. It takes a long time to heal a broken heart, and it always leaves a scar. So just give yourself time, it is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief. One day at a time......RIP dear Lucky, Dandy, and Rosie Posie, you will always be remembered and loved. You are all together now at the Rainbow Bridge, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet the one who misses you so very much again!

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have 5 cats indoors aged not quite 1 year, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 5, & 7 but i'm seriously considering bringing Dandy's twin Butterball inside he's only 6-7 weeks maybe 8 just now eating solids as his main food and at the end of last month the day before Houdini passed i shooed away two kids who had wanted to take him and Dandy home with them as they were much too young to leave their mother yet, Butters still nursing on one of the other females but i worry hes such a bright yellow and so bouncy please tell me i should leave him with his family instead of bringing him in (my biggest worry on that front is temp differences and fleas hes too small for flea meds yet)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would be much safer inside if at all possible. It is just too dangerous outside. If he does get fleas you could possibly give him a bath with Dawn dish detergent when he is still small enough to handle. Start with a ring of detergent and water around his neck to keep the fleas from crawling to his head when he gets in the water. If he insuring on another mother, you might leave him for another week or so to grow up with a mom just a little longer. Good luck.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with di and bob di and bob about bringing in Butterball. He is way to young and vulnerable out there. Also, I don't think Foxes are responsible for the vicious attacks. I also believe it was either a dog or Coyote who was responsible for this vicious attack. RIP Lucky, Dandy and Rosie Posey. So sorry this happened. 🙁

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for all your losses. When we had the feral feeding station at my work years ago, a number of cats were killed by night roaming dogs, which lead us to vacate the rest of the cats from the colony. The dog attacks were witnessed by the people who lived next to the parking lot where the cats were.

I agree with bringing in Butterball. Jamie was 4 weeks old, abandoned, and covered with fleas when I knew that I had to rescue him as he was dying. I gave him a bath in some mild liquid soap, it was either a dish soap or Dr. Bronner's and he was fine and it did get rid of the fleas. In Jamie's case, the fleas were already going to his eyes for liquid, but we did manage to get them all off, so it can be managed.

You have had a lot to deal with it must be very exhausting for you but you are kind to keep going for the cats.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for all your losses. When we had the feral feeding station at my work years ago, a number of cats were killed by night roaming dogs, which lead us to vacate the rest of the cats from the colony. The dog attacks were witnessed by the people who lived next to the parking lot where the cats were.

I agree with bringing in Butterball. Jamie was 4 weeks old, abandoned, and covered with fleas when I knew that I had to rescue him as he was dying. I gave him a bath in some mild liquid soap, it was either a dish soap or Dr. Bronner's and he was fine and it did get rid of the fleas. In Jamie's case, the fleas were already going to his eyes for liquid, but we did manage to get them all off, so it can be managed.

You have had a lot to deal with it must be very exhausting for you but you are kind to keep going for the cats.
He would be much safer inside if at all possible. It is just too dangerous outside. If he does get fleas you could possibly give him a bath with Dawn dish detergent when he is still small enough to handle. Start with a ring of detergent and water around his neck to keep the fleas from crawling to his head when he gets in the water. If he insuring on another mother, you might leave him for another week or so to grow up with a mom just a little longer. Good luck.
I agree with di and bob di and bob about bringing in Butterball. He is way to young and vulnerable out there. Also, I don't think Foxes are responsible for the vicious attacks. I also believe it was either a dog or Coyote who was responsible for this vicious attack. RIP Lucky, Dandy and Rosie Posey. So sorry this happened. 🙁
Well every one Butterball became an indoor kitty as of last night when i caught him playing in the middle of the road instead of under our car like the other kittens i trued simply moving him out of the road and over to the others but by the time my Holly (dog) finished her business he was in the road again so i grabbed him up and just a few moments affter we reached the middle of the ramp that serves as a walk way from our house to the road and is aprox 9 ft long a car went by faster than the speed limit so that was what decided it Butter is now cat number 6 Maries loves him Caramel is having issues and isnt talking to anyone Royal is indifferent as long as butter dosen't expect him to play, Mignon thinks hes cute but is reserving judgement till he as a bit of time and Sweetie well she dosen't have the best temperment towards other cats , she loves Marie and Caramel and even likes holly but dilikes male cats it seems as she will hiss at Mignon and Royal if they try to do social grooming or uninvited snugggling but thats just her she adores mu grandfather lol anyway just thought i'd let yu know butter has come in and is currently under a laundry basket till everyone is used to him and he maybe grows a bit also this morning he had a crusty eye should i be concerned? i washed little eye with warm water on a paper towel and he opened it but still looks a lil wattery.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on finally getting Butterball, who certainly would have met his fate a few minutes later on that road. I know you have multiple cats, but these articles might help. I would watch the eye and possibly keep him away from the others just in case it is communicable. Do you have any place that he can have a little more space to himself? If not, Butterball is lucky to have found a home and to be safe at least.

Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on finally getting Butterball, who certainly would have met his fate a few minutes later on that road. I know you have multiple cats, but these articles might help. I would watch the eye and possibly keep him away from the others just in case it is communicable. Do you have any place that he can have a little more space to himself? If not, Butterball is lucky to have found a home and to be safe at least.

Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks but with Carmie locked in my room untill thursday the laundry basket will have to do, i doubt its contagious as none of the others in the colony have similar issues i'm hopefulll its just allergies and then environmet change he dosent approach the others much but we did introduce him to each one to get sort of a baseline reaction they all sniffed him except sweets and marie started to wash his bottom till he decided he'd rather scale the sofa but most of the time he's in his space with a small cann of fancy feast with added water and a small chip dip lid of kitten fod he also has a toy fishey and a crinckle ball i take hi to the litter bx and so far he has mastered piddling in the box but not yet pooing that a work in progress because it started solid but now is a little loose could be the extra canned food is a bit rich for his tummy or the change in temprature from nearly 90 outsde to a nice 73 inside but yeah keeping an eye on him and have an appointment or him to get a checkup on monday at a discount because he was born to a feral colony. aka $25 office fee instead of $45 so :) and he's little enough the laundry baket allows pleanty of room to play with his fishey or crinckle ball while stying safe and keeping oters at a distance.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :wavey::woo:Congratulations on getting Butterball inside and making an appt for the Vet to look him over. A little crustiness in the eye may not be anything serious. However, if it is heavy crusting of the eyes that are red and pussing-- then it is possible the kitty could have something. It could be Conjunctivitis or it could be the Feline Herpes Virus. Please continue keeping Butterball separated from the other cats until your vet has a good look at him. If it turns out that he has an eye infection or Feline Herpes then he will be put on antibiotics and eye ointment to treat it. One of my cats had FHV, it was treated with Antibiotics and special eye ointment and she was fine for the rest of her life. FHV manifests when the kitty has an Upper Respiratory infection or is stressed out. It can reoccur under those conditions. So work at keeping Butterball calm. Keep wiping his eyes with warm water or you can buy special eye wipes in the store. Thank you for taking this little one in for now. Attached is an article on eye issues in cats. Have a good night. 🙂
Signs Your Cat May Have an Eye Infection

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Butter is doing better had a bath in dawn yesterday though his left eyes still a bit red and watery no other symptoms have shown up and it hasnt gotten worse vet appointment tomorrow anyway as promised here is a picture of Butter(please forgive the mess the water bowl is to the left just ff camera on the carpeted area the linoleuim is a narrow hallway and anyway that little cranny tends to be over looked lol)
229874174_365395918494769_9014031785150259445_n.jpg

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he guys sorry its been so long life Butter has herpes infection of the eyes and well the first eye drop helped at first then seemed to agrivate we're now finishing up eye drop 2 different from eye drop 1 and if it dosent clear or comes back we willl be going to an oral antibiotic he's also 1 1/2 -2 weeks younger than i belive according to the vet as he weighed only 1.1 lbs me i think it was just living out side and being weened young because i belive his mom had the beginings of mastitis before being killed not tomention he just had growth spurt i hate to take a pic right now cause his eyes are icky eye drop one took it from left eye only to both eyes affected left eye was swolllen the morning we took him back in and got eye drop 2 vet said it looked like he scratched eye drops should help o thats where we are.
:yess: :wavey::woo:Congratulations on getting Butterball inside and making an appt for the Vet to look him over. A little crustiness in the eye may not be anything serious. However, if it is heavy crusting of the eyes that are red and pussing-- then it is possible the kitty could have something. It could be Conjunctivitis or it could be the Feline Herpes Virus. Please continue keeping Butterball separated from the other cats until your vet has a good look at him. If it turns out that he has an eye infection or Feline Herpes then he will be put on antibiotics and eye ointment to treat it. One of my cats had FHV, it was treated with Antibiotics and special eye ointment and she was fine for the rest of her life. FHV manifests when the kitty has an Upper Respiratory infection or is stressed out. It can reoccur under those conditions. So work at keeping Butterball calm. Keep wiping his eyes with warm water or you can buy special eye wipes in the store. Thank you for taking this little one in for now. Attached is an article on eye issues in cats. Have a good night. 🙂
Signs Your Cat May Have an Eye Infection
you were right FHV vet said pretty mild and butter most likely was slightly allergc to the first drops so onto eye drop two and if they dont work oral antibiotics and eye cream will be next up. thanks butters still seperated from everyone unless he gets away durring potty trips as i learned the hard way a poty bx in his bed dosent work unless you want to clean poopy litter off te floor of the pack an pay he stays in , butter now has his own water dish no one else uses and has Nutri- Cal twice a day hes to small yet fr flea eds but baths in dawn along w/ a flea comb were vet recomended untill he's bigger. anyway what im trying to ay is Thank Yo
u.