Nueter after care question

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

I just got my new addition Charlie nuetered last tuesday. Well... he just went #2 and left the box before he was all the way done
so he got it on his leg and close to the incision site. I wiped him best I could- he is such a brat about holding still! I've looked at the area since then and everything looks ok, but should I clean the area any? or let it be

Thanks for any input

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can take a damp rag to it again, but he'll take care of it, too.

Was his stool loose?

By now, as far as the incisions go, he should be already starting to heal. (it was a normal neuter, correct?) Obviously no full baths, yet. But otherwise he should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it was a little loose- I will call the vet as soon as they open tommorow. He was a feral kitten so he had a few parasites- he may need another deworming.

Yeah his nueter went great
nothing out of the ordinary. I've been checking the site daily all has been well

I will post pics of the little trouble-maker asap

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet that and the stress of the neutering made his stool loose. He's in good hands, though, so I'm sure you'll have that dealt with. Make sure he has a large enough litter box so he doesn't make too many messes on himself (stepping in it or positioning himself poorly and getting it on his legs).

If you have any ongoing stool issues make sure to post back.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

pre-nueter his stools were perfect (finally) so I was a little upset to see this one a bit messy- I did'nt even think of the stress issue! Thank you sooo much

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep very basic baby wipes on hand for this ( they can be warmed if need be)

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first brought our feral, Lucky, home, he was so nasty & smelly from being in a carrier for 2-3 days, I scruffed & washed him, but after that I've just assumed that he would clean himself; when he was neutered at @6 mos old, (about 9 mos ago) he was still so wild I could not have checked nor cleaned him without major tactics and stress. The vet had commented that she had had to use a couple of stitches because "he was such a big boy", but I let him take care of himself & just observed that he was comfortable. Luckily, our Lucky came thru with no problems. lol. He is very fastidious about himself, does the most thorough head to tail cleanup I've ever seen before napping or bedding down, prob so no predator will find him. I saw him a few weeks ago scratching at a place on our wood floors as tho he was trying to bury something (near the laundry room/litterbox). I went right over, and it was a tiny piece of poo, no larger than 1/4 of a fishing worm. Thank goodness he alerted me, or consequences could have been messy on nearby carpet with us tracking it!
Ewwww. P.S. He's a big lover-boy now, except for laps & picking up totally off the ground.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sharky

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry too much over it, the surgery was five days ago so he should be healing up quickly at the incision site anyway. I had this problem with Perkins after surgery and loose poops. I just warmed up a baby wipe with warm water and gently (tried) to blot the area as best I could. They will clean up after themselves too.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much

I've been giving him regular baths since I got him
He's pretty good for his baths, but won't let me clean up his bum

He did'nt get any stitches, and the site looks really good- just hoping for no more messes

It's only been 5 days but I can tell those male hormones are gone! No more painfull biting, just good ole kitten play agh

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll take care of it himself, but just incase he doesn't, look him over again later to make sure he's clean.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all sooo much for your input

Just got back from the vet, he's got another round of de-wormer so all should be well soon

Love ya'll!