Nucy - gagging and gurgling

kellyb1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning All,
Our 18 yr old burmese was recently diagonised with kidney disease :-( then about 3 months ago lost her meow and starting doing a gagging sound everytime she ate or drank. We took her back to the vet and they gave her an injection and said it will clear up but still hasnt so back to the vet last week and given 2 antibiotics as vet thought cat flu ? which i thought sounded strange as only happens when she eats or drinks but just finished the last of the antibiotics today and she is actually worse, the gagging sound has stopped but has been replaced by a gurgling sound which sounds terrible and worried if painful. Rang vet again yesterday and still waiting for a call back. Also doesnt seem to be eating much as think it hurts her. We are worried as due to her age and having kidney disease do we stress her with more tests ??? or is it time to say good bye. I feel our vet will keep suggesting tests but not sure if that is in best interest or to make money. Anyone had anything similar happen to their fur baby ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken a chest X-ray? I don't know anything about kidney disease. But my layman guesstimations think it could be congestion from a kitty cold or upper respiratory infection, fluid or mass in the lungs, or mass in the nose or throat. (That might not be a complete list of possibilities.) It could be simple or it could be serious. But I don't think you should give up just yet nor shy away from a vet visit. An X-ray should be relatively easy and affordable for them to get without needing to sedate her--unless she's a fighter in the back room like my angel Krista was. For that, sometimes my old vet would give her a short puff of the gas--not enough to put her under, but enough for her to take it down a few notches. Maybe that's something your vet might consider before sedation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kellyb1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello daftcat75 - no they havent done chest xray yet so i will ask them today if they can do on
thank you Kelly

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will also want bloodwork done. There are bacterial and viral infections that affect the lungs like this. And, if your vet is not responsive to your cat's needs, you may want to consider making a change...or at least getting a second opinion.