Nuclear Sclerosis In Puppy

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
My maine coon's best friend happens to be a puppy we rescued around the same time as her. they've began growing together and they are both about 4 months old now.
Fenris our pup however has started showing signs of very early nuclear sclerosis and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this in such a young animal. My vet said inevitably he will have cataracts. As of right now he can see just fine and knows his little play thing by smell. He can find her anywhere.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It is my understanding that this is an age related problem affecting the eye and since Fenris is so young you may want to consider consulting a veterinary ophthalmologist. He will require regular monitoring to check for the development of cataracts. However, if a cataract is detected in the early stages it can be surgically corrected for best results. Thinking of you and Fenris. :hugs:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cataract surgery in pets has advanced just like with humans. It's a simple procedure of replacing the lens. I don't know what kind of cost you're looking at though :/. I would consult with a veterinary ophthalmologist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not to worried about the cost really. Whatever would make his life better we are willing to pay I just wanted to make sure it was something i could help him with. My vet was very confused too by him being so young but he showed me what hes talking about in his eyes as well as pictures which the eyes were similar to fenny's :( poor kid. He said it was a genetic thing. It's very rare in pups.
I have a house full of little misfits and genetic weird-os lol
We're going to keep an eye on it and once a cataract forms well handle it :)
My vet is going to do regular check ups to see if he can give me an estimate of when he'll need surgery

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have everything under control. Best wishes and special thoughts for your puppy and you. :hugs: