Nub-e's necropsy results.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet called me today with the results of the Animal Diagnostic Lab at UW Madison. The message on the answering machine said the results were quite interesting.

First was he had the corona virus -pockets of it in lungs,liver and spleen. He also had bordetella which is found in cats as well as dogs. He 1st said there was a third item but we didn't cover it as we got to talking about FIP.
He said this was a very atypical corona virus which they didn't not suspect.
He was glad that we both had decided to have Nub-e pts rather than continuing as he had the wet form of FIP which regardless of form is fatal.
He learned that treating him with prednisone this most likely accelerated the symptoms. We discused why there aren't any good tests for FIP.
He also reassured my that the other cats are safe as it isn't infectious.
As to how he accquired the virus he wasn't sure.

He said the knowledge learned from the necropsy will be very useful for treating cats in the future. While its good to know that Nub-e's illness can help its still sad that we had to lose him.

I will be contacting the animal hospital tomorrow where we got him from to pass on the information.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

He said the knowledge learned from the necropsy will be very useful for treating cats in the future. While its good to know that Nub-e's illness can help its still sad that we had to lose him.
Oh Gail...
I'm just so sorry. It is so sad you had to lose him.
I'm glad you're not left wondering, and I'm glad you KNOW you did the right thing. But it doesn't take away the pain of losing him.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry Nub-e died
but I'm very glad you got answers, it's awful always wondering

lili2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Gail, first of all i am so sorry for your lost, I know what it is, I just lost my kitty Lili this Sunday...

We still don't know what it was exactly, we are waiting for results of necropsy.

I have 2 questions:

1/ How long did you have to wait for the results?

2/ Could you please describe the signs of the illness?

The thing is that I am suspecting that my Lili is dead because of the same illness. Not that it would change something on the fact she is dead, but i need to know what went wrong....

She was absolutely adorable loving 3 years old Siamese, female, neutered. Her kidneys were small and not 100% OK, but it didn't cause her any problems except the fact that her stool didn't get humid enough to get out correctly. But i bought a special food with fiber and it helped, so she didn't seem to have any particular problem. Also her kidneys didn't damaged in time, their condition were still the same.

Only last Thursday Nov 24th when i came back from work I saw her sleeping, all the time, when i called her for playing she would usually be the first to come. This time she was just looking at me and wouldn't move. So i took her in my bed. She was looking very tired, so i thought she was playing the whole day with her sister and her son. Next morning I saw her coming to her food, not eating, no drinking, moving slowly, almost like a robot or machine. When she wanted to jump on the chair, she fall down. I took her directly to the vet, she had fever (39.6 C), so she gave her antibiotics, water under the skin, maybe some painkillers. She sent us home saying that if she doesn't start eating by Sunday we should come back on Monday. She didn't say anything about drinking... Next day, the same, she came to her water fountain, she was just standing there and staring at the water and drunk little bit. Then she went to the toilet to pee and then she went back to her bed. We called a vet emergency, went there, another vet saying that it can happen that antibiotics take sometimes 2-3 days to act. She had still the same fever, she gave her antibiotics, water took her blood, sent us home. Sat evening we had results saying that everything looks fine, only Bilirubin was higher, but she wouldn't worry much about it...Next day-Sunday, even worse, she was purring all day (she was purring very rarely, only with us in the bed), we took her to another vet, because the previous told us to disturb her only when it becomes very urgent (...?). She gave her AB and something for the liver. We went back home and seeing that she had difficulty with breathing, so we called the previous vet, she gave us 3 options: 1/ You wait until the Monday, keeping her at home; 2/ You bring her to my office and I will evaluate her condition either to go to the hospital or not or 3/ Go to the hospital directly. We choose the second, when she saw Lili, she didn't even give her any medication, she just directly called the hospital. We came there, the vet that saw Lili said that she is dehydrated and definitely must stay there for IV. But she wasn't anxious, me neither. My cat wasn't dying! So we let her there, thinking that we couldn't help more... Mistake of my life! I should have stayed next to her to give her the psychologic support, she needed. Maybe she was panicking that we were not there, or she thought we left her there for good... she hated the vets... already when she had problems with pooping she was tortured that i cried with her in the vet's office.... My poor little baby. We were driving back home, the hospital called that Lili is in a critical condition, she has a fluid in her lungs and dyspnea (heavy breathing). That they will call me later. My husband asked me if we are coming back to the hospital and I said no, i don't know why i did that. Why i just didn't say yes. I can't understand my own reaction. Maybe I was under the shock, I didn't know but it was stupid decision. Maybe i thought that anyway they wouldn't let me to see her, or i would be just disturbing, or i couldn't stand that helpless and powerless feeling I had last 3 days. We came back home, the hospital called that they are trying to stabilize Lili, that she is very sorry that she scared me so much. It sounded like it would be OK, Or maybe I wanted to believe that it will be OK. She told us that she won't call us each hour, only next morning or in case something serious happen... I was praying for her live and as soon as I finished with my "pray", the telephone rang...Lili is dead.... saying that they were trying everything, to re-animate her, but nothing helped. She had a blood in her lungs.

I am crying day and night. She was our preferred one. I lost very precious soul.

I want to understand what happened. Could I prevent it? Could I save her? I need to "justify" her death, she cannot be gone for something banal or something ordinary. I have regrets that I didn't stay with her, that i didn't come back, that i couldn't help her. I can't change anything on it. Yesterday I called the vet from the hospital, i asked her if she was suffering, if she was panicking, maybe the stress killed her. She told me that everything was going so quickly that she didn't have time to panic or to suffer, that she was laying down quietly and peacefully. I hope she didn't lie to me, just to bring a kind of comfort. Whoever decided that she should die, I HATE him/her/it! I mean it. We gave her happy life and she returned it 10times to us, that's how it was.

I am waiting for the results like it should help me.... I need to know if I did something wrong...

I terribly miss her!

RIP Lili 2008-2011

Last edited: