Now you know....useful information

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the queen of random and often useless information, I should really be a contestant on quiz like game shows. But sometimes you come across new information that could really be helpful, even if it's a slim chance it would come in handy.
I wanted to share this post I saw on line, because well, you never know...
1618186116393.png

I double checked if this was true, and it is!

What types of random useful information do you have to offer?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't mix ammonia or anything containing ammonia with anything containing chlorine (I.E. bleach), it produces several different types of toxic gasses and can kill you and your pets. Related to that, don't use bleach to clean litterboxes indoors, do it outside.

Actually, just don't mix anything with bleach. Nothing good comes of it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding a pinch of salt to your ground coffee before brewing will counter the acid without making your coffee taste salty.

If you like your coffee black but don't want to burn your tongue, it's worthwhile to make coffee ice cubes you can use to cool your coffee. After they freeze, store them in a Ziploc freezer bag to prevent evaporation/freezer burn.

Hot water freezes faster than cold water (counter-intuitive, but true). It seems to be a momentum thing.

A pint-sized Ziploc freezer bag (try Walmart if you're having trouble finding them) will safely protect your smartphone from water (say in the shower) and the touch screen works just fine through the bag.

Solarcaine (or any similar sunburn remedy) will effectively reduce the pain of bad bruises. But be sure to wash your hands after you spray it; it tastes horrible!

Margret

Kathrines_Cat^_^

Cat! :-D
Young Cat
Purraise
Rubbing your hands with stainless steel will get garlic/onion/fish/etc. odors out. They now sell soap-shaped stainless steel thingies but a spoon works just as well, lol.
Woah that's a weird fact!
Did you know the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A pint-sized Ziploc freezer bag (try Walmart if you're having trouble finding them) will safely protect your smartphone from water (say in the shower) and the touch screen works just fine through the bag
I did that when I went kayaking up on the UP of Michigan! I was able to take pictures, but not worry about splashes.

I'm trying to think of what cool facts I might know.

Kathrines_Cat^_^

Cat! :-D
Young Cat
Purraise
Peroxide removes blood from fabric.
When I was about 9 or 10, my little sister fell and cut her head on the sharp edge of the shelf and ended up bleeding all over our carpet before we where able to get her to the hospital. (She was fine. They sealed it with super glue and it healed okay.) Anyways, My mom's at the time boyfriend used Hydrogen peroxide to remove the stains. All he did was pour a little on the stained areas, let it sit until it stopped bubbling, and whipped it up.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Q-tips are not meant for your ears.

"Flushable wipes" aren't septic safe.

Mouth wash was originally marketed as a floor cleaner.

Oh my goodness sorry I should have put a gore warning before posting that. :sigh: :frustrated:
Sorry!
No reason to be sorry. I have an extremely gory job, but I just didn't want to turn anyone else off from this topic 😁

I love this topic Jem Jem

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Flushable wipes" aren't septic safe.
They aren't flushable period, they do not biodegrade and cause massive problems in sewer systems. Do a search for "fatbergs", and then wonder why these companies that produce them aren't being sued for blatant false advertising by cities all over the country that spend millions on cleaning them up every year.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you know the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet?
Yes, I did know that; it's why we used to practice it in typing class (and the fact that I took typing class in high school should tell you something about my age;)).

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peroxide removes blood from fabric.
I feel like I should have known that, but I never thought of it.

OTOH, I seriously doubt that hydrogen peroxide is color-safe. I know that it can be used as a bleach (it's where the term "peroxide blonde" came from).

If you're uncertain, wash by hand in cold water. By hand, because even on the "Cold" cycle washing machines add some hot water. Hot water will set blood stains; cold water won't.

Margret

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like I should have known that, but I never thought of it.

OTOH, I seriously doubt that hydrogen peroxide is color-safe. I know that it can be used as a bleach (it's where the term "peroxide blonde" came from).

If you're uncertain, wash by hand in cold water. By hand, because even on the "Cold" cycle washing machines add some hot water. Hot water will set blood stains; cold water won't.

Margret
We learned it from the nurse at the ER when DH tried to “pet the lawnmower” as I’ve called the incident. :crazy: (He healed up ok without too much evidence.) He had been wearing khaki pants and a blue top from Columbia. I didn’t even try to clean it for a few days and it all came out without damaging anything. He still wears them to do yard work and outdoor projects actually.

I wouldn’t try it on anything expensive; but it did work on everything without taking out the color when DS put a tooth in his lip as a baby. That one bled good on his clothes, blue fleece carseat snow set, a bib and favorite stuffed animal. 🤦🏻‍♀️ (Worst mommy moment ever!!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was about 9 or 10, my little sister fell and cut her head on the sharp edge of the shelf and ended up bleeding all over our carpet before we where able to get her to the hospital. (She was fine. They sealed it with super glue and it healed okay.) Anyways, My mom's at the time boyfriend used Hydrogen peroxide to remove the stains. All he did was pour a little on the stained areas, let it sit until it stopped bubbling, and whipped it up.
Oh that’s right; I saved another outfit and a wash cloth when DS split his head open jumping around a few years later. Somehow he didn’t bleed on himself last fall when he lost a fight with a basement floor... Boys! :lol2: :rolleyes2:

Head wounds do bleed a lot like that. 😣
I did know that (thanks work!), but I was afraid to go down the gory road lol
I’m just raising a boy. 🤪