Now we have a pigeon that is "hiding"

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I said we had an injured pigeon that would lay down to eat but could still fly, we never were able to catch it but it seems that the injury is improving, not well yet but it has improved somewhat and it is still here so that is a good sign! Last night I saw a pigeon standing next to one of my firewood piles, seemed okay, then it went back behind the pile and the garage. I thought maybe it was scared because we have idiots who have to shoot off fireworks that sound like bombs and forgot about it until this afternoon. I remembered it and went and looked and it is still hanging out there, doesn't seem to be in distress or injured, so I called my friend from Pocono Animal rescue who has helped us many times and she asked if there were flies around it which would mean an open injury but it doesn't have that. She asked if it had leg bands but we can't see it, it burrows itself in there when scared, but we also see it alert with it's head up, and we are wondering if it was someone's and just lost it's way and found these other ones here and is just timid to come out? I put a bowl with water out at her suggestion, and there is plenty of bird seed so it can eat, and we are just going to keep an eye on it, if it is okay, great, if it becomes obvious that it needs help then we will try to help it.

Always something!!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes homing pigeons will stop for a while to rest if something disrupts their trip. I'd give him a few days before getting too worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes homing pigeons will stop for a while to rest if something disrupts their trip. I'd give him a few days before getting too worried.
I hope that is true in this case! He/she doesn't seem in distress, but we will keep a watchful eye on it.

Thanks!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
It was out this morning, close to the other ones that were eating but not in the seeds, a few feet away from it and them, and we noticed it seemed like maybe there was a little something wrong with it, but then at times it didn't look too bad. So I went downstairs to get a cat carrier so I could try to catch it, which wigged Sylvester out lol, went outside and they were all gone, Deb was watching from the window and said they all flew (they are very skittish and any little noise makes them fly), and that this one flew up to the garage roof which is at least 13' tall, but when I went to see if it was hiding behind the woodpile again it was, but we know it can fly at least somewhat, so we'll just be in "wait and see" mode, we've seen them in the past where they just need a few days or so to be okay again.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting out back we saw it come out of hiding, walked over to eat where the seed is and ate amongst a bunch of other pigeons, seemed pretty good but it's right wing is down a bit lower to the ground and twice lifted it's left wing to sort of balance itself, then walked back in and hid behind the wood pile, so it's right wing is injured, hopefully not broken, but again Deb saw it fly this morning up to the garage roof which is at least 13 or 14 feet high or higher, so maybe it just needs a little time to heal? It would be darn near impossible to catch this one just like the last injured one!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it might have just pulled a muscle and needs a safe place to heal. Good food, good hiding places, what more does he need? :D

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He or she is still around, hides out behind the wood pile but walks around a lot and looks so darn cute doing it, but we are so hesitant to try to catch it, we don't want to scare it and make it think that we are trying to chase it away, but we would like to get it and see if it can be helped but we still don't know how? It comes out to eat and drink, but then hangs out behind the wood pile which is about 2 feet in front of the garage so it is almost impossible to get it!

Ugh....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think and hope that our little friend has healed up and moved on, we don't see him hiding in the wood pile anymore and we thankfully don't see any feathers or signs that something got him, and I doubt he would've left us unless he was okay so I hope that he is okay!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday there was a dead bird under our grill when I pulled it out to use, nothing missing on it and no signs of distress so I thought it just passed away naturally. This morning there was a decapitated bird in our birdbath, so I hope that this pigeon didn't meet a similar fate thanks to some cat! I don't see any signs of blood or feathers where it used to go but who knows.

Ugh......:sigh: