Now the other one!...Two cats sick!

RD2TUX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some of you saw me posting about my 13.5 yo who was vomiting and then severely constipated. Trips to the ER, side effects from medications... Now home but has an ultrasound scheduled. Blood work showed maybe infection - elevated white count - maybe bowel disease or even cancer.
He is still not acting normal. Did not throw up for three days but only eating baby food and boiled chicken. Threw up once today.

Well now his brother just threw up a lot! I've been giving him bits of baby food (in addition to his regular food) - just because he's been jealous. Separate dishes but of course they lick each other and spend much time together.

So we think a weird virus?

They are indoor kitties but spend a lot of time on a screened porch. I can't imagine though where they would get an infection. Prior to this they've had the same diet for years.

What is this?

Donny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like sth like rotavirus. What your vet says? As I know, when recovering from some gastric upset, cats can withhold food for some period of time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be many things and I am not a vet but because of a recent issue with a cat here I just have to ask if the cats have already been treated for parasites? It only takes ingesting one flea. Fecal tests sometimes miss seeing the parasites but that can be one cause of similar issues. Whatever it is, I hope it is just something that passes or is easily treated. Please do keep us updated here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RD2TUX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be many things and I am not a vet but because of a recent issue with a cat here I just have to ask if the cats have already been treated for parasites? It only takes ingesting one flea. Fecal tests sometimes miss seeing the parasites but that can be one cause of similar issues. Whatever it is, I hope it is just something that passes or is easily treated. Please do keep us updated here.
They did an on site fecal analysis but did not send it away. I asked about parasites and vet said she "wasn't concerned since they were indoor." But my cats have a screened porch. We have had fleas before this way. Two years ago one of them had a major skin reaction from what was likely a single flea bite. They were treated then and both have been on advantage.

Should I request a full fecal analysis and re treatment for parasites?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were my kitties, yes! Treatment if the vet feels they are well enough for that. I don’t know what your vet knows and I don’t know what other things could be likely. Perhaps he vet has some idea? Ask lots of questions.
My cats are ALL indoor only and a single flea can hitch a ride on you or come through screen. Yes, a cat here has tapeworm! My cats have NO exposure to outside. I did not see the worm and testing did not catch it because it had somehow made it into her abdomen. Understand that this is an extremely unusual case, However, fecal tests before had not detected it either. I would want results of fecal tests and IF possible, treatment if it were any of my cats. Fecal tests for mine are always part of a routine wellness check. Your kitties could have any number of issues causing these symptoms and it may just be viral or something they ate. Check food expiration dates and since your kitty is sensitive to flea bites, maybe an ingredient in food or litter is something to explore. I am not a vet but parasites have made my kitty exhibit vomiting, constipation and she did not want to eat. I am now giving updated tapeworm treatments to all the kitties here since eggs could be transmitted and a flea can transmit. Hoping your kitties are just having sensitive tummies and it passes quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RD2TUX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it were my kitties, yes! Treatment if the vet feels they are well enough for that. I don’t know what your vet knows and I don’t know what other things could be likely. Perhaps he vet has some idea? Ask lots of questions.
My cats are ALL indoor only and a single flea can hitch a ride on you or come through screen. Yes, a cat here has tapeworm! My cats have NO exposure to outside. I did not see the worm and testing did not catch it because it had somehow made it into her abdomen. Understand that this is an extremely unusual case, However, fecal tests before had not detected it either. I would want results of fecal tests and IF possible, treatment if it were any of my cats. Fecal tests for mine are always part of a routine wellness check. Your kitties could have any number of issues causing these symptoms and it may just be viral or something they ate. Check food expiration dates and since your kitty is sensitive to flea bites, maybe an ingredient in food or litter is something to explore. I am not a vet but parasites have made my kitty exhibit vomiting, constipation and she did not want to eat. I am now giving updated tapeworm treatments to all the kitties here since eggs could be transmitted and a flea can transmit. Hoping your kitties are just having sensitive tummies and it passes quickly.
Thank you!!! Have a full consultation period with the vet tomorrow and will be addressing all these things. I want to do the full fecal testing and explore these issues, prior to the U/S scheduled for Friday for my first sick kitty. His brother does not seem as bad at this point but I am concerned this whole thing will keep unraveling. Thanks so much for your thoughtful and informative reply!