November 2022 Book of the Month Club ---- The Girls in the Stilt House

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : notes are a good idea, when you read the book early in the month

V verna davies : 2 pages of notes! Impressive!

gilmargl gilmargl : sorry you've not been able to find the book. Maybe a cheap copy will find its way to you. If not, see you in December.

misty8723 misty8723 : good luck finding the book

My library loan for the book came up last week, and I had 3 days to borrow it, which I didn't do, so now it's gone back on hold for me. Currently says a 2 week wait, however, I think it is still on Hoopla, so I can always get it there if the library is too slow.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 : good luck finding the book

My library loan for the book came up last week, and I had 3 days to borrow it, which I didn't do, so now it's gone back on hold for me. Currently says a 2 week wait, however, I think it is still on Hoopla, so I can always get it there if the library is too slow.
All they have is audio version, so I'll have to pass. I want to read a book, not listen to it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All they have is audio version, so I'll have to pass. I want to read a book, not listen to it.
Oh, that's too bad, misty8723 misty8723 . At least you'll be able to join us in December, as we'll be reading Christmas short stories, which are all available free online. The thread with the short story titles, and links, will be posted probably tomorrow. So stay tuned. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, small change of plans. I'm going to read "God Emperor of Dune," and then read "The Girls in the Stilt House. Yes, there's a reason for this. "God Emperor" falls directly after the happenings in "Winds" and "Children of Dune," then the next book, "Chapterhouse: Dune" takes place a few hundred years in the future. It just makes sense to me to finish the "present," then take a break. Given how fast I read, however, I doubt that I'll have any trouble getting to and through "Girls."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Change of plans for me too, as my library loan for the book came up again today. So I better borrow and read it now, or next time I might really have a long wait.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, this is why I'm rereading the Dune books in chronological order! I had forgotten the "God Emperor" takes up FOUR THOUSAND YEARS after "Children of Dune." Oh, well...the next book starts a whole different cycle, with the Atredies gone, so I'm still OK with waiting until Saturday or Sunday to start this month's read!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Change of reading plans again, as I've borrowed and started reading Matthew Perry's memoir. It seems to be a pretty fast read, so once I finish it I will start The Girls in the Stilt House, as e-book is borrowed, and library loan time is ticking.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
V verna davies , it depends on the book, and how much time I'm putting into reading. My phone is down right now, so I'm not playing any games on there, and have FAR more reading time than usual. However, I can read as many as 6 books a week, averaging 250-375 pages per book. Books that are over 400 pages, 2-3 a week, depending on how engrossing I find the story, and how simpatico I am to the author's prose style. A typical Diana Gabaldon (600-700 pages) will take about 3 days. And I retain at about 85-90%

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOOD GRIEF, I GULPED IT DOWN IN ONE SITTING!
Wow! Guess that means it's a good book. :)

I'm halfway through Matthew Perry's memoir of his depressing drug addicted life. Years, and millions of dollars, lost in a endless cycle of addiction and rehab. Hopefully he'll be able to stay clean now, but sadly I have my doubts.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read a few more chapters last night. It's really good, and I totally see how Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 gulped it down in one sitting. I, on the other hand, am trying to read it slowly, so it doesn't end too quickly.

Anyone else start it yet?