Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a reminder that we're reading Christmas Short Stories in December.
There's 4 different ones, but you only need to read one to participate.
December 2022 Book of the Month Club - Christmas Short Stories 🎄

nurseangel nurseangel : Glad you're still finding time to read. Do come back and post your review when you're done.

Lari Lari : Did you ever get a chance to start reading it?
I literally finished earlier today! And finally catching up on this thread because I wanted to avoid spoilers.

I agree with what most everyone else said about the book. I really enjoyed it overall. Matilda's section started out slow, but I think it was because she had come across as so mysterious in Ada's section that I wanted to know what the mystery behind her was so it was like "hurry up!" Gertie was amazing.

I feel like both girls had good growth arcs. Ada really learned how to be more independent and do things herself. Frank was so creepy and I wasn't sure if she was actually leading him to the body, but bringing him to the bear trap her father had left that was offhandedly mentioned at the beginning of the book was perfect, and it was almost poetic justice that each girl took out the other's tormentor. And it was nice to see Matilda open up and become more vulnerable, trusting Mr Lewis once she was in Jackson and daring to send her writing to the newspaper.

I thought the ending was perfect. I had no idea where the book was going to end up by the third section, and I think this was a realistic ending for the based on the time they were living in.

My e-book had a Q&A with the author in the back and it mentioned she grew up in a place like the Trace, which explains how the setting felt so alive.

I know I'm late, but there's my thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lari Lari . Glad you enjoyed the book. I agree, Gertie was amazing, so capable and kind. Both girls changed and grew because of the life they were forced to lead and they helped each other, Ada to be independent and Matilda to trust.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lari Lari : I was pleasantly surprised to see your review, as I wasn't even sure if you'd started it. Also happy that you were able to find time to read it, and that you enjoyed it. Seems as though we all pretty much had the same feeling about it, and the characters.