November 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Down to about 150 pages left in the biography I'm reading, and some of those pages are probably pictures. So I should be starting Sharp Objects by either tomorrow or Sunday.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've changed my mind! I noticed the book was available for free (as PDF) and started reading. Because the file is so small and the text read more like a shortened/condensed version of a novel rather than a full-length book, I took a look at the original e-book on the Internet, where you could at least read the first few chapters. The PDF version is the full story.

The style is shorthand; no extra words, no long descriptions. Although self-harming, drinking, factory farming are themes running throughout the book I have not yet found any long, gory descriptions. But, I have skipped over a few half pages!

I don't think I'll have problems finishing it, although reading on a laptop is not ideal. I'm on Chapter 12. 💻

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also glad you decided to read it, gilmargl gilmargl . I haven't started yet - the book I'm reading keeps on going and going. LOL. But still lots of time.

Not sure what I'm going to think about the factory farming. Will likely be skipping over those parts.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished the book I was reading last night, and downloaded the library e-book to my e-reader this morning. So should be starting Sharp Objects later today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How's everyone doing with Sharp Objects? I'm reading a bit every day, and am up to chapter 6 now.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did you think?
Not sure whether I should say too much at the moment. Considering the subject matter, it really didn't have much affect on me! Perhaps, just too much of a bad thing. But definitely a page turner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't read the spoilers, as I'm only up to Chapter 9. But I will come back and comment on them, once I'm done.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished chapter 12 last night, and am still not sure what to think of the book. Definitely dysfunctional characters. I guess, maybe, people like that actually exist, but thankfully no one I know has that many issues.

Still trying to guess whodunnit.

My first suspect was Adora, after we learned about Camille seeing her bite the baby. But that seems too obvious, so probably a red herring. I don't think it's John, because I think the kid that says he saw a woman take Natalie was telling the truth. Or maybe not. LOL. Sticking to female suspects, I wonder about Meredith. She has motive - bitten ear lobe - and is also vehemently defending John, perhaps to take suspicion away from both of them. I hope it doesn't turn out to be one of the many different women who've popped up in the story, because I've found most of them to be forgettable.

I've still got 5 chapters and the epilogue to read, so maybe I'll pace myself and read one a day, so that I finish closer to the start of discussion time. Unless it suddenly becomes a page turner, and I end up staying up all night to finish it.

Anyone else make progress reading it over the weekend?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else make progress reading it over the weekend?
I started reading it yesterday and about two chapters into it, I could tell it wasn't my type of book. But I was willing to give it more of a chance, so I continued and finished chapter 5 today. I've decided to quit the book altogether. I really didn't like the characters or the plot. Plus it's a little disturbing and that's not something I feel like reading right now. I'm sorry. :sigh: I feel like this is the second or third book I've tried reading for the book of the month that I've chosen to quit.
I hope everyone enjoys it though! Happy reading!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
L lola : we've always known every book wouldn't appeal to every member, but it seems we're doing really well picking ones that aren't your type of books. ;) At least by reading a few chapters of Sharp Objects, you'll have something to add to the discussion. And hopefully you'll find at least one of the December short stories enjoyable. 🎄

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started reading it yesterday and about two chapters into it, I could tell it wasn't my type of book. But I was willing to give it more of a chance, so I continued and finished chapter 5 today. I've decided to quit the book altogether. I really didn't like the characters or the plot. Plus it's a little disturbing and that's not something I feel like reading right now. I'm sorry. :sigh: I feel like this is the second or third book I've tried reading for the book of the month that I've chosen to quit.
I hope everyone enjoys it though! Happy reading!
Although I finished it. I didn't enjoy this book - but it was, in my opinion, so perverse and badly written/composed, that I couldn't take it seriously for very long. Too much horror, abuse, and only shallow characters and it all just washes over me. I will never read anything from this author again, "Gone Girl" was strange enough! I am fairly certain there is nothing about "Sharp Objects" that will stay in my memory, except a general bad feeling. But, unfortunately, I will remember the cat being killed in one of Nicci French's psychothrillers and the dog drowning in "The End of Loneliness" probably till the end of my intelligent life. These were both individual, sad occurences but in positive, human environments, where they enhanced the contrast between good and bad experiences, and underlined the macabre character of the villain and the very human feelings of a young boy, respectively. Not easy to forget!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished Sharp Objects last night. I don't think I've ever read a book with so many dysfunctional characters. I especially find it difficult when I can't relate to the protagonist, or really any character. I didn't find it to be a page turner, but it didn't drag either, and thankfully though most everything that occurred was disturbing, it wasn't graphically described, so didn't leave horrible images stuck in my head. Can't imagine, though, how they dealt with some of the scenes in the tv mini series, and have no desire to check it out.

Lots of other thoughts, which hopefully I'll still remember when the actual discussion begins.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1637584468810.png

I'll be back later to post my thoughts on the book, but
if anyone is ready now, feel free to post your review.