November 2020 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was I the only totally shocked at the end to find that Kya was the killer? A wonderful twist I thought ❤
I was surprised, and then again, I wasn't. She'd already seen what her mom and siblings had to do to escape a violent male. But unlike them, she would never leave her marsh, so the only way to stop Chase, would be to do as she'd seen female insects do, and lure him, likely with a "mating call", and kill him.

However, I still had my doubts that she was the killer. Especially, when she refused to go with a lesser plea, as her lawyer suggested. And there were, I guess red herrings, that either Tate, or Jumpin', had gotten rid of Chase to protect Kya. So, yes, a good twist.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with rubysmama rubysmama in that I'm still not sure who actually killed Tate. Nor do I overly much care. At some point, you have to accept "He just needed killin', Your Honor" as an extenuating circumstance. Not often, but occasionally. Because I live in coastal North Carolina, I know those marshes. Not well, and mostly at a distance, but I do know them. They are deeply mysterious, and people like that still live in them. They are a dying breed, but they are there.

While I enjoyed the story immensely, and the characters were so well drawn, and I quite fell in love with Sunday Justice (like finding an extra cherry in your chocolate covered cherry!), what struck me the most was the almost-lyrical prose. In this way, I was reminded of Anne River Siddons, Maeve Binchy, and Dorothea Benton Frank. ALL of their books just make me sink into them, like a warm bubble bath. I almost felt as if the book was hugging me.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
However, I still had my doubts that she was the killer. Especially, when she refused to go with a lesser plea, as her lawyer suggested. And there were, I guess red herrings, that either Tate, or Jumpin', had gotten rid of Chase to protect Kya. So, yes, a good twist.
I had not thought of that!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having little or no knowledge of the geography of that part of the world, the description of the swamps and marshes and the way people lived there made me think the story was set in the early 1900's and every time the I read the date was a surprise. That fact that there are some people still living under those conditions as you said Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is quite a shock. Are they still looked down upon as Kya was?

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I read about 50% of the book but had to listen to the other half on kindle audiobook - the narration drove me mad because the woman who read it only had like 3 voices and only 1 for the Tate and Chase so it was kind of confusing to me I'd get the two names mixed up and then they had the same voice, I also kept mixing up the lawyers because of this too! I hope I don't count as a cheater for listening, I've been super busy, but I am so glad this was recommended for the month, it was a really good change of pace.
One of the things I wanted to mention was the overwhelmingly "lonely" feeling I got because of Kya's living situation. The writing provided such good emotional imagery, it reminded me of reading The Giver back in the day and how in my head I could actually see everything in black in white. So Crawdads made me feel super lonely, but that's ok because I like books/movies/shows that illicit strong emotions.

One thing I thought about, was it right that Tate never came back to break it off? I'm super on the fence about that. Because it was wrong to never come back and leave her hanging for so many years, no closure. But did this keep the relationship alive in some manner? Because if he came back to break up with her, it would be official. Done. The writer wanted us to feel they were meant for one another. I still can't decide if what he did/didn't do was right or wrong.

Also, did Kya have a good life? She managed and was happy in her own way at times, but I feel like 90% of the time she was so lonely. People were mean to her as a child and that breaks my heart so much. I guess on paper she had a good life - she ended up with the person she loved, she was successful in a career against all the odds of having just 1 day of formal education, owned 300+acres of land...but she died young-ish and she died with a terrible weight on her heart.

I was surprised, and then again, I wasn't. She'd already seen what her mom and siblings had to do to escape a violent male. But unlike them, she would never leave her marsh, so the only way to stop Chase, would be to do as she'd seen female insects do, and lure him, likely with a "mating call", and kill him.

And same here - I was surprised but not surprised. The reason I can say I wasn't surprised is because the defense attorney never brought up any other potential suspect, they always do that to throw the jury off, not even a jealous wife or an embarrassed mother route was taken. I actually kind of thought they would never reveal who the murderer was, they couldn't have ended the book with "Surprise, it was Chase's father! Ok Bye, The End!!!" That was a really good point you made rubysmama rubysmama with the insect mating call to kill, I never thought about that, very perceptive!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 What did you think about the author specifically mentioning the 2 Ohio tourists in the end? One of my friends from Ohio told me they invented vacation in NC/SC because Florida is too far of a drive, I just thought it was kind of funny that the author threw that in there...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope I don't count as a cheater for listening, I've been super busy,
I'm a visual person myself, so need to see the printed word, but listening to a book is absolutely not cheating.

One of the things I wanted to mention was the overwhelmingly "lonely" feeling I got because of Kya's living situation.
Yes, poor Kya. Way back in the beginning of this thread I posted how I wanted to give her a hug.

One thing I thought about, was it right that Tate never came back to break it off? I'm super on the fence about that. Because it was wrong to never come back and leave her hanging for so many years, no closure. But did this keep the relationship alive in some manner? Because if he came back to break up with her, it would be official. Done. The writer wanted us to feel they were meant for one another. I still can't decide if what he did/didn't do was right or wrong.
That's an interesting way of looking at it, that I never considered. But I still think it was mean of him to just leave her waiting and wondering.

Also, did Kya have a good life? She managed and was happy in her own way at times, but I feel like 90% of the time she was so lonely. People were mean to her as a child and that breaks my heart so much. I guess on paper she had a good life - she ended up with the person she loved, she was successful in a career against all the odds of having just 1 day of formal education, owned 300+acres of land...but she died young-ish and she died with a terrible weight on her heart.
Did she have a good life? I don't know. I guess she had the best life she could, with the hand she was dealt. She was a survivor, for sure.

On a different topic, I've wondered about Chase and his motives for being around Kya.

At first, it was clearly to win the bet of the first guy to "be with" the marsh girl. But he was patient with her, and waited till she was more or less ready. Then he kept seeing her, and talked of a future together, while all the time seeing other girls, and eventually getting engaged. But even after he was married, he kept wearing the necklace she gave him. And then later he violently tried to force her to be with him. Did he have any feeling for her at all? Or was he just a horrible, rotten creep who really had no respect for any woman.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they still looked down upon as Kya was?
Not so much, and are not nearly so isolated as they were then. For instance, Kya would never have been left alone for so long. But they are there, and VERY rugged individualists.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 What did you think about the author specifically mentioning the 2 Ohio tourists in the end? One of my friends from Ohio told me they invented vacation in NC/SC because Florida is too far of a drive, I just thought it was kind of funny that the author threw that in there...
North Carolina has a very healthy tourist industry. We have some gorgeous vacation spots, although the beaches can't compare with the Northwest Gulf Coast, where I grew up.

Panama CIty Beach, Florida
1606441932145.png

Yes, those colors are real.

Outer Banks Beaches
1606442257722.png

As to why NC rather than FL...could be the distance. You'd get two extra days of vacation coming here. One day saved on the way down, one on the way back. Maybe it was simply that the author knows someone in Ohio who vacations in NC. That would be my guess, anyway.

At first, it was clearly to win the bet of the first guy to "be with" the marsh girl. But he was patient with her, and waited till she was more or less ready. Then he kept seeing her, and talked of a future together, while all the time seeing other girls, and eventually getting engaged. But even after he was married, he kept wearing the necklace she gave him. And then later he violently tried to force her to be with him. Did he have any feeling for her at all? Or was he just a horrible, rotten creep who really had no respect for any woman.
My first thought about Chase, once I had gotten far enough to really have a sense of him, is that he's a classic narcissist. He considered her a project, then his property. Narcissist say "my wife" the way they say "my car," with the exact same sense of ownership. The fact that they were not legally married would not change that attitude. How DARE she refuse him, when she BELONGS TO HIM??? It would be entirely within his character, if I read it right. Narcissists can be very patient when stalking their next supply.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish we had beaches like that here in England, I’d be there every wkend 😊❤
I love visiting, but I wouldn't want to live on a beach ever again. That top photo is what I used to see every day when I looked out my bedroom window. Gorgeous, but you get tired of sleeping in sand, chewing on sand at every meal, shaking sand out of your clothes, standing/sitting on sand when you're bathing...it wears on a body. And forget those "romantic video clips of a couple rapturously rolling together as the waves lap over them. That will deposit sand in places sand was never meant to go!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tomorrow's December 1st, so that means we'll be moving on to "A Christmas Carol" our December book of the month. Because December can be busy, we chose a novella, and will have a shorter reading time, and shorter discussion time. More details can be found in the December 2020 book of the month club thread. As always, everyone is invited to join us.

Even though we're moving onto to the next book, this thread will remain open, so there's no reason to not to post if something comes to mind.

We've already chosen a book for January, which will be announced in the upcoming days.

We're also discussing books for future months, and were wondering how many of you would pay for a book, use e-readers etc. So if you have time to answer a few questions, it would be helpful.

1. Do you read regular books, e-books, or both?
2. Do you buy books full price, buy used copies, or borrow from the library?
3. If you buy books, is there a limit to how much you'll spend, or does it depend on the book?
4. What genre of books do you like to read?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1..I read both.
2.. Mostly borrow from library but if unable to and I really want to read a particular book I don't mind buying used or full price if I have to.
3..I wouldn't buy a hard copy, far too expensive. I would rather wait for a paperback.
4.. Mostly psychological thrillers but have been enjoying a variety lately thanks to the book club

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both

Living in a small town in Germany, there is little choice for English language books at the local library.
I try to buy used copies but don't mind paying full price for certain books

3. If you buy books, is there a limit to how much you'll spend, or does it depend on the book?
There's no limit - but I won't go mad - particularly if I'm not sure it's my type of book

I'm very fussy! The older I get, the fewer the number of books I really enjoy. Elena Ferrante's "The Neapolitan Novels" were the last books I read not ever wanting to reach the end.

Last edited:

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read both.
I normally get books from the library.
I try not to spend too much money so I do have a limit.
Fantasy, historical fiction, and science fiction, but I'm open to most genres.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
1..I read both.
2.. Mostly borrow from library but if unable to and I really want to read a particular book I don't mind buying used or full price if I have to.
3..I wouldn't buy a hard copy, far too expensive. I would rather wait for a paperback.
4.. Mostly psychological thrillers but have been enjoying a variety lately thanks to the book club
:yeah:

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love visiting, but I wouldn't want to live on a beach ever again. That top photo is what I used to see every day when I looked out my bedroom window. Gorgeous, but you get tired of sleeping in sand, chewing on sand at every meal, shaking sand out of your clothes, standing/sitting on sand when you're bathing...it wears on a body. And forget those "romantic video clips of a couple rapturously rolling together as the waves lap over them. That will deposit sand in places sand was never meant to go!
Haha this made me laugh. I lived in Spain for a while and when I returned to England I said exactly the same thing 😬

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow's December 1st, so that means we'll be moving on to "A Christmas Carol" our December book of the month. Because December can be busy, we chose a novella, and will have a shorter reading time, and shorter discussion time. More details can be found in the December 2020 book of the month club thread. As always, everyone is invited to join us.

Even though we're moving onto to the next book, this thread will remain open, so there's no reason to not to post if something comes to mind.

We've already chosen a book for January, which will be announced in the upcoming days.

We're also discussing books for future months, and were wondering how many of you would pay for a book, use e-readers etc. So if you have time to answer a few questions, it would be helpful.

1) regular books
2) new or used books off ebay
3) depends on book but rarely over £12
4) thriller, murder mystery, autobiographies or supernatural