November 2020 book of the month club

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are in good, and LOTS OF GOOD, company here! Lord, I cry on Christmas Eve about all the trees that were cut, and never got a chance to have their moment of glory, all decorated with children look on in awe.
The older I get the more emotional I become! I cry at the posts on here where people have lost their cats and snuggle Grayson and cover him in my tears 😭 Glad it’s not just me ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not going to finish the book. I'm sorry. I got to a very intimate scene that was too graphic for my taste. Again, I'm sorry.
No worries, Lola3791 Lola3791 . We all have types of scenes in books that make us instantly stop reading. One for me, is harm to animals, though thanks to a warning, I was able to skip over that type of scene in the Oct book of the month, so I was able to keep reading.

Once we start the discussion, I hope you'll join in and share any additional thoughts on the book, up to the point you stopped reading..

I must admit I could definitely have lived without some of the details! It was the wildlife and setting that I enjoyed the most 😊
The intimate details probably could have been implied, but over the years I've read books that were much more explicit, so they didn't bother me. The descriptions of the wildlife and setting were wonderful, though. I hope when they make the movie, that aspect won't be lessened in favour of the relationships.

The older I get the more emotional I become! I cry at the posts on here where people have lost their cats and snuggle Grayson and cover him in my tears 😭 Glad it’s not just me ❤
I've done that same, and gone and given Ruby a hug, after I've read a sad post about someone's cat. And I just cannot read the CTB forum, as it breaks my heart. I'm so in awe of the wonderful members who post their love and support to grieving cat parents.

Last edited:

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, Lola3791 Lola3791 . We all have types of scenes in books that make us instantly stop reading. One for me, is harm to animals, though thanks to a warning, I was able to skip over that type of scene in the Oct book of the month, so I was able to keep reading.

Once we start the discussion, I hope you'll join in and share any additional thoughts on the book, up to the point you stopped reading..
Thank you for understanding! I definitely will share my other thoughts when discussion starts.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just finished reading it. And loved it. I can totally see why Reese Witherspoon was inspired to want to make it into a movie. I hope the screenplay doesn't stray too far from the book though.

Back to the book, can't wait for the discussion time here, to see what everyone else thought, and to share my own review.

And Lola3791 Lola3791 , now that I'm finished reading it, just wanted to say if you were enjoying the story at all, and could be comfortable skipping over the intimate scenes, I think it would be worth it. But I do respect your choice to stop reading, so no pressure. 🤗

So, how's everyone else doing?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And Lola3791 Lola3791 , now that I'm finished reading it, just wanted to say if you were enjoying the story at all, and could be comfortable skipping over the intimate scenes, I think it would be worth it. But I do respect your choice to stop reading, so no pressure. 🤗
I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd want to keep reading. I'm sure it's a good book, but I wasn't enjoying it much anyway.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd want to keep reading. I'm sure it's a good book, but I wasn't enjoying it much anyway.
If you weren't enjoying it, then absolutely no reason to continue. This isn't school, so no required reading. ;) .
Thanks for giving it a try though, and hopefully another month's book will be more to your taste.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading reader reviews on various sites, and everyone seems to be either wildly in love with it, or to loathe it. There isn't much inbetween. I'm in the former camp. Although the first couple of chapters, I kept thinking, "OH NO! If this shapes up the way it seems to be, I'm gonna hate this book." It did not.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW...one of the things that I love about our book club is that I'm reading genres that I generally would not read. It's good for me. I tend to sink down into my cozy mysteries, or my cat books (LOVE the Alfie, the Doorstep Cat books, and the Bob books, and the PawTracks books) and shut most everything else out. This has started me exploring more, and that's a good thing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading reader reviews on various sites, and everyone seems to be either wildly in love with it, or to loathe it. There isn't much inbetween. I'm in the former camp.
When I finished the book, I also checked out reviews on Goodreads, and found the same thing. I also read some of the questions people asked, and agreed with some of the answers. The book wasn't perfect, but what book is. Still looking forward to when we start our discussion. I think it will be a good one.

BTW...one of the things that I love about our book club is that I'm reading genres that I generally would not read. It's good for me.
I'm happy to read that. :)

I think that's the fun thing about book clubs, people are "forced" to read books they might not have read otherwise, and sometimes discover new authors that they want to read more from. And, of course, the reverse can happen, and you discover an author you never want to read again. :lol:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love getting into genres and things/authors I haven't read before too. I'd never read much non-fiction till I read "Dead Wake."

I've been in a book swapping group for several years where 10-12 of us meet every few months and bring 2 or 3 or 4 books we've read to exchange. Then everyone gives a summary of each book and we draw names for the order for people to pick what book they want to take, and keep going till everyone has all the books they want or there are no books left. Any leftovers get donated to a homeless shelter or group that needs books.
And we have a pot luck brunch so it's wonderful all around!

Of course we haven't met since covid restrictions started, but will when they lift!

Last edited:

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been reading reader reviews on various sites, and everyone seems to be either wildly in love with it, or to loathe it. There isn't much inbetween. I'm in the former camp. Although the first couple of chapters, I kept thinking, "OH NO! If this shapes up the way it seems to be, I'm gonna hate this book." It did not.
I was exactly the same and so glad I stuck it out ❤❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW...one of the things that I love about our book club is that I'm reading genres that I generally would not read. It's good for me. I tend to sink down into my cozy mysteries, or my cat books (LOVE the Alfie, the Doorstep Cat books, and the Bob books, and the PawTracks books) and shut most everything else out. This has started me exploring more, and that's a good thing.
Agree again - I’m a murder mystery kind of girl and wouldn’t have picked this book in a million years!

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I finished the book, I also checked out reviews on Goodreads, and found the same thing. I also read some of the questions people asked, and agreed with some of the answers. The book wasn't perfect, but what book is. Still looking forward to when we start our discussion. I think it will be a good one.

I'm happy to read that. :)

I think that's the fun thing about book clubs, people are "forced" to read books they might not have read otherwise, and sometimes discover new authors that they want to read more from. And, of course, the reverse can happen, and you discover an author you never want to read again. :lol:
I’m so happy to be in a book club again - thanks everyone ❤❤

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love getting into genres and things/authors I haven't read before too. I'd never read much non-fiction till I read "Dead Wake."

I've been in a book swapping group for several years where 10-12 of us meet every few months and bring 2 or 3 or 4 books we've read to exchange. Then everyone gives a summary of each book and we draw names for the order for people to pick what book they want to take, and keep going till everyone has all the books they want or there are no books left. Any leftovers get donated to a homeless shelter or group that needs books.

Of course we haven't met since covid restrictions started, but will when they lift!
I love finding new authors too then find I have to read all of their books! ❤

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds like so much fun. And you're lucky to have so many people who still buy actual books. Ever since I got my e-reader in 2014, I haven't read anything but e-books, and most of them borrowed from the library.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like so much fun. And you're lucky to have so many people who still buy actual books. Ever since I got my e-reader in 2014, I haven't read anything but e-books, and most of them borrowed from the library.
Yeah sometimes people don't come if they only have been reading e-books. I stick to mostly physical books because it feels so good to hold a book in my bed under the covers haha. Or under a blanket on the couch with a cat or two sitting on me!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love finding new authors too then find I have to read all of their books! ❤
Oh, I'm like that, too. And I'm a binge reader. I'll collect an entire series of books, then read them all one after another! I have to buy one or two new books in several series, and will probably re-read each one before I do the new ones. I just love immersing myself in an author's world for a good long while, and let characters and places unfold organically.

Yeah sometimes people don't come if they only have been reading e-books. I stick to mostly physical books because it feels so good to hold a book in my bed under the covers haha. Or under a blanket on the couch with a cat or two sitting on me!
I'm with you. I have a Kindle, and have read several books on it, with more waiting, but...there's something about the heft and weight of a print book, the turning of the page...and when I read a really good part, sometimes I hug the book. Kindles just don't feel the same!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you. I have a Kindle, and have read several books on it, with more waiting, but...there's something about the heft and weight of a print book, the turning of the page...and when I read a really good part, sometimes I hug the book. Kindles just don't feel the same!
And if I want to refresh my memory about a previous part (with my over 65 year old memory) it's so much easier with a book than a kindle!