Novel protein options, canned, for a kitten with (possible) IBD?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I have a cat whose intestines are fairly irritated, and we're currently working with the assumption of a food allergy. His issue started after he began eating more dry food (was on N&D Kitten first - both with and without grains - along with RC Kitten, wet, which was slowly removed from his diet). He's been eating Pro Plan Hydrolized kibble for 20 days, and I'll likely keep him on it for a while longer.

I've been researching what the next food trial should be, and I'm keen on novel protein. I've also been advised here on the forums to try wet food next, and, from what I've been reading, it does sound like a good idea. Specially because it seems like he didn't have as many issues back when he ate mostly RC Kitten. The problem is... I don't see any novel protein for kittens, specifically. I know his hydrolized kibble isn't meant for kittens either, and the vet told me it wouldn't be an issue. Has anyone given canned novel protein for their kittens?

I'm currently in Brazil, but will be traveling back with my kitten to France halfway through July (it's where I actually live, I've been with my family for a few months), so I'm also conscious of looking for food that I will find both here and there. Or just there, if the vet tells me I need to wait until August to try something else. I hear a lot of things about N&D and they seem to have a few different type of proteins - some of which are canned, too. Do you have any suggestions?

I'd love some recommendations about adding probiotics to his diet, too, and which types/brands I could look for. I really only know Fortiflora.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probiotics need to be combined with prebiotics to truly function. The key is to start really slowly, similar as this one; Pet Naturals of Vermont Daily probiotic with prebiotic; "This chew contains 100 million colony forming units (CFU) of a single strain of gut bacteria"

Has anyone given canned novel protein for their kittens?
I'm assuming this wouldn't be different than people who feed their kitten raw or homecooked, so if your vet agrees you should be fine.

and, to quote from another member :)
Novel Protein: a meat source which he has never had before---like rabbit, venison, quail, duck..
GemsGem GemsGem may possibly have some ideas for you regarding brands to look for, since many of the rest of us are stateside.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's a witch She's a witch may also have some European suggestions for probiotics and food.

V verna davies would know of UK brands which you may be able to buy from ZooPlus or other European web site.

You can feed a food that is labeled as "for all life stages" to a kitten. FWIW, I never fed my cats kitten specific food and they grew up just fine. No stunted growth or nutritional issues or anything.

Human probiotics can be used instead of pet ones. They undergo more stringent quality control and testing than pet ones. I think there's some suggested European brands here: Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis Human probiotics typically come in a capsule. You pull the capsule apart and sprinke fhe contents directly into canned food or a moist treat. If you're not giving the whole capsule (typical suggested dose is 1/4 to 1/2 capsule up to twice a day), carefully slide the capsule halves back together to save the remainder for next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks LTS3 LTS3 and Furballsmom Furballsmom !

I'm having a look at the list, I'm sure it will be helpful. I'm also looking into AnimalBiome's "poop pill" 😆

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S boulardii is a pre and probiotic that might suit your cat.

As mentioned by LTS3 LTS3 Zooplus are your best bet for a novel protein, they have a wide selection of foods. There is a new company that is getting mentioned a lot recently in the UK, Katkin. It might be worth looking at them.