Notre Dame Cathedral

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be posting this without the permission of the author. Please note that, while I'm including her copyright notice, the reason she gave me permission to post it here is that she hopes someone here can send it to someone in France, who may be comforted by it.

Margret
Those lyrics made me cry.....they are so beautiful.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the burning of candles and incense could possibly cause a sprinkler to go off if it isn't done right but that would be better then what has happened here.
So they'll do it right.

Those lyrics made me cry.....they are so beautiful.
Yeah, me too. Thank you.

I'll pass your comment on to Lee. She was concerned that her song wouldn't be appropriate for TCS because there are no cats in it.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wikipedia article on the fire is quite informative. All three rose windows survived, though one had some damage to the leading and will have to be removed (temporarily) in order to protect it. Some of the bells survived, though they don't say how many or which ones. The rooster reliquary from the top of the spire was found in the debris....

Margret

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just happened to be sitting down for some lunch that afternoon and switched on the TV...only to see the fire in its earliest stages on CNN....and was aghast. Then I found myself some hours later in utter disbelief and unable to comprehend how it could not have been extinguished........

There is a website that I didn't see mentioned here so far, with a section about the frame of the cathedral. The pictures in there will immediately explain how the seemingly impossible was able to occur. (For any former boy scouts/girl guides who were responsible for campfire preparation, these images explain it all.)

Here it is: The framing | Notre Dame de Paris [CNNstyle has this piece on it: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/nortre-dame-fire-oak-wood-trnd/index.html]

For those of us with even the most basic familiarity with and respect for woodworking, I think those pictures leave us in absolute awe....all was done with the most basic of tools - and crafted to perfection. Two hundred years of labour? I suppose so!

OK...so much for those 'weighty' points........

While I was snooping around, I discovered evidence of some former inhabitants of those hallowed spaces.............;)