Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Notre Dame Cathedral

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by denice, Apr 15, 2019.

1. denice

denice Thread Starter Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Notre Dame Cathedral is burning and firefighters do not think they can save the building. They are going in as long as they can to try to save artwork.

NY cat man, neely, Margret and 1 other person purraised this.

2. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I'm not religious. However, I'm a huge history buff and would-be archivist. This makes me physically ill.

NY cat man, neely, Margret and 2 others purraised this.

3. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Those famous rose stained glass windows are gone. There were also large wooden statues that still had paint from the middle ages on them, I know they are gone. They couldn't be carried out and nothing wooden could possibly have survived.

NY cat man, Margret and catsknowme purraised this.

4. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    I nearly cried when I saw the flames online. What a loss.

NY cat man, Margret and catsknowme purraised this.

5. Lari

Lari TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 18, 2017
    I'm so sad about this. I'm glad I was able to visit Notre Dame when I was a teenager, even though my pictures were pretty terrible back then, but as a francophile this hurts me really deeply.

Mia6, NY cat man, DreamerRose and 2 others purraised this.

6. catsknowme

catsknowme TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 2, 2005
    Eastern California,USA
    :bawling: I am especially sad for the French people at losing such a treasure.

Mia6, PippasMum, NY cat man and 3 others purraised this.

7. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    This is just horrible. It's a global treasure. :frown:

Mia6, NY cat man, Margret and 1 other person purraised this.

8. Margret

Margret TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    :bawling2: The building of Notre Dame was an incredible feat, and so much gorgeous artwork went into it. This is a huge loss for all of humanity. The French must be devastated right now. One didn't have to be a Catholic, or even a Christian, to appreciate its beauty and history, and the love and faith that its builders poured into it.

I just read about the fire in a Rolling Stone story. They don't know for sure yet (possibly we never will), but they suspect the fire was begun by a spark from one of the tools they were using to restore the spire. Sometimes you just can't win - anything you do (or don't do) can be disastrous.

Margret

Mia6, PippasMum, catsknowme and 4 others purraised this.

9. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    A site where you can contribute to the eventual restoration: https://frenchheritagesociety.org/event/notre-dame-fire-restoration-fund/

Remember, the most basic structure is stone, and the cathedral was extremely well documented. Yes, something has been/is being lost that is irreplaceable; what is built in its place won't be the original. What it will be, however, is another work of love and faith, and it will also be a thing of beauty, to be cherished. And I'm sure it will be as close to the original as humanly possible, except a great deal more fireproof.

Margret

Mia6, catsknowme, micknsnicks2mom and 6 others purraised this.

10. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    Flames cause 'colossal damages' to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, Macron says 'we will rebuild'
    Additionally, I've been told that so far the rose window above the altar is intact. (Note: this is hearsay.) Also, many of the statues and other removable pieces of artwork had already been taken out to protect them during the spire restoration, and firefighters did what they could to protect the rest of the building, to give people time to remove more of the artwork. It appears that the destruction isn't as total as it appeared at first glance.

Margret

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

11. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    I hope you're right. :crossfingers:

catsknowme, NY cat man, Mia6 and 1 other person purraised this.

12. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    Yeah, me too. :crossfingers:

Margret

catsknowme and NY cat man purraised this.

13. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The Crown of Thorns is supposed to have been saved. The gold cross over the alter is still there.

catsknowme, Lari, NY cat man and 4 others purraised this.

14. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    A lot was saved, the Crown of Thorns and the robe belonging to Saint Louis (Louis IX) and I believe the rose windows. The side windows showing the 12 stations of the cross are gone. The copper statues on the spire had already been removed (yesterday) for cleaning.

I know now how the French felt when the towers went down. I feel the same way about Notre Dame. It's a global treasure.

catsknowme, Lari, NY cat man and 2 others purraised this.

15. ashekitty

ashekitty TCS Member Adult Cat

Jan 18, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I’m so sad about this. :( I really hope that they saved more than we think.

Mia6, catsknowme, NY cat man and 1 other person purraised this.

16. Margret

Jul 17, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    I suspect that on 9/11 they felt more like how we felt when the offices of Charlie Hebdo were shot up. This is a great tragedy, and we all feel the loss, but no one thinks it was deliberate. There's a qualitative difference between an accident and murder. In some ways it's easier to deal with an act of terrorism; we get angry, the anger has a specific focus, and then we can take it out on someone appropriate, say, Osama Bin Laden. The problem, of course, arises when we decide to take it out on someone who had nothing to do with it, all Muslims for example. With an accidental fire all we can do is mourn what we've lost and rebuild to the best of our ability. There's no good place to direct the anger, so we may turn it inward, which is a bad answer.

I wonder how long it will be until we know for sure how much was saved, and how strong the stones of the Cathedral are now that they've been damaged by fire.

Margret

Mia6, catsknowme, Lari and 2 others purraised this.

17. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    :yeah: This affects not just Parisians, the French, or Catholics, but people all over the world. Thank goodness much could be saved.

It was horrible watching that magnificent edifice burn.

Mia6, Margret, DreamerRose and 4 others purraised this.

18. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Francois-Henri Pinault has pledged $100 million to the restoration. Americans probably know him better as Salma Hayek's husband. The Rockefellers were major donors to the project to repair damage done during WWII.

That spire they were working on wasn't part of the original structure. It was added during the 19th century and was very controversial at the time. A lot of people didn't like it and thought it should not have been added. It didn't hold up over time which is why restoration was needed.

Margret, catsknowme, Lari and 2 others purraised this.

19. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Of all the times this could happen, it occurs during Holy Week. I'm glad no one was injured and the Crown of Thorns was saved.
    What an amazing gesture.

Margret, catsknowme, Lari and 1 other person purraised this.

20. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The Crown of Thorns is supposed to have been one of the things that firefighters went into the building to save. One firefighter was seriously injured but it isn't life threatening.

neely, Margret, catsknowme and 3 others purraised this.