Noticing Frisco Cat Litter Is Way Dustier Than Previously Thought...

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using Frisco multi-cat unscented clumping cat litter for several months now because of its cost effectiveness and relatively low dust formula. It also seems to lock in odors really well. Because we live in an apartment and space is limited, we originally went with 3 hooded litter boxes which are quite large. I decided to add a 4th litter box a month ago because all 4 kitties are getting closer to adulthood and I wanted them to feel like they could spread out more if they wanted. The fourth litter box is a rubber/plastic container and I made a cut-out at the front for an entrance. I left the lid off because it would not be tall enough with the lid on. It is perfect size-wise at 30 inches long and 20 inches wide. The cats LOVE it. It seems to be their favorite now. However, me and my girlfriend are not so sure how we feel about it being an open litter box. It has really opened our eyes to how dusty the litter is. With our hooded litter boxes it seems like most of the dust was contained inside. This still makes me feel bad for the kitties as they have to breathe in that dusty air while using their "restroom". I want to provide an uncovered litter box so each cat can use one that meets their preferences and makes them comfortable. I also want to eliminate most of the dust because, small apartment, and the dust gets literally EVERYWHERE. Are there any truly low or virtually no dust formulas that others have had success with? Low tracking would be nice as well. I would prefer it to be clumping and cost-effective because with 4 cats we have high food and litter costs.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We found Dr. Esley's Ultra - it clumps, to be low dust. There is some, but less than other brands we tried. Our cat was sneezing before we changed. The vet said she was allergic to dust, nothing could be done about that except to vacuum every day. No, just no. Or at least no, until I tried a few things. First thing look for a low dust litter. Tried a light litter - more dust than the others. Then got the Esley and she stopped sneezing.

However, I suggest you keep an eye on it, because it seems to be dustier than when we first switched. He has a respirator relief litter, which we may move to. Yes, kit is sneezing again, but everything is blooming here and the windows leak.

https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-ultra-clumping/dp/32363

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience, I have found Dr. Elsey's to be dustier than Frisco, especially this bag I am using right now. I actually see dust clouds when I scoop with this bag, it's awful. Once this is gone, I was going to go back to Frisco.

I think the real problem is that the quality and dustiness varies from lot to lot, so one bag you get may be super dusty, while the next has virtually none. One bag comes from the first part of the batch of clay (less dust), while the next bag comes from the bottom of the batch (dust settles). Who knows, really.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found Arm & Hammer Cloud Control 19 pound boxes at Target. It was 2/$20 and there was a rebate on it to try it for free which I sent in. I figured that at 2/$10 it was worth trying.

I added it to some of the litter boxes on Wednesday and it really is dust free. As picky as the girls are about food, they are really not picky about litter. They are using the boxes normally. I will say that it has an almost sand like texture. It had no scent to it that I could detect. The only litters that they absolutely refused to use are the pine pellets (they will NOT walk on them and no, they are NOT declawed) and the Tractor Supply Company Paws & Claws (without question the dustiest litter I have ever bought).

ARM & HAMMER™ CLOUD CONTROL™

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet you're right, tangers40 tangers40 ! I hadn't thought of that, but of course it makes a difference whether it's at the start of the factory pour or the end.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They all have dust. They all claim 99% dust free but it's just bs. So far I like the World's Best Cat litter. It's natural and it's less dustier than others. But it is more expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendations guys! What about litter mats? I have a love-hate relationship with them. I have a few of the iPrimio Litter Trappers and they do a pretty good job but I feel like I could craft something better. Any ideas?