Not your typical kitty

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just adopted this kitty 3 months ago. He is 16 months old now. He was 10 months old when rescued from a bad hoarding situation. He was partially feral and found behind a dumpster.

When we got him he had several bad infections and we thought he might have FIV as he was on antibiotics for 6 months! Thankfully he is healthy now and negative.

My question is- due to his poor little early life are there some traits he will never have that almost every cat seems to possess?

He used to eat (not chew but flat out eat) plastic and cardboard. We can't keep it in the house. The second an Amazon box arrives he goes at it like its Thanksgiving dinner. He is slowly getting better but its a daily problem.

He also is not an affection kitty. Unlike most cats he doesn't enjoy chin scritches or face rubs. He doesn't like soft things. He hates my bed and prefers the floor. He has never tried to come lay next to me or on me. Quite opposite- if I want contact interaction I must go to him and sit on the floor next to him to pet him.

This does not mean he is aloof either. He MUST be in whatever room I am in or he meows his face off. He is a curious bold little thing who wants to be near the action and even loves to go outside on leashed hikes.

I hope one day he will be an affection cst who loves to curl up on me and headbutt me. But will it ever happen? Was he ingrained too early that humans do not mean snuggles? Or am I asking too much too soon? Is his constant meowing if I am not in the same room as him a concern about attachment issues despite his lack of typical cat affection?

Attachments

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats have memories exactly like humans. If a kitty experienced bad treatment, she will never completely forget. We do the same.
Human brain can "encapsulate" negative memories (they never disappear, but kept in a latent form). Not sure about cat's brain defence in similar cases.

There are some hypothesis about non-differentiated individual perception: animals cant distinguish clearly between individuals, they distinguish only species or groups. I do not know how true is this idea, which is somehow against daily experience of a cat Lover.

Also, cats have personalities, which means that they can also change over time.

My 4 years old tomcat does not curling on my lap ever. But he loves scratches on the head. He didnt play circles around my legs, until recentely. So, my cat definitely modifies his behavior in time. I do have some suppositions about causes of these modifications, but not very sound. I just took the situation as it is.

In short, I think cats change behavior in time - as they wish :-).

Last edited:

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think three months is a short time, particularly when something negative has been imprinted. My current cat is a feral-come-inside, she came in at the end of December. She hid from me at first and now wants to be with me. But it took months, and I think that was pretty fast in kitty time.

All of my cats have shredded paper and cardboard and 2/3 have gone after plastic. I'm just careful what I leave lying around. Also, cats have different personalities. Some love cuddles or scratches, some just want to be in the vicinity you are in. But they can change. It sounds to me like you're doing really well with this one. Hang in there and give it time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Totally agree with J Joan M . For 3 months' time with you, considering his background, he sounds like he is adapting well! I am sure in time, especially as he ages, you will likely see more affectionate behavior. The very fact that he seems to want to be with you most of the time, to me, is a good sign! He is a cutie, too!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done well with him..even got a harness on him.
Agree totally with the comments above.
At his age play and fun will be the highest on his agenda but as he gets older he will want to cuddle more.
If he likes treats try putting them on your knee, chest or shoulders so he gets used to getting close to you with a reward.
It will make him more comfortable with physical touch that he initiates himself .