Not using litter box

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is going to be a bit of a gross post.

Recently my cat (1yr old) has been going to the bathroom outside of the litter box. Yesterday I found pee on my floor hidden away in a corner, and then looking around more of the house there were spots all with dry urine. Last week she went to the bathroom at the foot of her cat tree, I found out two weeks ago she went to the bathroom inside my friends car when I brought her home from the vet, and now I just woke up to a little brown present on the floor beside my bed.

I have no clue why this is happening. No idea whether she’s having problems keeping it in until she gets to the box or she’s willingly going to the bathroom outside of it. She got spayed a month ago and has recovered completely and I see no other health or behaviour changes besides her eating a little more than usual. She still does use the box but the amount of times she’s relieving herself outside of it is increasing.

Anyone have advice?? I really want to get this to stop:(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I found out two weeks ago she went to the bathroom inside my friends car when I brought her home from the vet,
This was when she was being brought home from the spay? By itself it isn't necessarily anything way out of the ordinary.

However, with all the other pee and now poop issues she's having I would strongly suggest a visit to the vet - she may be having health issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible.

In addition, there are enzymatic cleaners you can use so that the odor is eliminated and she won't be tempted to return to the spots she urinated in previously. There is Nature's Miracle, Fizzion or SCOE10x as examples.

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles

You'll want to pick up a black light as well so that you're sure to find all the spots.
from A ArtNJ
Blacklight is simply a frequency of light. As such a blacklight is not an overly complicated product, and any highly rated one on Amazon should do the trick as well as any other. They will highlight old spots, and not distinguish between different types of biologic accidents from cat vomit to spilled food. They may also continue highlighting cleaned up spots. Nonetheless, if you are prepared to get down on the carpet, press to feel for dampness, and if need be sniff, then blacklights are a good spotting tool. We owned one when we had problems, and it was somewhat useful. However, if the prior owner of your home had pets and the carpet is old...prepare to be horrified. In the human wolrd, there are medical tests that are not used because false positives can cause so much stress and lead to unnecessary medical procedures -- and blacklights are little bit like that. They are cheap and its worth getting one...just don't take it too seriously or you'll be spending thousands ripping up your carpet unnecessarily.

Also, she may need some help with stress;

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

This may also be useful to help her drink more;
How To Choose The Best Water Fountain For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

This was when she was being brought home from the spay? By itself it isn't necessarily anything way out of the ordinary.

However, with all the other pee and now poop issues she's having I would strongly suggest a visit to the vet - she may be having health issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible.

In addition, there are enzymatic cleaners you can use so that the odor is eliminated and she won't be tempted to return to the spots she urinated in previously. There is Nature's Miracle, Fizzion or SCOE10x as examples.

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles

You'll want to pick up a black light as well so that you're sure to find all the spots.
from A ArtNJ
Blacklight is simply a frequency of light. As such a blacklight is not an overly complicated product, and any highly rated one on Amazon should do the trick as well as any other. They will highlight old spots, and not distinguish between different types of biologic accidents from cat vomit to spilled food. They may also continue highlighting cleaned up spots. Nonetheless, if you are prepared to get down on the carpet, press to feel for dampness, and if need be sniff, then blacklights are a good spotting tool. We owned one when we had problems, and it was somewhat useful. However, if the prior owner of your home had pets and the carpet is old...prepare to be horrified. In the human wolrd, there are medical tests that are not used because false positives can cause so much stress and lead to unnecessary medical procedures -- and blacklights are little bit like that. They are cheap and its worth getting one...just don't take it too seriously or you'll be spending thousands ripping up your carpet unnecessarily.

Also, she may need some help with stress;

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

This may also be useful to help her drink more;
How To Choose The Best Water Fountain For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks so much for the reply

The car incident was after a different vet visit when she swallowed one of my necklaces and had to have an endoscopy.
I’ll be sure to read the article on stress, I don’t know too much about what else cats do during stress but she hasn’t been over grooming or sleeping more/less than usual. Besides this weird bathroom problem she’s completely normal.

I’m cleaning for litter box today and replacing it with new litter, maybe she thinks it’s dirty Idk

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The car incident was after a different vet visit
Car rides and vet visits are stressful enough that, for example, a cat holds it like my Poppycat did one time in particular and then he ended up going in the car, poor boy.

Besides this weird bathroom problem she’s completely normal.
However, car rides aside, your baby's behavior all over the house with the addition of poop now is a very definite indication that she needs to see a vet, the sooner the better.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
Car rides and vet visits are stressful enough that, for example, a cat holds it like my Poppycat did one time in particular and then he ended up going in the car, poor boy.

However, car rides aside, your baby's behavior all over the house with the addition of poop now is a very definite indication that she needs to see a vet, the sooner the better.
Yea it’s starting to really concern me, thing is I always find her ‘gifts’ so much later so I can’t really punish her about them I don’t think she’d understand. I did clean out her litter box (scrubbed and washed it) then put in new sand and she immediately used it so that was nice