Not Using Litter Box

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A couple of things....in this very busy and stressful time I want to say that I did search this on TCS and read many of the responses to this problem, so I don't want anyone to take extra time that you don't have with this. Also, I am the one who, a few weeks ago, assured someone that I have never had an issue with a feral not using a litter box.

So, this is what is going on. I brought two formerly feral calico sisters into the house. It has been a long time coming as they were born under my neighbor's house 2 summers ago. Everyone TNRed. One, Alice, was very curious about the house, about the indoor cats, and started to come in and even sleep with me several months ago, but always wanted back out. The other one, Elise, was not as sure but would hang out with me outside and sit by my husband. When it started to rain a couple of weeks ago I brought them both in and they have not been out since. It has been going quite well all around.

I thought that everyone was using the litter box until I discovered that Elise had found a place next to our entertainment center next to a wall and behind a screen that I have there to hide all the cords. I cleaned the place up, used a deodorizer, put down pee pads to protect the floor (no carpeting) and brought in a new litter box with fresh litter. I then replaced the screen in case the whole problem was that she wanted privacy. She avoided the box but did use the pads, at least so far. I am not sure that these cats, the two girls and the more feral members of the family, actually buried their poop outside as I frequently found evidence of that in various places.

Anything else I should try to encourage her to actually get in the box. It is not covered, just one with the high sides; actually all the boxes are the same in the house. My other cats are very happy to have another box set up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless your heart for helping these cats! What about a little soil from outside added to her litter box?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple of things....in this very busy and stressful time I want to say that I did search this on TCS and read many of the responses to this problem, so I don't want anyone to take extra time that you don't have with this.
Wish I could help, but if I had anything at all to offer - as you said - you've already seen/read it.