Not Sure What's Happening

Sprucedude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

First post, glad to join this great community.

The wife and I picked up two kittens from the animal shelter 3 weeks ago and they've been pretty happy and frisky (aside from a bout of diarrhea when we got them, cured)

I noticed on Friday that one of them had some black spots on her chin and nose, I tried to clean them but they wouldn't come off. We took her to the vet yesterday and she got Chlorhexidine in a spray. We don't spray it directly on her, just put some on a cotton pad and dab it on her face.

This was Saturday afternoon, now she really doesn't have the best of luck as curiosity got the better of her and she tried to go into a space between the dishwasher and floor and got a bit stuck there, we got her out but her nose looks swollen and she's got a small cut next to her nose.

I've put in a pic on how it looks right now, will probably go to the vet tomorrow if things don't improve, the black spots don't look to be going away and we're worried her injuries may make the whole thing worse.

I guess what we're asking is, what are the black spots? Could they be kitten acne? Or something worse? They don't look to be swelling but there looks to be more of them. She's still playing and eating normally.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sprucedude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and just to add, she's also been sneezing for the past few days.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site! :hellocat: Thanks for adopting these precious souls.

I'm thinking it's acne, but don't take my word for it. Definitely keep an eye on it. I've read that the acne usually starts out as black bumps and sometimes will progress to red bumps that may burst.

When I adopted an elderly cat from the shelter he had acne, and it took awhile to go away (months tbh). The acne on his chin had progressed to the red bumps. There's many reasons for acne in cats (stress, poor immune system), and some are unknown. However for mine it was his feeding and poor grooming habits, he was a very messy eater wholeheartedly due to having no teeth so I had to clean his mouth and his bowls after each meal.

I've read that there's less bacteria on glass, metal or ceramic dishes than plastic ones. So maybe buy a different bowl if you already use a plastic one?

Additionally, wash the bowls out frequently. Can you imagine eating for weeks outta the same bowl :barfgreen:

Little warm compresses (not hot, warm) will help too if she can tolerate that though.

Aw so sorry to hear about her recent escapades. My childhood cat did that once, and we had to cut a hole in the wall to get her out. Little kitties are so good at finding small spaces.

It's always good to go to the vet if you can. The vet can also examine her for other possible injuries she sustained from crawling in that tight space. It's always better to be cautious!