Not sure what to do getting close to giving up

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay i never thought i would have to worry about money but i am now

I have a 9 year old cat that use to llive at my parents busines i moved and no one else would have taken her because of her problems

This year i spent thousands on her tests and took her the vet many times for uti infections THEY KEEP TELLING ME NOTHING IS WRONG BUT URINE IN HER BACTERIA AND I TRIED AND DID EVERYTHING TO PREVENT IT.  I called the vets they did not even call me back, my reg vet does not want to hear about it cause i did not use "Their" emergency clinic. No one gives 2 S...... about my pets or me, but why should they ? we are nothing.

I use to work and get money but i am a student now and i am running out, I just have one cat, 

LAst night she had a huge bladder explosion on my bed i did not even see her do it its like she was sitting and my whole bran new bed was soaked? It made no sense and yesterday was her last week on  anti biotics and i borrwed some from a friend for that

But the anti bioiics did nothing? I have no idea what to do, i am suppose to be in co op right now and could not even find a single place to do my practicum for school (vet tech) I just wanted to finish my school as fasat as possible to get a job so i could start paying my bills this is my second degree

I never thought in my life that i would run into this problem because i had so much saved working anyways my bran new bed soaked so i put hdryogene peroxide all over it and then covered it with a tarp and a towl how nasty does that sound?

My parents accuse me of fooling around and are not going to help at all anymore (they wanted me to go back to school) becausee i am not in or could not get co op just everything is crashing down I have a dog who gets allergy shots and ear treatment as well I really give up on myself and my pets i give up, i am the only one going through this and i never thought it would be possible. Bye.

Last edited:

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are not the only one going through this. Going to school and taking care of animals is hard to do.

I don't know what is going on with your cat. Is he or she blocking or straining or inappropriate urination? I would assume so if she or he is going on your new bed. Things can't be that bad if you could buy a new bed right?

Since you have seen the vets etc. the next question would be about litter boxes. You need to have two per cat or one box per cat  plus one. Also need to try different litters in one while keeping one the same. These are just basic suggestions. I don't know what is going on with your cat. So give more details and then we can try to figure it out or point you in the right direction.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well bed is seven months old and it was the first bed in maybe 10 years that is bran new

I read more and more it seems stress related problem??? Anti biotics on some sites are said that vets just keep perscribing it when the problem heals itself in a week? I am just reading conflicting stuff.  THey keep finding bacteria in her urine.

I wonder shes older and she does not want to deal with my dog anymore even if my dog likes her.  So i started to lock my dog up when shes awake and she did not go on my bed so far.  So she can walk around the house without my dog licking her.  Anyways I dont know if i am right.  I have 2 litter boxes for her shes the only cat.  There are other smaller species of animals here but they dont trigger any reaction from her only my dog does.  I am looking for a cheap divider like a room divider maybe i can divide areas up that way and prevent the dog going near her more.  THey got along together fine 4 years but now maybe she does not want to deal with the annoying dog.  Also I wont ever foster again because that would probably stress her.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you are training to become a Vet Tech, are you currently working for a Vet?  Do you get discounts on tests?  Have they tested for the specific bacteria that is present?  It's important to know so they can treat THAT SPECIFIC BACTERIA.   Also, since you know it can be related to stress, have you tried (other than separating her from the dog) other stress reducing measures?

Here is another thread that discusses UTIs that might be helpful, and there are dozens more that might help.  Just do a search under "UTI" at the top of the page:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/282558/uti

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dream and wish to be working for a v et but i cant even get co op work which is free work so i can finish my school.   In my area i have largest population of vets i am in the most populated area of canada most vets compared to chicago.  Can u imagine living in chicago and not being able to find a single ouut of the thousands of vets for co op? Just horrible luck.

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have tried every stress reducing method known to man and i am still using them stuff like fellaway collars and her beds and six foot scratching posts just for her posts all over the house her own bedroom etc... she has everything a cat could dream for maybe she has a billion toys also? I can't even believe my situation. She does not haveo ne cat bed she has 3 or 4 placed all over. She has the best scracthing post in the world and lots of mini posts.

I have small animals like birds and hedghogs but these are passive to her and do not want conflict and avoid her unlike the dog who wwants to lick her non stop

I wanted/dreamed about being a avian vet but at this pace i doubht i will be anything other than a mess, my dog (who has about 10) medical problems are under control fo rnow it seems though. Poor breeding. Amazing breeder.

Last edited:

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you had any interviews with any hospitals? Are you in school right? Shouldn't they be helping you find placement? I know the schools in California get the students their work experience jobs. If they don't help you with placement what are you doing to find a place?

This sounds bad but I know one of the biggest things not to say when looking to work at a vet hospital is to say that you really love animals and have had them all your life etc. For some reason this is a big turn off to a lot of vets.

Getting back to your cat. How was the urine sample obtained that they have been finding bacteria in? Is it read right there at the hospital or sent to a lab? Do you know what kind of bacteria? Has he ever blocked?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your regular vet isn't responding to you, I think it might be time to find a new vet... that's an example of the kind of vet office you don't want to work for if they're unwilling to answer questions about their patients when their owners are concerned about unresolved issues. Especially if you're training to be a vet tech, I would be wary if they're trying to dumb things down for you by being vague that they just found some bacteria. Even for lay men, there is a lot to know about bacteria and UTIs. 
It sounds like something may have happened health-wise when she stopped tolerating your dog and it's just persisted, especially if they used to get along fine, and she used to use the litter box without issue.

Something like a baby gate with a small hole to let your cat into one particular room where she feels most comfortable may help. That way, she'll always have a safe room to retreat to when she doesn't feel like dealing with the dog, and the dog won't be able to get through. It doesn't have to be huge and fancy. If you're handy, it could even be DIY or you could modify a cheap baby gate to cut a small cat-sized hole into it.

I'm a student pursuing my second degree and handling liver problems and cataracts with my parrots (something my parents say isn't worth the time or money), and kidney problems with one of our cats. It's stressful, but once you find the right support system in a good and trustworthy vet and fellow pet-lovers, it gets better. You are NOT alone.

Also, I know my avian vet up in North York has vet students shadowing them once in a while - my first appointment with them, my vet was accompanied by a student. I haven't seen too many techs around dealing directly with pet owners, but they are there. If you're particularly interested in avians, the North York and the High Park area vets are the best avian/exotic vets I've heard of. Try emailing or calling your program coordinator and contacting the vet's offices themselves to inquire. Even if it's too late to apply for this year, ask them to keep you in mind next time they have openings and be sure to follow up.

Last edited:

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 baby gates

this is the third vet ive taken her to

I am in another country maybe things are not the same here idk

they never told me what kind of bacteria

each vet has done full test panal because i thought it was cancer

she has over active thyroid shes on meds for but

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the urine sample is taken via injection into the bladder I already tried all the avian vets in the gta including the above

Last edited:

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know what her kidneys are like? Was there any recent bloodwork done that showed the creatnine and the BUN? If not it is fine. Just curious. also take a white paper towel and put it under her litter and see if you can determine what color her urine is. Don't harass her of course but see if you can figure out if her urine is clear or yellow. It should be yellow so if it is clear that might be an indication that she is not able to concentrate her urine and is having kidney issues. I only ask this because it can be a side effect of the thyroid pills.

What is the name of the antibiotics they are giving her. Is it the same one each time?

Probably different here in US than in Canada. Sorry.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats can pick up on the stress their people feel, and then become stressed too. try to stay calm, don't let yourself get overly stressed. i've had much stress during my lifetime, and i've gotten to the point that i don't let much get me stressed out. i've learned to just deal with things one at a time until they're taken care of, then move on to the next thing. it does me no good whatsoever to get worried and stressed out.

if your girl is developing these UTI's due to stress, then it's the stress/the underlying cause of the UTI's that will need to be fixed too. i think it's definitely worth seeing if keeping your girl and your dog separated helps.

is it an option for you to go back to school? can you afford to do that? it's sometimes a good option to consider when there aren't many job openings in your field/profession. and it can look better on a resume to have gone back to further your education, than to not be going to school or working.

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I once bought that litter it is suppose to tell us of the cat has uti it turns pink, it never turned any color but the vet still diagnosed her with it

kidney came back normal

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
school use to be an option till i finished half of the program and was unable to find co op (even though i had a 85 average)and then ran out of money i saved for school

There is a bran new food out called CD bladder stress this is what i am t rying now from what i read it has a fellaway effect on cats

she has not had any incident since? it was just so wierd she was sitting on my bed and then the whole bed was soaked so much that you would think a person went pee on my bed or even a big dog

I covered my bed with a tarp and then put sheets on top in case it happens again, i am thinking of pouring more stuff into it, its t oo heavy to carry

Last edited:

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They need to do a bacterial culture to determine the type of bacteria. Then the vets will know what type of antibiotic to treat with. Repeat bacterial infections could be an antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I'm assuming the cat has normal urine ph levels? If you do not know the cat's ph levels, call and find out. It should be tested with every urinalysis. Ask for the ph levels of every urinalysis you have had done. Make sure urinary ph is in the normal range.

Bacterial infections can increase urinary ph levels, but high urinary ph levels can also cause a bacterial infection.  If the urine is not acidic, it is easier for bacteria to grow.

Ask if there were any crystals present? if there were crystals present, what type? You may need to switch to a prescription diet.

The things I listed here should help. I would also switch the cat to Purina's Urinary tract diet (as it is over the counter) in the meantime.  You may still need the prescription diets, but you need to find out what the urinalysis says first.

If you could post the results of the urinalysis here, perhaps we could be of more help.

Goodluck. I have a cat with urinary issues, and yes I have had accidents on my bed.

I recommend buying some waterproof bed covers from walmart. They are cheap enough and work well. Every piece of furniture in my house now has a waterproof cover- the couch, the lounge chairs and the bed. I buy waterproof bed covers and cut them to size for the chairs, then put a pretty blanket on top, so my furniture doesn't look diaper wrapped.  Get safety pins to hold the corners in place, otherwise the blankets will slide. I also recommend a strap from the back of the chair to the top of the chair to keep the covers from sliding down when you sit.

I'm not nearly as inspired as this person, but you can make covers for your recliners:

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/03/slipcover-instructions/

You can buy this, and attach the waterproofing mattress cover underneath.  (just don't use vinyl mattress covers, they don't hold up).  Or you can buy your own fabric and make your own!

http://www.target.com/p/sure-fit-qu...4Pgdufs0g_rtOZYJjK8Q9jnCVbQ2ygpiRIhoCAxzw_wcB

Now that I have invested in waterproof covers, I no longer need them, but they are good to have anyways. Especially if a cat dumps your soda over onto your chair!

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And check the free ads from craigslist. People are always giving away beds that they no longer need. Especially when moving.  You should be able to get a new mattress easy enough. Just have to check every day!

I'm afraid the smell will be very difficult to get out. Better off trying to find a free bed.  If you were in Florida I have an old twin bed that I need to get rid of. It has been in the closet for years.

Last edited:

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this was special for me because i have sleeping disorder (apnea)

THe tarp is water proof isnt it?

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got the tarp from the dollar store the blue ones

It is sad but the bed is my only furnature

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First: the bed, I'd scrub it with a strong Lysol solution. For the odor problem, there is a product on the market called Nok-Out, only available online, its enzyme based - and you may have to spray the heck out of it a few times, let it dry in between, but it is great for urine odors. Also keep in mind that Lysol is toxic to the kitty, so keep the cat away when the Lysol step is in action / still wet / etc.
The Evil empire (Walmart) sells plastic mattress covers for incontinent folks for only a few bucks - it has elastic and d is just like a regular mattress cover, if you put it under your mattress cover, the crinkling as barely noticeable. At first it has a strong plastic odor, but it goes away quickly. I have one on my bed, my kitty sometimes has accidents. But the Nok-out is the best i have found for the odor neutralizing (i unfortunately have a lot of experience in the cat urine dept)

Second, find a new vet. See about getting a urine aspiration (they put the needle straight not the bladder and put it in a petri dish to see the specific strain of bacteria to treat). Explain your student status, esp going to school o be a vet tech, they may let you make payments. I had this done for my girl cat and expected it to be horribly expensive, it was somewhere around 100.

Seems the bacteria is recurring? I'd look into a low/no dust cat litter, unscented. The one I use (cat's pride 25% lighter in the green jug) is adequate but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Also, are you sure it is bacteria and not cystitis or stones?

I have to run shortly, so I didn't get a chance to read all the responses - if all this was already covered, apologies.

Cat urine is So very frustrating, esp on your bed. I feel your pain.

Last edited: