Not sure this is right place..looking for info on cat containment fence

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve currently got about 1000’ of horse fencing with two strand barbed wire at the top. My 3 out of 7 rescues go outside during the day and are put in at night but they know the rules...no climbing the fence. But I’m going to add 3 more rescues as inside/outside cats to the bunch.

So I’m looking at containment fence, NOT Electric, to keep them in.

Anybody had any experience with those types of add on fences where they spring down if a cat try’s to climb?

I know they look pretty expensive, but.well you know. Just want one that works.

I live in the country along a busy highway so any animals life expectancy is very short either from vehicle , coyotes, bobcats, or rednecks.

Thanks

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A single electric at the top looks good and won't harm anything. Lesson will be learned quickly by anything trying to cross it. Probably the cheapest method for a long distance.
16" wide sheet of "plastic corrugated roofing" (think greenhouse)....Fastened to the fence horizontally at the top all the way around. Not so appealing in appearance, but a cat can't get past that. No traction. Probably the second cheapest method.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve currently got about 1000’ of horse fencing with two strand barbed wire at the top. My 3 out of 7 rescues go outside during the day and are put in at night but they know the rules...no climbing the fence. But I’m going to add 3 more rescues as inside/outside cats to the bunch.

So I’m looking at containment fence, NOT Electric, to keep them in.

Anybody had any experience with those types of add on fences where they spring down if a cat try’s to climb?

I know they look pretty expensive, but.well you know. Just want one that works.

I live in the country along a busy highway so any animals life expectancy is very short either from vehicle , coyotes, bobcats, or rednecks.

Thanks
Yes, trudy1 trudy1 When we lived in the Mojave, some of our beloved cats were indoors with us (and we built them a very nice secured catio off the living room) and the others, who had been "community cats" were in the barn compound (2 12x12 barn stalls and a cat-fenced, secured compound). My ex, who no longer communicates with me, built out the compound including installing the fencing. Not able to upload photos at this time, but hopefully when they get that fixed, I'll be able to do so. You might also want to look at catioshowcase.com for some ideas on catios.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, trudy1 trudy1 When we lived in the Mojave, some of our beloved cats were indoors with us (and we built them a very nice secured catio off the living room) and the others, who had been "community cats" were in the barn compound (2 12x12 barn stalls and a cat-fenced, secured compound). My ex, who no longer communicates with me, built out the compound including installing the fencing. Not able to upload photos at this time, but hopefully when they get that fixed, I'll be able to do so. You might also want to look at catioshowcase.com for some ideas on catios.
Well, since three infamous 3 have almost 2 1/2 ac to run in that’s fenced 200’x400’x200’x400’ they are spoiled a little. I have 3 rescues I keep in the garage with outside access to three story catcatraz, as I call it. But just feel sorry they can’t enjoy the grass, mice hunting and stuff. Just crazy old cat man...ha! Ex won’t communicate? I’ve read your posts for years. IMO he’s the loser but that’s just an old mans opinion. Send pictures when/if you can

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since three infamous 3 have almost 2 1/2 ac to run in that’s fenced 200’x400’x200’x400’ they are spoiled a little. I have 3 rescues I keep in the garage with outside access to three story catcatraz, as I call it. But just feel sorry they can’t enjoy the grass, mice hunting and stuff. Just crazy old cat man...ha! Ex won’t communicate? I’ve read your posts for years. IMO he’s the loser but that’s just an old mans opinion. Send pictures when/if you can
We had one hectare (2.5 acres) as well. When I can post photos I will. Thanks. In any split, there's failure on both sides, actually.
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG

I don't have any really good pix of the top part of the fencing but you can see how it is bent inwards.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do know one person who has used it, and says that it worked like a charm. Her formerly indoor-only cats are now lounging safely in the yard, and have been for over a year now.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to recomend purrfect fence but Murmanyt1953 beat me to it. A catio is always an option.

I harness trained the 3 kittens then adopted 1. I have yet to find a harness my twerp can’t escape if he gets the leash taunt. Luckily he lets me catch him a minute or two later & put his harness back on. If my apartment allowed it I would build him a catio in a heartbeat!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to recomend purrfect fence but Murmanyt1953 beat me to it. A catio is always an option.

I harness trained the 3 kittens then adopted 1. I have yet to find a harness my twerp can’t escape if he gets the leash taunt. Luckily he lets me catch him a minute or two later & put his harness back on. If my apartment allowed it I would build him a catio in a heartbeat!
Yes, I’ve tried the harness thing on Gracie. She’s my Chick-fil-A rescue. Picked her up off their lot 7 oz, matted eyes, etc. Of course not now...ha! But she’s an expert at what I call “the backward crawl “ with a harness!

Attachments

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since there's an existing fence, you can use flexible fiberglass poles with netting attached to extend it. Less noticeable than corrugate plastic and the cats won't try to jump or climb anything that unstable. BUT, if you intend for them to have 24/7 free access to it, I don't know if I'd trust the netting to keep coyotes out. If it's just for daytime access I think it would be fine though.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since there's an existing fence, you can use flexible fiberglass poles with netting attached to extend it. Less noticeable than corrugate plastic and the cats won't try to jump or climb anything that unstable. BUT, if you intend for them to have 24/7 free access to it, I don't know if I'd trust the netting to keep coyotes out. If it's just for daytime access I think it would be fine though.
Yes, Day time only. I don’t worry about coyotes during the day. We have lots of non-working dog hunters that are out all the time. BTW, their dogs really scare my cats but that’s another story. Guess at least they aren’t hunting me!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, so am I. He was a finish carpenter for a number of years and anything that needed building, he could build it. It was a work in progress -- we were planning to do so much more! but even as it was, it provided comfort, shelter and hopefully happiness for our "barnies" ;)
I understand. I enjoy sitting on my deck and watching Gracie, Henry and dolly hunt in the tall grass. This is a shot off the deck of about half their yard. Oh, I also have guineas, pet bantam chickens in that little house...also laundry drying, sorry for that in the pictures!

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’ve tried the harness thing on Gracie. She’s my Chick-fil-A rescue. Picked her up off their lot 7 oz, matted eyes, etc. Of course not now...ha! But she’s an expert at what I call “the backward crawl “ with a harness!
If you pull up on the leash (like a straight line above your naughty kitty) it stops there backward crawl. Jackie escapes because I give him ‘yard’ time off my apartment porch. He escapes by looping around stuff (bushes, pots) & getting his leash caught.... which makes his leash taunt for his backward crawl. 🤦🏻‍♀️

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My escape artist is well watched & I ussually catch him before escape. I will untangle him and he stops. If he escapes he is real good about letting me catch him & put him back in his harness (which I then walk him a bit so the twerp gets a positive reward for letting me catch him & it doesn’t end his hunting fun (since he escapes usually to chase a squirrel.) I don’t think most cats will let you catch them that easily, staying very calm & walking after them helps.

Like I said if I could I would just build him a catio.
F271CE61-19D2-40C7-BB56-73EFD8432079.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, I THINK that the Purrfect Fence Company has "fence toppers" that can be added to existing fence...or take that idea, and build your own. ANY 45 degree angled overhang that the cats can see will keep them contained.