Not sure if my cats are fighting or just coinhabiting together.

miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I have a 8yr old cat and a new 3 month old kitten. My older cat is pretty accepting of other animals even dogs he doesn't mind. But upon getting the kitten he seems to run away all the time. At times they groom each other or sleep together. I put their bowls together for them to eat and drink together. But most of the day the kitten wants to play and it just ends up with hearing them run around the house and my older cat crying or hissing at him. There hasn't been any fighting as far as bleeding or something. But I'm not sure if this is normal or if i should do something more. The kitten loves the older cat he wants to be under him all the time and it just seems annoying to my other cat. Any tips or suggestions?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the older cat isn't very fond of the younger kitten's playful antics. It would be a good idea for you to spend a lot of time playing with the kitten to try and tire her out and get her to bug the older cat a lot less for play. Most older cats don't enjoy playing with kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he gets super annoyed. I'm thinking of buying one of those tall cat house things. To give them both something to do.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interactive play is your best option here - and lots of it! Kittens have seemingly boundless energy at times, and older adults particularly just want peace  from time to time - they don't mind a little play, but they don't want to keep going and going! It might be worth getting your 8 year old checked out though  - its just possible he's in pain (maybe the beginnings of arthritic changes), and being chase by the kitten is aggravating it.

A cat tree is a great idea, as is other vertical space such as cat shelves etc. This would also increase the available territory, which might in itself diffuse some on the tension.
[article="0"]Cat Play The Rules Of The Game  [/article][article="0"]Playing With Your Cat Ten Things Every Cat Owner Needs To Know  [/article][thread="297074"]Snick And Jaspers New Cat Wall Furniture  [/thread]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll look into cat shelves also. I never heard of those before