Not Sure If Kittens Are Eating

Cali's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat Cali had 3 kittens today. It is her 1st and only litter. Definitely wasn't planned.
I have delivered and cared for 2 orphaned litters a few years back, but I seem to be questioning my cat and her abilities.
Her deliveries somewhat smoothly, but I had to cut the 1st kittens cord. I'm not sure the kittens are eating. How do I know? They are content but I haven't seen them suckle at all. Cali is already eating and laying outside the basket, not for long periods.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best way to know is to weigh them. Here even every 12 hours.
Best in grammes.
My Cat Cali had 3 kittens today. It is her 1st and only litter. Definitely wasn't planned.
I have delivered and cared for 2 orphaned litters a few years back, but I seem to be questioning my cat and her abilities.
Her deliveries somewhat smoothly, but I had to cut the 1st kittens cord. I'm not sure the kittens are eating. How do I know? They are content but I haven't seen them suckle at all. Cali is already eating and laying outside the basket, not for long periods.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens should be gaining 10 grs every day. If mom is young and this is her first litter she may not know how to take care of the little ones. You could help her placing the kittens so that they can nurse. It is very important for the kittens to be warm. Please let us know if mom is keeping them warm and nursing them otherwise you will have to intervene yourself.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cali's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I will get a scale tomorrow. I was worried about the smallest one no matter what I did rubbing her cheek on the nipple her mouth on the nipple I even put kmr on the nipple and she wouldn't take it at first. And I went to check on them about an hour later that little one was latched on for dear life I'll keep you guys posted thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cali's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for not replying sooner, but amidst the joy of these adorable fur babies my sister passed.
So my problem of the babies not latching was entirely my error. Only Cali's bottom teets had milk. My mind was all over.
They are 19 days old today , doing well except Cali keeps taking one of the 3 out of my closet. But not the same one each time. Also sometimes when they latch to feed, she gets up and leaves them. Any ideas why?
20190614_130026.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the update, and I am so sorry about your sister.

They are so cute! Maybe the closet is getting a bit small for all of them, and that is why mama keeps taking one out of it? Chances are if you didn't intervene, she might move them all out (no, I don't mean for you to NOT intervene). Can you expand their area a bit?

I am not sure why she gets up and leaves at times when they want to nurse. As long as it doesn't happen every time, and they continue to gain weight, I wouldn't be too alarmed over it. Maybe someone else will have an idea about that.