Not sure if cat is Feral or Stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no way to know whether or not your resident cat can help bring him out of his shell - really depends on the cat(s). Just work on getting him used to your home before you begin introductions. The more comfortable he is with his new home, the more he will build up confidence.
Thanks, yeah I haven't really been able to read any articles regarding the subject, so I was curious. I don't know when they can be introduced as it's only been 6 days, but maybe in the next 2 weeks I can approach it slowly. He seems to be pretty calm during the day, so I'm hoping if anyone is mad when they're introduced it will be my resident cat (Maddie is her name) because I can actually restrain and touch her, lol. Thanks again! :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't really been able to read any articles regarding the subject, so I was curious. I don't know when they can be introduced as it's only been 6 days, but maybe in the next 2 weeks I can approach it slowly.
Do try to read this TCS article before beginning the introductions:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

And remember, it's better to go slowly, than to rush things, stress out the cats, and end up in a worse situation than before they met.

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW! Little breakthroughs yesterday and this morning! :woo:

Sorry In advance for the long post! Read if you'd like!

Yesterday in the attached pics we played together and he became a lot more comfortable out of his carrier while I was in the room. Every cat I've met so far LOVES Squirmles (I call them squirmy's for short, haha) and he is no exception. Great bonding time initiated thanks to that little yellow worm! I also got my best picture of him too. He does look like he's a bit of a sad boy with his teary eye, but hopefully that will go away. It looks a lot better though since he's been to the vet!👍 BTW the worm toy goes out of the room when I do so he doesn't eat it! lol

It was also so funny yesterday when I was playing with him I decided to give him treats. I wanted to see if he would take the treats out of my hand, but he swiped at me, which made me right away draw my hand back at my chest with the treat :whistle:. He IMMEDIATELY let out a big long stretch, like "I wasn't going to attack you, see I'm a good boy!" Omg, it was hilarious. Great to see his personality coming out. I'm trying my best to let him know that that behavior is NOT going to give him treats, haha.

I also took a nap on the floor last evening and he was on his cat tree, vet said he can jump now so now he can look out the window! I ended up making my little "come here, chirping noises" at him when I woke up form my nap and held out my hand to him and he actually came over and sniffed it and walked away. Key thing here is that he didn't bat at my hand which he usually does when he becomes unsure of me, so that was great!

He is getting better at associating the sound of the treat bag, so he gets very excited. This morning was the first time I've ever seen his talk all the way up. Even though it was only for a few seconds it made me so happy to see!

He still hisses and meows at me every morning when I walk into the room and is very particular about his food. I've been trying my best to feed him at a consistent schedule and feed the same amounts every time of the day. He's still not used to this because he acts like a a starving cat, but hopefully it will improve. I'm trying to allow room to give him treats during the day, so can't feed him and entire bag of food like he would like!

I'll be honest, I really started to have doubts as to what I had gotten myself into since he was so wild, but my confidence with him is building just as his with me. We're both in this together and I think that helps our bond. I'm prepared for setbacks in the future, but I'm happy every day to see him improving. Again, thanks for listening and all your support! It has helped him and I so much! :rock:

Attachments

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops typo error!

see edit below -

He is getting better at associating the sound of the treat bag, so he gets very excited. This morning was the first time I've ever seen his tail all the way up. Even though it was only for a few seconds it made me so happy to see!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, what a wonderful update. Just what I needed to read, after all the depressing news everywhere in the media.

Does Kitty have a name yet? That will help with your bonding with him. :petcat:

I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking he must be a stray or dumped former pet, because he just doesn't have that fearful feral look in his eyes. Plus, ferals generally don't understand play, which your boy seem to.

I'm glad you mentioned taking the worm toy out of the room when you're not there, as I was about to give a warning about that type of toy. For anyone reading, I'll mention it anyway, as that type of toy can be swallowed by a cat, and require surgery to remove it. Here's an older TCS thread on the topic: Lets Talk About Dangerous Cat Toys

Thanks for the lengthy update. I read every word. Looking forward to the next update. :catrub:

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a wonderful update. Just what I needed to read, after all the depressing news everywhere in the media.

Does Kitty have a name yet? That will help with your bonding with him. :petcat:

I'm not an expert, but I'm thinking he must be a stray or dumped former pet, because he just doesn't have that fearful feral look in his eyes. Plus, ferals generally don't understand play, which your boy seem to.

I'm glad you mentioned taking the worm toy out of the room when you're not there, as I was about to give a warning about that type of toy. For anyone reading, I'll mention it anyway, as that type of toy can be swallowed by a cat, and require surgery to remove it. Here's an older TCS thread on the topic: Lets Talk About Dangerous Cat Toys

Thanks for the lengthy update. I read every word. Looking forward to the next update. :catrub:
Oh, I'm so glad to have lifted your spirits! 😊 I totally agree, good news is such a refreshing thing to read these days!

Also, thank you for sending me that link about the toys. I actually have that Pet Stages toy in the room with him and didn't think it was harmful! I've put it away now. Crisis averted! :happycat:

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!

I'll start with the bad news first - We've had this little guy for two weeks now and still can't decide on a name! His personality is changing every day, first he was hissy and mean, but now he's becoming a sweetheart! I've been calling him Pickles though because it's cute. So not BAD news, just wish I had a official name to call him!

Onto the good news! - It's been two weeks and yesterday was the first day he rubbed up against my legs! Today was the first time I had him sleep near my feet while I was under a blanket and today was also the first time I heard him purr! He almost purred the whole entire time he was sleeping! He actually scooched up to my hand and I was able to scratch his forehead and cheeks and he let me without a problem! Usually he does not let me pet him at all! :cloud9:

He is no longer hiding in his cage and has his tail confidently up in the air almost all the time now! Great for me since I can finally tell if he healed up after the neuter, lol!

II think he is really starting to warm up to his new home! I'm so happy with his progress! Hope you are all safe and well and thanks for listening! ☺

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's great news. As for a name, Pickles is kinda cute. What's your other cat's name?

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Need some help with a stray cat situation. I've had a little visitor coming to my front porch for about a week and a half now, not sure if he's a "he" or she's a "she", but my gut tells me he's a boy, so right now I'll label him that. Like the title says, I'm having a hard time reading if this cat is true feral, or a cat who has been lost for quite some time. Here's some info. I have regarding our interactions.

Time Line -

First night I saw him was because my indoor cat was growling at the window, only for me to look out and see a little black and white cat curled up next the window near under our tree. Probably 3 1/2 ft away from our window. He actually just looked up at me and didn't run away when my cat and I were looking out the window, but when I went outside with treats he ran away. He looked to be 1- 1 1/2 years old.

He came back again the next night and I had wet food prepared. He ate right in front of me while I was a stone statue pretending I wasn't there. This has now been a routine for a week and a half, progress has been made with daily feedings. I give him wet food and some dry. He's licked wet food from my spoon, sniffed my hand twice (I swear I almost passed out because I forgot to breathe because I was being so still! haha), we've slow blinked together ;). At this point I still have never tried to pet him, he's still way too skittish.

Fast forward to the last night couple of nights, which have been interesting . He always now comes up to our patio window and looks inside, I leave the blinds open a little to peak his curiosity. When I come to the window he doesn't run away. I think it's because he sees me as food, but my human mind says he's longing to come into a safe warm home (Geez I wish!). It's still a little cold at night and in the morning where I live, so I feel so bad for him being outside! He also rolls on the patio, because again, I think he's excited when he sees me making food through the window. I should point out that he's never hissed at me, that is until this morning when I opened the "loud" patio door, I think I scared him, but hopefully he doesn't hate me forever now for it! Other than that he's never hissed or lashed out at me.

My question for you guys is if you think he could be feral or maybe someone's lost cat? I'm going to post his picture online in case he is someone's cat, but I've been looking online everywhere to see if someone's posted about him and can't find anything. We've actually been searching to adopt a cat in the past month and a half and are completely open to keeping him if he does end up working out for us and we work for him. I just don't know if he would feel comfortable in our home, he seems to be warming up to me, but he still has a lot of trust issues, which I completely expect. I know it takes a lot of time and patience and I'm willing to put forth the daily effort, but I don't know how to trap him and if I do, should I bring him straight to the animal hospital? If there is hope for this cat to be socialized I would like to take that job on, but if I bring him for TNR I don't know if I could have the opportunity to keep him...

I should mention that I do have a room ready from him upstairs if we do trap him and get him in the house. I only have a pet carrier and not a official TNR trap which I put outside last night with his wet food inside, but I don't know if I would ever be able to close him in there, again he's too skittish and runs FAST. I'm just a little apprehensive because I would like to have tests run for FIV & FeLV and hopefully he's negative because I have another cat. Probably should have him get a basic checkup at least tested for those right away for piece of mind.

I don't know guys, feral or lost cat? What do you think?
I added pictures of the little guy as well!

Sorry for the long post and thanks! :)
OMG, I think I just wrote the same in my request for help on Ruby. They even look similar! Black and white and your porch is similar to mine as well :cool: . I would love to get Ruby to the vet, but right now may not be a good time. I'm afraid she might run away. I too will be as patient as needed to get her to becoming our pet. Good luck and please keep me posted! Whatever you do I will try too.

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, I think I just wrote the same in my request for help on Ruby. They even look similar! Black and white and your porch is similar to mine as well :cool: . I would love to get Ruby to the vet, but right now may not be a good time. I'm afraid she might run away. I too will be as patient as needed to get her to becoming our pet. Good luck and please keep me posted! Whatever you do I will try too.
Whoa, what a coincidence! 😮 I read your thread and that’s pretty cool that we have so many similarities with our situations! 🤗 Yea, my little guy definitely wasn’t anywhere near as friendly or close as it sounds Ruby is with you when I was feeding him outside. That’s amazing that she’s snuggling with you though! He was really scared as well, but I ended up getting a good deal on a trigger plate trap and that’s how I was able to catch him and bring him to the vet. I tried luring him in with a regular carrier, but he was just too skittish by any sound and would literally fly out if he felt a slight breeze. I was also scared because it seemed like he was relying on me for so much and it was difficult to sleep knowing he was outside and with the dangers of the world, we also have coyotes, so I was freaked out by that thought too.

I’m really glad I was able to bring him to the vet right away for peace of mind. Knowing that he was healthy and safe was great. I think your girl is very similar to mine because she’s too scared to be trapped, but if all else fails for you the trigger plate trap worked great for my to catch him and seems like it would work for your girl. I know they’re available for rent, but with COVID-19 I ended up just buying one online at Harber Tool & Frieght for $24.99 ($28.00 total with signup discount promo code + shipping and handling).

You’ll catch her in time, I know it! 👍 She already trusts you so you’ve already got a huge obstacle out of the way. Yes, they’re always mad and crazy looking when they go to the vet. I mean my vet was immediately telling me there was no way she could look at him without sedating him and was basically telling me I was going to be taking home a wild animal! It’s been two weeks and I guess I have a sunggly cute wild animal who already loves me! ❤ I’m wishing you and Ruby the best! With love and dedication she will know she’s safe in your home. What’s also helped with us is consistent feeding and quality time schedules! Worked wonders for him to trust us and get used to being indoors! I’ll follow your thread too for updates! 🍀 :goodluck:

Attachments

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback provided here. Here's a pic of my little girl inside. When I look at this picture, I think she looks so calm. What's the deal? Then I have to remember that I don't know her experiences and what she has been through. We don't really have a lot of predators in our housing tract so I'm okay for now with having a partially inside and mostly outside love :) I know she will come around and be our pet someday. Patience is something I have an endless supply of when it comes to animals. I might open a window at night to see if she would come in on her own. I will never give up on her!
1586124871814.png

Jel_Puff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback provided here. Here's a pic of my little girl inside. When I look at this picture, I think she looks so calm. What's the deal? Then I have to remember that I don't know her experiences and what she has been through. We don't really have a lot of predators in our housing tract so I'm okay for now with having a partially inside and mostly outside love :) I know she will come around and be our pet someday. Patience is something I have an endless supply of when it comes to animals. I might open a window at night to see if she would come in on her own. I will never give up on her!
View attachment 328951
She looks like my cat Maddie! 😻 She’s adorable! I think like others have said that she needs to build up confidence to stay inside, but it definitely seems like she is very interested in coming into your house. I’m sure you’ve put food in your house when she comes in, because I found with my guy that positive reinforcement (mainly really good wet food) is the best way to get him comfortable with his new space. Since she already came into your house I think she’ll be more inclined to do so if she knows it’s a source of food. Honestly, if it wasn’t for stinky canned cat food, there would be no way I’d have caught my little guy. I hope her tummy makes it easier for you to get her inside quicker!😸 Also, since she is TNR’d then you don’t have to worry about getting her spayed! Do you have any other cats at home?