Not sure I did the right thing with a stray kitten (LONG)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glentheman20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and encouragement, it's so nice to have your support. At first, it feels a little strange to admit that I feed cats; my friends jokingly say that I'm becoming "The cat man"! I guess the stereotype is of the old cat lady who is sort of out of touch with reality and gets swarmed by an army of felines when she goes to feed them. Then I remember that everyone here LOVES cats and nothing is strange when it comes to doing good for our kitties

In other news, I've fed Raku (I've name the new stray cat Raku because he/she has markings similar to a raccoon) three days in a row. Last night, I got to the place, and again there were no cats in sight. I shook the bag, put the food down, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw Raku running towards me (she was about 50 feet away). At that point I opened up the can of food and started scooping it out on some paper plates I "borrowed" from work (hey, they never use them!). Raku was really hungry, and I could see that she wanted to run up and gobble the food but didn't want to get too close to me. She would walk towards me, back off, walk to the left and right, sit down, walk towards me again but didn't approach until I sat down. I was only 5 feet away!

Oh yeah, for those in the Bay Area, I've contact Furry Friends Rescue in Fremont, so I'll see if I can work with them. If not, I'll try some of the places y'all mentioned.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the name Raku! What a clever name to give her. I hope the Furry Friends Rescue turns out to be a good place to volunteer -- and that they can help you start a TNR program with Raku's little colony.

BTW, I noticed that you said "y'all." Were you originally from the South? Or, have you simply learned what a handy word this is?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Glen! Glad she's still coming around.

Just a quick comment - I posted lots of links to places that I thought might assist you, or that might know of someone or an org that might assist you in taking care of that colony. It is a LOT of work trapping and getting everyone spayed/neutered and vaccinated, let alone getting them fed and "watered" on a daily basis, though you don't have to make that kind of commitment to the colony up front. But you'll wind up there, I'm pretty sure...

And as far as our Vet is concerned, Gary (hubby) is the "crazy cat lady" (so to speak) of our town! They call him The Cat Man of Blairstown, LOL!

Again, good luck, and keep us posted.