Not sure about vaccines, blood work

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Is it safe for a cat to have the rabies vaccine and the Fvrcp vaccine all on the same day as getting blood count test and urine test? Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's perfectly fine to do so and saves anoter trip to the vet later. Just be aware that getting both the rabies and FVRCP vaccines together may cause a cat to be a little lethargic / sleepy for a day or so afterwards. This is a normal reaction and there's no need to worry as long as the cat is eating and drinking and using the litter box.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly fine to do so...
Sure, it's perfectly fine.........if the cat's well - in good health.

So, the question then becomes...........why is the cat having blood and urine testing?

M ModernCatLady - if there's any question about health, I'd advise holding off on vaccinating until any questions are answered or issues resolved.

Are these the cat's very first/initial vaccinations?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just FYI my cats' vet will not give more than 2 shots at at time under any circumstances, so you should be fine, but if they suggest more vaccines I would not allow it on the same day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is a blood and urine test necessary even if they're not sick? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to get a baseline to compare future blood work and urine tests to. Any differences between now and later may be concerning to the vet and warrant a close eye on, such as kidney values.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good to get a baseline to compare future blood work and urine tests to. Any differences between now and later may be concerning to the vet and warrant a close eye on, such as kidney values.
Oh that makes sense thanks! He had a blood test done when he was 9 months old and everything came out normal except high phosphorus and said that can be due to eating high protein food. He turned 1 years old in June so I guess I just thought it was too soon to be doing it again already. Thanks for your response :)

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Just got home my cat had the rabies vaccine and fvrcp vaccine done as well as taking his blood pressure/kidney blood panel. I feel so bad I should have just done the rabies and that's it. He seems so tired hes sleeping on the floor I'm so worried I made the wrong decision. If hes still sleepy tmrw should I take him back? Please help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for a cat to lethargic after getting both rabies and FVCRP vaccinations :) He'll be fine tomorrow.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for a cat to lethargic after getting both rabies and FVCRP vaccinations :) He'll be fine tomorrow.
Oh goodness thank you so much I needed some reassurance. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for worrying about my cat so much but I just adore him lol. He actually just peed in his litterbox so that's good!