Not so much feral but abandoned

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a cat completely hairless and covered in parasites six years ago. I took him straight to the vet then home. This Monday morning I heard a lot of growling and a very young kitten crying outside the house in the garden. I went to pick it up, it was skin and bone. It's a beautiful kitten and extremely well behaved, however established cat not happy with kitten entering the house, so poor little thing sleeping under the back porch all day and night, each day it tries to approach cat to make friends. Today fur flew. I'm in Thailand, the locals dump their unwanted animals over the fence of the nearest 'farang', we expats. Kitten runs away from me after being fed, waiting for cat to accept it first it appears. I've read it can take up to a year. Help!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the poor thing meds to come inside right away. Waiting for them to be best mates can take to long. If ever. 99%of cats adjust. Just use the methods given on this sure for slow introduction. Keep apart at min of a week and do slow intros. Smells first, then visual.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies but it doesn't work that way in Thailand. For one, it's very warm here and I have a huge open plan house, locking it in a room by itself would be impractical and cruel. It's been here under the large storage area sleeping on a bunch of stacked timber, always in the same place. I'm assuming this is to be able to avoid any snakes and have easy access to food/toilet. I feed her twice daily. I'm not about to stress her out further by chasing after her, even if I could, and she can't get out. My local pharmacist friend told me to just give it time, so it seems that's all I can do. There are abandoned cats everywhere here. Irresponsible culture. At least resident isn't growling at her any more. And she's safe and well fed. Vet will come for neutering and jabs when she's willing and a bit older, same resident cat. Thanks for your time.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - so glad you found this site! It can be really helpful - and the members are great listeners and advice givers. Hope you keep coming!

I've had friends live in Thailand for awhile, and the treatment of all animals is definitely thought of in a very different way then in the States, etc. Very hard for many of us to understand, but I know what you're saying is sadly true. Since you aren't wanting to bring her inside for treatment - which I understand, particularly given where you are - but is it possible to put her in a bathroom? Even just while she's being treated? Helping her medically will definitely give her a much better shot at surviving. But I hear what you're saying about bringing her in. Was just thinking if you did it for a short period - it won't upset your resident kitty as much, it'll likely help the outside kitty alot. Her stress level for the short time of treatment will very likely fade away - and she'll forgive you! As someone who's trapped and treated many ferals and semi-ferals, while it's STILL hard not to feel they'll 'hate you forever' they really don't. And while it feels like that, it might help to remember that it could truly mean affecting not just her general comfort and relationship with you, but especially her survival.

But if that's not an option - when you mentioned that a vet will come to neuter and vaccinate - would the vet come to help with her, and at least give her a flea and tick treatment and an antibiotic injection? I think her comfort (and again - survival chances) would be much greater if so. We actually treat our ferals (that we fixed) with a flea treatment from the vet - it's pretty easy to give them some so while they're eating. And it certainly sounds like she's trusting you and might allow you to do that. One of our guys was SO skinny I thought we'd lose him. But after giving him the prescribed flea/tick/parasite med on his neck, he looked like a new cat in less than a week! He was a bit skittish of me for a few days after we treated him, but he quickly forgot (an extra treat or two helped alot).

I hope you keep us posted - and good luck!