Not Really Feeling Anything...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix has never really been one to accept new animals into his territory. He used to beat up another female cat we had until blood was shed. I figured this time would be different because I haven't just thrown Fay and Fel together. They've been separated for the most part. Fay was content with the basement but she's suddently starting to cry. I've just opened the door and she ran up and is walking around. Something she has never done before. She seems more comfortable now and wants to be all over the house. But Fel is not allowing this. I'm scared Felix will traumatize her by hurting her. Fay is very friendly with him and doesn't mind him. She tries to rub on Fel and purrs but he screams loudly and hisses. Then, he projects his anger onto everyone else in the house. Sometimes, when he's especially stressed, Fel will poop in inappropriate places. But he only does this when he's extremely stressed out. I'm afraid that if they start fighting, Fel will resort to pooping in our beds again.

She's not totally isolated in the basement by the way. I didn't just throw her down there and lock the door. My mom and I are down there every day. And she does switch with Felix sometimes (he will go in the basement and she will take the upstairs).

She's still crying upstairs... she came upstairs and has continued to cry and walk around. Is it possible she's looking for her babies or a way to escape the house? She's also purring while crying...

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is expressing her anxiety about what she perceives as a new situation. She needs comforting and special attention while she acclimates after having babies and being so sick before. She is purring to comfort herself.

Now she is healthy and needs to settle in and find her comfort zone. Can you give her this? Can you bring her in your bedroom with you at night to sleep with you and keep Felix out?

Fayola needs this from you, and Felix, as the resident cat, needs to accept that he has to share his space now. He will if you insist on it and cater to Fayola as much as you cater to Felix.

This may take a few weeks to a few months. Don’t be afraid to set boundaries with Felix and let him know that he can’t run Fayola off into the basement. And she needs extra attention now.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
We let her upstairs and she cried the whole night in the hallway. We left all the room doors open and she wouldn't sleep with us. She went into the spare room and slept on the bed.

She's fine if we call to her and pet her but as soon as my mom and I are out of sight, she starts meowing loudly again.

Is there anything that can be given to a cat for anxiety/depression?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her crying indeed has partly to do with losing her kittens. A few years ago, there was a feral cat in the neighborhood that lost her kittens to a couple of dogs I was told, and that momma cat for 2-3 days would walk around yeowling pittifully. After a few days, she was fine. You could tell losing them was emotionally painful to her.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried picking her up and she freaked out the second time. The first time, she didn't mind too much but was still uncomfortable.

She seems to only cry when we leave her. I was just upstairs with her, I left to fix some food and she started meowing loudly upstairs.

I'm sure she's had lots of bad experiences before me. I've known this cat since 2010 and she went missing for several years.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she is still swollen and tender, it may hurt to be picked up. Try calling her to you and lay on the floor around her. Kind of curl with her the way a kitty would. You can also try calling her to your bed. She may need something lower to jump up on to get to you. It’s all about giving her your love and a feeling of security and safety. She needs you more than anything. :)
Sorry I can’t be here more but having troubles getting posts out lately.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Fayola - she is confused, probably still hurting and her maternal instincts are probably still strong. Comforting and babying her while she grieves and heals physically are probably the best medicine for her. How does she respond to comfort grooming? Does she show any interest in play yet (not sure if that is advisable physically)? Have you reassured her that her kittens are okay and thriving? Thank you for keeping us updated!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
She loves being brushed and washed! Oh, I forgot about this totally. When she was pregnant, I used to fill a stainless steel bowl with warm soapy water and wipe her down. She loved that so much. I'll have to do that tomorrow when I get home from school. I don't really have any toys for her to play with... I tell her almost everyday that her babies are doing great. Hopefully she will settle tonight and sleep.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates on Fayola? Are her bags still engorged? How is she behaving? any updates on the kittens?
I'm SO sorry. Did not see this message for some reason.

Fayola's breast have gone down now. They are just slightly sagging. Her hair is also growing back. She has a tumor or some sort of growth on her ear so she's going to the vet this weekend to check it out. Other than that, she is great. Eating and drinking well. Getting along well with Felix. They just fight when it comes to food time because she feels threatened. She doesn't want her food to be taken away.

The babies are great! Eating solid food now.

20191016_165359.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud: be still my beating heart!! Cuteness overload.....look at the tiniest - squeeee, so adorable!! What a wonderful update!! You have done an amazing job at facilitating the rescue of this kitty family - what a journey it has been. Thank you for the update & prayers for continued success.