Not Really Feeling Anything...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:agree: Taking over the babies yourself gives them a fighting chance. As for Fayola, you need to ask some hard, point-blank questions from shelter management first: do they offer treatment in an ISO ward while putting out word for rescues to try to find fosters to pull the family? what are their success rates with live exits for similar situations? It's a real toss-up there: can you look up the Urgent Cats FB or Instagram group for your local shelter & hopefully see how many cases like yours that they are trying to get rescued?
Can you consider trying to get vet funding yourself? At around 11pm PST last night, a rescuer was able to get enough funding in MS to take an emergency group of neonates to the vet for $104. Funding was done through PayPal. It doesn't always work so well but it can happen. And fortunately the attending vet had compassion and examined all 4 babies for the 1 price.
Lots to consider!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ideally Fayola gets treated and the babies stay with her, and that means with you. I’m almost afraid the outcome will be WORSE if you take her to the shelter.

Have you fed the kittens yet? Are they nursing?

Is there any way you could set up a payment plan at a vet and then a Go Fund Me? I’m sure a few of us could donate a few dollars.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry - MS meant Mississippi. I noted PST which is Pacific Standard Time. I am CA and was on the phone with those brave ladies driving through the night to help those poor babies. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , your advice about pinching off the entangled umbilical cords was very valuable in the MS case; sadly, one tiny already had septicemia and didn't make it but it looks like the other sickly one is responding to last night's (for them, early morning) antibiotic injection. Your emphasis on the umbilical cord issue made a huge difference, even off the TCS site :salute::clap:

And I hope that we can get enough funding for Fayola to get a vet visit. Life is so hard for pregnant strays and ferals; poor kitties do such a good job at hiding their miseries until things reach crisis level. I thank God that Graceful-lily is her guardian :soldier::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've called the shelter, an emergency clinic and no one is picking up. The room is starting to smell because of the kitten. Should I take the kittens from her now and look after them?

Fayola hasn't touched her food or water and I'm scared.

OH MY GOD! The kittens intestines are on the floor. I almost threw up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why are you separating them? Just take one kitten at a time to feed if they need feeding, then put it back with mom.

Do you have kitten milk or what are you using?

What is your city and state so we can try to get you some help today for Fayola? You need to help us so we can help you.

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to separate because mother will not allow me to remove dead kitten and it's a mess. There is blood and it smells. Plus, one kittens cord is still attacked.

I live in Canada.

She has barricaded herself with the dead kitten and kitten with cord still attached. I don't think they were feeding well. There is another tiny kitten who is weak. I don't want him to suffer the same fate as his sibling.

What else am I supposed to do?

Last edited:

GlitterKittie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an awful experience for you, I’m sorry you’re having to go through this and all you wanted to do was help this poor family. To be honest what I would be doing now would be the blanket approach over her head to stabilise her. There will be videos on YouTube I’m sure, just a small blanket quickly thrown over her head so she cannot see and then get in quick and get the kitten who is still attached. At that point you need to separate the umbilical cord and get some Caro syrup or honey water onto the gums of the little one as rapidly as possible. Good luck

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can use a soft , slightly warm damp cloth to , very gently, wipe the worst off ,it would be good but they need to be kept warm. A heating pad on lowest setting or just thoroughly drying them.

Mostly, Try to put something clean in place of the old bedding. You’re doing great.